Where to buy a telescope in/around Sheffield?

Hi all,

Birthday coming up, and my 7 year old is interested in all things starry and would like a telescope.

So, can posters kindly point me to anywhere local and reputable where one can buy a telescope?

Thx much in advance :)

Every so often Lidl include a telescope as one of their specials. I have no idea of the quality, but their binoculars are usually reckoned to be good quality for not much money which may be a good sign. If they do have one in the near furure, it may be worth doing a search to see what other people think.

Thx for the recommendations so far.

I need it by Friday latest, so LIDL is out. Thx all the same Eater

I'll be dropping by Toys R Us this lunchtime to check theirs out, but am not expecting much over/above what Argos has to offer :huh: (save for branded toys, it's usually overpriced sub-spec Chinese stuff)

I'm trying to find entry-level, but a known reputable brand, e.g. Tasco. smithy266, great suggestion and thx. Can anyone recommend a particular camera or optician shop?

Jessops camera shop

There's a camera shop called Harrisons on London Road which has a good reputation, and you could also try Jessops in town as well. It might also be worth checking out John Lewis as they're bound to have something in their camera department.

I bought a pair of binoculars from www.scopesnskies.com about a year ago, and they have a wide range of kit online, but that might be a bit tight if you need it delivering for Friday.

Rother Valley Optics Ltd

21 Station Road

Kiveton

Rotherham

S26 6QP

Telephone Numbers: 01909774521 / 01909774369

They have a web site as well (rothervalleyoptics.co.uk)

I noticed Best Buy UK, the new electrical retailers at Rotherham Parkgate had a couple in this weekend.

ok point taken regard stoys r us

How about Harrison Camera shop on London rd.

ok point taken regard stoys r us

I wasn't having a go at you bebopaloola, sorry if it came across that way :)

Thx very much to you all for your suggestions (and great to see SF 'working' as it should), I now have plenty of options to check out :thumbsup:

Hi all,

Birthday coming up, and my 7 year old is interested in all things starry and would like a telescope.

So, can posters kindly point me to anywhere local and reputable where one can buy a telescope?

Thx much in advance :)

You won't get a decent telescope for under three figures, and if truth be told it's a four figure sum these days.

I always recommend that you are best starting off with a decent pair of binoculars - you will see *much* more through them than you will through any grotty plastic lensed thing you get from somewhere like Argos or Lidl. If Harrison photovideo is still on London Road I'd recommend seeing what they have in. remember for night work you need a larger pupil diameter so want something like 7x50 or 12x80 rather than the more common 10x50 daylight binoculars.

If you really do want a scope, start here..

http://www.telescopehouse.com/

You might also want to consider a trip to Sheffield AStronomical societys open evenings - they have some excellent scopes that you can look at and get some advice.

http://www.sheffieldastro.org.uk/

This weekend coming - solar astronomy the safe way...

Edited by Obelix