TJ Hughes branch relocation MEGATHREAD

I think the latter part of your post is probably the main cause of the crisis. I now buy most of my bits and bobs on-line as its much cheaper. I don't think the extra bit of VAT has made much difference and put the demise of department stores down to the fact that people not wanting to visit them much now. The days of "are you being served" have long gone.

The retail sector has slowed down badly in recent months. The VAT hike was a needless factor, which could have easily been avoided. It's not a case of one item being a few pence higher or lower, but a cumulamative effect on disposable incomces; the price of almost everything has gone up and this means there is less people spending money.

My point is not that the VAT hike has meant these companies have gone bust per se, but it has contributed to a downturn in that sector. The worst effected are those that have not fully exploited the online market. It is no longer possible to survive in the retail sector alone. It is crucial that they have a strong online presence and strong sales.

The retail sector has slowed down badly in recent months. The VAT hike was a needless factor, which could have easily been avoided. It's not a case of one item being a few pence higher or lower, but a cumulamative effect on disposable incomces; the price of almost everything has gone up and this means there is less people spending money.

My point is not that the VAT hike has meant these companies have gone bust per se, but it has contributed to a downturn in that sector. The worst effected are those that have not fully exploited the online market. It is no longer possible to survive in the retail sector alone. It is crucial that they have a strong online presence and strong sales.

So would have you gone down the road of further spending cuts, rather than the tax rises?

It's very easy to blame this on the recession, but it's been going south for quite a while. It's luggage department was second to none, these days it's almost none existent, the same can be said for it's kitchen wear section, and the TV audio department is a joke.

In times like these only the strong survive, John Lewis and M&S know their customer base will stay firm, as long as they keep filling the shelves.

House of Fraser left as there wasn’t a market for their products in Sheffield, if T J Huges cant make a go of it what’s next ………. A gaint poundland.

Can you remember the guy in the white tux playing the baby grand as you walked in?
I can't crookesey but I do remember all the pretty girls on the perfume counters :D

I recall the days when you had hair and mine was a different colour,

The plot was a peasant village and Sheffield was still called Escafeld when those those two things coincided :hihi:

Crap news for the guys who will lose their jobs, they have my sympathy.

Hear, hear :(

House of Fraser left as there wasn’t a market for their products in Sheffield, if T J Huges cant make a go of it what’s next ……. A gaint poundland.

House of Fraser re-located to Meadowhall. Also TJ Hughes aren't that cheap, Richer Sounds are far better stocked and priced on TV audio, and you can get your car right outside it, and they pay for your parking. Basically Malky it's a crap store, selling crap stuff, in a crap city centre.

House of Fraser left as there wasn’t a market for their products in Sheffield, if T J Huges cant make a go of it what’s next ………. A gaint poundland.

Quite possibly yes. Maybe something along the lines of B&M that have turned one of our great town center buildings into a warehouse with tills.

I can't crookesey but I do remember all the pretty girls on the perfume counters :D

The plot was a peasant village and Sheffield was still called Escafeld when those those two things coincided :hihi:

Hear, hear :(

You made me remember something, the lovely Sue Fidler on the handbag counter, who was killed near the Three Merry Lads when her boyfriend, David Ford's car hit a lorry or tractor tyre laying in the road at night.

A really nice lass, very sad. :(

No, thats just a right wing myth that EVEN the Tories don't believe.

It was the Global Credit Crisis which got us into the mess.

You really believe that there was a global credit crisis? Hehe.

It's a big shop, somebody will be along in a year or two.

Major stores are going out of business everyday, when will this greed obssesed government realise that cuts do not bring you out of recession but actually spending money does.
Errrr!.........sorry but it's greed obsessed punters that need to stop buying Chinese crap that mostly they don't need ,with mostly money they don't have!.......nothing to do with the present government,mostly to do with the previous one that encouraged consumerism on a grand scale!

I think it used to be House of Fraser until around 12 years ago.

Before that it was Walsh's

Another thing is that there's only TJ Hughes in probably the whole of that part of Town where there's a free toilet! (Free for cafe customers, get the door code with a purchase), where else can you go when you need a wee without being obliged to buy something?