Laptop help, needed!

Im having a bit of an issue my laptop at the moment, its really slow starting up and when it eventually gets on, it will stay on for about 20 minutes then just switch itself off.

I have no idea why this might be might be unless it’s a problem with a program ive installed.

Any ideas what this may be or what I could do to sort it?

Cheers

maybe a bit more info ie make model so on so on maybe of lil help

Could be overheating and shutting down to protect itself

Apologies, its a packard bell.. Dont have it with me at the moment. Did a spyware check and nothing was found. Can dropping a laptop have this affect?

Sorry for being so vague, im not the best at explaining these sort of things.

Well if you have dropped it, that won't have helped.

Like someone else said, it could be overheating.

Do you hear the cooling fan running, if not the drop might have dislodged it or something ?

laptops really are more hassle than they are worth.

Cheers guys, its a packard bell easynote TJ74, might just run it round corner to a computer shop see what they think...

The more than likely problem with your computer is that the computer is starting up alot of programs on startup. The best way to fix this is start up the computer, click start, run, and type 'msconfig' if you go accross to the services tab and go down the list and untick what you don't need running at startup. If you are not sure what your doing I would not reccomend you to do this as you could disable a critical file from starting on startup.

Easypcs.

The more than likely problem with your computer is that the computer is starting up alot of programs on startup. The best way to fix this is start up the computer, click start, run, and type 'msconfig' if you go accross to the services tab and go down the list and untick what you don't need running at startup. If you are not sure what your doing I would not reccomend you to do this as you could disable a critical file from starting on startup.

Easypcs.

Why would it switch off after 20min if that was the case?

They was a virus around a couple of week ago with the process name of hiberna32d.exe process which was restarting pcs after 20minutes. After you have done the 'msconfig' it will be a good idea to run malwarebytes antivirus as this program currently has the update to remove this virus.

Easypcs.

p.s also i'd check as routine your thermal compound paste to make sure the heat is been transfered sufficently between the cpu and the heatsink.

They was a virus around a couple of week ago with the process name of hiberna32d.exe process which was restarting pcs after 20minutes. After you have done the 'msconfig' it will be a good idea to run malwarebytes antivirus as this program currently has the update to remove this virus.

Easypcs.

p.s also i'd check as routine your thermal compound paste to make sure the heat is been transfered sufficently between the cpu and the heatsink.

LOL You said it's most likely got too many programs running at startup and now your saying it's a virus ok then LOL. OP already stated he ran a check for spyware...

I'm helping the OP how to solve his problems and you're dishing out abuse. By the way, I said check for 'malware' not 'spyware', don't know if you know the difference? I'll post a quick outline below to explain to people what each particular definition means;

*Virus is a program to cause damage to computer.

*Trojan is a program which is used to gain access to a computer by installing a program on infected PC to open some backdoor. [Trojans are also known as Backdoors].

*Worm is a program which infects the computers which are connected by some network. Worms slow down the network.

* Spywares are the program which are used to monitor/Log the activity performed on a computer. These are used to spy on some one either for legal or illegal perpose. Example: Keylogger applications.

* Adwares are the programs which delivers ads to your computer (generally in POP-UP's form). They consume your network.

*Malwares are the program with malicious intention. It can be damaging your computer, turning it off, restarting, ejecting your ROM drive, and spying on you or any other malicious task.

Easypcs.