The dropped kerb/vehicular access thread- all queries in here please

I have just recieved planning for dropped kerb and need a good price. Contrary to this thread It does noT have to be an approved contractor. Thanks

My mum has a dropped kerb in front of her house(we used to have a drive) when dad moved out years ago she fenced the front garden. Now everyone(and rightly so) can park infront of her house.

They are not blocking any access, because theres nothing to block!

:hihi:What a woman with common sence :hihi: The person asking the question could do with some maybe you could give him a few tips:hihi:

I have just recieved planning for dropped kerb and need a good price. Contrary to this thread It does noT have to be an approved contractor. Thanks

You can use any contractor but if they are not already on the councils 'approved' list then they will have to get approved before the work is carried out.

From "Notes for guidance in relation to application for consent to construct a vehicular crossing/access over public highway"

5. All vehicular crossings/accesses should be constructed in accordance with the Highway Authority’s specification. The Department does not carry out construction of any crossing/access. A list of registered contractors can be viewed at http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/parking/vehicular-crossings and a copy sent if approval is given

6. However should you wish to use any other contractor then the Authority must approve them in advance of the works being carried out. The Contractor must hold £2,000,000 Public Liability Insurance and be accredited to work on the highway (written proof is required for our approval prior to the start of construction).

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnvqsos View Post

It has to be done by the council who charge a big fee for relatively little work.The sheff.gov.com website may hold details

Oh dear, why dont you stick to what you know (whatever that is).

And that would be exactly nothing.:headbang::headbang:

"We have enclosed a list of contractors who can carry out this type of work but this does not imply any recommendation by us. Please inform us of the contractor you will be using 10 days before you start work, and give a copy of their public liability certificate"

I have double checked with the council and they no longer have 'recommended contractors'. They need a certain amount of public liability and have to do the work to the councils specifications, given to me with the planning permission, but any contractor can give me a price and complete the job subject to the above.

The link below no longer exists.

Edited by vix2000

Hi, I am currently starting work on a single driveway at our house. I have had approval from the council to drop the kerb so I am currently getting quotes for a kerb dropped.

I am just interested to hear out there what prices people have paid to qualified contractors / builders for the dropping of a kerb and how long it took.

You dont have to name the builders if you dont like and also if you want it to stay anonymous please PM me.

Hope this thread doesnt get hijacked and turned into arguments as other drop kerbbed threads have!

:)

Many thanks

Shep

well when you have all said and done it does make sense to have a drop curb and a drive money permititing you get cheaper insurence for one. On my street one parks in front of your drive l am not up to date with all the new regs and laws but if the curb is such a low mil you dont need one and you can you wrag your hedge out if you want we are all getting muli car households stop complaining if some one want to get theirs off the road at least it one less to be made into a joy ride

Edited by magjam15

well when you have all said and done it does make sense to have a drop curb and a drive money permititing you get cheaper insurence for one. On my street one parks in front of your drive l am not up to date with all the new regs and laws but if the curb is such a low mil you dont need one and you can you wrag your hedge out if you want we are all getting muli car households stop complaining if some one want to get theirs off the road at least it one less to be made into a joy ride

That's what I did and got away with it for a couple of years. Then the council must have been round checking as I had a letter warning me of a fine if I continued to cross the footpath without permission.

Being on a cul-de-sac I didn't think it would ever be a problem but I was wrong.

That's what I did and got away with it for a couple of years. Then the council must have been round checking as I had a letter warning me of a fine if I continued to cross the footpath without permission.

Being on a cul-de-sac I didn't think it would ever be a problem but I was wrong.

There are a few on our road that haven't dropped their kerb but use it as a drive way. IMO if you want a drive pay for it. Plus if you are using an illegal crossing you can also be blocked in and nothing can be done.

Plus if you are using an illegal crossing you can also be blocked in and nothing can be done.

I'm not sure. Unlawfulness of the pavement crossing (in the view of a Local Authority) has no impact on a householder's right not to have access impeded by another person's car.

There are a few on our road that haven't dropped their kerb but use it as a drive way. IMO if you want a drive pay for it. Plus if you are using an illegal crossing you can also be blocked in and nothing can be done.

Yeah, that's what I did :)