Castle Hill off Waingate

I know its going back a long time now, perhaps into the 1930's, but can anyone out there remember this street which ran off to the right down Waingate. It was a street which ran between Castlegate and Exchange Street?

Hi SUTman,

I believe Castle Hill, as was, is now subsumed within the boundaries of Castle Market. A look at Fairbanks map of the 1700s would give you a better idea.

The following is from the council's website about Sheffield Castle.

1764 - The Reverend Edward Goodwin of Attercliffe stated in an article for "Gentleman's Magazine" that no visible traces of the castle existed, apart from street names including Castle Hill, Castle Folds, Castle Green and Castle Lathes.

A plan of Castle Hill in 1785 and other surviving surveys show the adjacent tenements and the main site mainly occupied by a bowling green, public houses, old shops, cottages, slaughter houses and iron furnaces. "The Sheffield Local Register" quotes that earlier in the century:

"The inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood were less distinguished by the elegance and refinement of social life, than by their feelings of independence and rigid honesty, by hospitality and crude and boisterous conviviality. There are no assemblies, no theatre, and the principal amusements of the place were the sports at the castle bowling green, and social meeting at the taverns".

:)

...I believe Castle Hill, as was, is now subsumed within the boundaries of Castle Market..
Yes - here's a scan from the 1942 Kelly's Directory.

Thanks for the info BillyWhiz and hillsbro. Wish these areas were still in existance.