Who Was The First Pop Star You Saw Live?

When I was a kid, Desmond Decker came in to the ABC minors club on Snig Hill

The Beatles at the city hall when they were the suporting act for helen shapiro
SAW A FEW AT HILLSBRO PARK DAFT AS IT SOUNDS ... BEST EVER WAS BEAUTIFUL SOUTH WITH LIGHTENING SEEDS SUPPORTING .. NO THEY WERE NOT AT HILLSBRO PARK BEFORE YOU START :loopy:

rod stewart at the esquire club he was warm up man for the great jimmy powell, he was the man to play harmonica on my boy lolipop jp that is, and he came to sheffield to see me last month

By pop star, can we say someone who sold records and got them into the top 10.

Ok, Max Bygraves Blackpool 1950`s, Tommy Steele Blackpool, think it was 1956 and Lonnie Donegan, yeah you`ve guessed it Blackpool 1957.

Oh, and I first saw the great Dave Berry and The Cruisers perform before they had started charging an entrance fee, that would be around 1957 or 58.

But the very first i saw was Donald Duck

Alvin Stardust....1972....or thereabouts...Top Rank, Sheffield!

Dave Clark 5 , the kinks and the hollies all on the same bill at the city hall in 1960 .

Don't think these three were on stage in 1960. Maybe 1963.

First pop star I saw was Guy Mitchell at the City Hall in the early 1950's. Also met Lonnie Donnegan,(about 1954) when he was the banjo player in Chris Barbers band, He introduced himself as Tony Donnegan.(Before Rock Island Line was even recorded). Later saw many great jazz musos, including Louis Armstrong, Jack Teagarden, George Lewis and of course Humph. Littleton.

The Who - still my favourites after all these years. I was 15 or 16 when I saw them, then I saw Jimi Hendrix and the Move when I was 16 and Mothers of Invention when I was 17 - what days, what music:D:love::love:

In the late 70`s, early 80`s i saw quite a few bands at the city hall. I can`t remember which was my first but the one that stands out is Black Sabbath with Van Halen as support. Excellent gig:clap:

:rolleyes: Van halen were relatively unknown as special guests,(They were excellent)Black sabbath packed up after about 2 or 3 songs (blaming technical problems).Tickets were a rip off about £3.80 (ufo were a couple of quid week before).Everyone was promised they would be back and the tickets valid,never been back since :mad:

Great times tho' :D

John Robert "JOE" Cocker and Dave Berry (real name Holgate Grundy).At the Black Swan (Mucky Duck) Snig Hill in the early 60's at the talent competitions before fame took them away. What great nights they were .I was a barman then. It was about 1962 or as soon as the Religious Idiots on the council deemed we were allowed live music in pubs I believe in preparation for the world cup in 1966 and the foreign income that would line their pockets