The dropped kerb/vehicular access thread- all queries in here please

In a few months I will be looking to turn my front lawn into off road parking.

I know I have to pay £70 to our council as a starting point, but does anyone have any recommendations as to reliable companies to carry out the work.

I wont be looking for anything "fancy", as I have a budget and loads of other jobs need doing inside and out

The council will have a list of companies who do this for them.

You need to get someone council approved to install the dropped kerb, but any other company can lay the driveway.

Hi there

Just received permission to contruct a hard standing and dropped kerb from Sheff CC.

Anyone out there want to recommend someone reliable and not too expensive to quote me for this please let me know.

Any idea what the price is for a dropped kerb these days?

Thanks

Sarah

hi,

when I had mine done a few years ago it cost me £700

It'd be interesting to know if this can be done as part of the streets ahead scheme.

Since they're digging up the road and pavement as well, whats the issue with dropping in a dropped kerb while they're at it???

I'm pretty sure the answer is a no anyway :(

Hello, does anyone have any recommendations for an approved contractor in Sheffield for dropped kerb, they must be a member on the approved list..

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/transport/dropped-kerbs/Vehicle-Crossing-Contractor-List--January-2014-/Vehicle%20Crossing%20Contractor%20List%20%28January%202014%29.doc

Thanks (a side note, why was my reply to an older thread removed and that thread closed, it was asking the exactly same question and saved a duplicate thread).

Hi,

Does anyone know anyone who would install a dropped kurb at my house on City Road? I have had a driveway for the past 20 years.

Hello, does anyone have any recommendations for an approved contractor in Sheffield for dropped kerb, they must be a member on the approved list..

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/transport/dropped-kerbs/Vehicle-Crossing-Contractor-List--January-2014-/Vehicle%20Crossing%20Contractor%20List%20%28January%202014%29.doc

Thanks (a side note, why was my reply to an older thread removed and that thread closed, it was asking the exactly same question and saved a duplicate thread).

Unless something has changed very recently, they don't have to be from that list.

---------- Post added 09-10-2015 at 12:36 ----------

It'd be interesting to know if this can be done as part of the streets ahead scheme.

Since they're digging up the road and pavement as well, whats the issue with dropping in a dropped kerb while they're at it???

I'm pretty sure the answer is a no anyway :(

Yes, it can be done this way. You still have to pay toward it though.

Unless something has changed very recently, they don't have to be from that list.

---------- Post added 09-10-2015 at 12:36 ----------

Yes, it can be done this way. You still have to pay toward it though.

Indeed. It's how my parents had theirs done a few years ago. My Dad went and had a word with foreman as they were starting work on pavements.

Foreman told him to order the stones required for the dropped kerb and they'd sort it.

£45 later it was done & signed off.

Hi all,

I've recently asked the council for permission for a dropped kerb. Trouble is, I have a British Gas sign on my front wall so the council advised I would need to contact British Gas to discuss moving this before permission is granted.

I have contacted British Gas who advised I need to speak with the National Grid. I therefore contacted the National Grid who advised I would need to speak with British Gas..............brilliant!

I assume the sign is some sort of marker with instructions on where the gas pipes are located. It seems to be a pretty old sign, most likely dating back to when my house was built in 1953!

I can't work out how to attach a picture here but the details on the sign are:

British Gas East Midlands

63 MM SV

215 LP

8.9M

Has anybody else had to deal with something like this, and if so do you have any ideas on what to do?

I'm pretty much out of ideas!!

Thanks