The dropped kerb/vehicular access thread- all queries in here please

> deleted by user <

Edited by BoyEngland

But my neighbour has had one put in with out and hardstaning(she just ripped the hedge out). So I was thinking I could do similar in the short run untill I have saved enough to have the drive professionally done??
I bet your street looks lovely :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope the council put a stop to this kind of streetscape vandalism, and only drop the kerb after the boundary has been dealt with satisfactorily and a suitable (visually appealing) hardstanding put in place

It's illegal to park at a dropped kerb. My relative had this done because she's disabled and needed to be able to get out of the car safely. Otherwise I don't think it's fair to presume you should be able to own a bit of the street.

I can't believe how many people seem to jump on a thread just to attack the person who started it. It's like they just want to argue on here sometimes. I personally would prefer to have my own car outside my own house and I don't see anything wrong with that. I believe most people would. As for the ridiculous cost we have to pay the council to gain access over land that we all already contribute towards, to the land that we own, it's a joke.

Having a dropped kerb doesn't guarantee they won't park across your access. I'm disabled and have an adapted vehicle. We frequently have to park a long way down the road. We did speak to the council about marking it as a disabled space but the council said they weren't doing that any more.

Thanks for the replys, as for having it dropped, I fullyintend on building a drive but dont have the cash to do both at the moment. And the reason for wanting to park outside my house is quite obvious. The main question I was asking was would I have to have a drive already built and if so is there a certain specification it has to be??

Cheers

________

Honda RA099 specifications

Edited by Bonjon

I bet your street looks lovely :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope the council put a stop to this kind of streetscape vandalism, and only drop the kerb after the boundary has been dealt with satisfactorily and a suitable (visually appealing) hardstanding put in place

Well said. This obsession with parking off the road is beyond me. People rip out lovely old stone walls and their little piece of garden just to park a car on. Yes, I'd like to have a drive, but I'm not ruining the front of our house just to save me a walk with some shopping....or the baby... Don't get me started on other architectural vandalism like PVC windows on victorian houses !

Edited by Tomataheeed
sausage fingers

Having a dropped kerb doesn't guarantee they won't park across your access. I'm disabled and have an adapted vehicle. We frequently have to park a long way down the road. We did speak to the council about marking it as a disabled space but the council said they weren't doing that any more.

That's a shame, the chap next door to where I used to live in Sharrow had a disabled space painted on the road and everyone respected it.

Did they give reason why?

As for dropped kerbs, you will need to call the council planning department, find out if they can point you in the direction of forms specific to a drop kerb planning application form.

If you are to carry out the works yourself the contractor you appoint has to be NRSWA (New Roads and Street Works Act) accredited to be legally allowed to carry it through.

what's wrong with somebody parking outside your house?

where do you park when you go out and about?

because its bloody annoying!!!! We had the same thing. We applied to local council and they said if your roads classed as a "B" road i think it was you didn;t need permission off them but you might need to go highways to check with them. We got a private builder to do ours so didn;t cost as much from council

That's a shame, the chap next door to where I used to live in Sharrow had a disabled space painted on the road and everyone respected it.

Did they give reason why?

As for dropped kerbs, you will need to call the council planning department, find out if they can point you in the direction of forms specific to a drop kerb planning application form.

If you are to carry out the works yourself the contractor you appoint has to be NRSWA (New Roads and Street Works Act) accredited to be legally allowed to carry it through.

Cheers for the info.

________

Yamaha Raptor 660 history

Edited by Bonjon

Why should dropping the kerb stop people parking outside of your house, they won't be blocking any access to anything.

yes they can park over dropped kerbs but then you have to ask them to move and if they say no then you can get them removed by a tow truck!!! I know because we have the same problem for years with moaron who lives next door, well he longer parks there now as we have had kerbs dropped!!

Thanks, although it does not state if the drive has to be built or not? As I hear you had to have hard standing i.e concrete, tarmac, block paving. But my neighbour has had one put in with out and hardstaning(she just ripped the hedge out). So I was thinking I could do similar in the short run untill I have saved enough to have the drive professionally done??

we haven;t built a drive, we have had the kerbs dropped and park in front of house now, council came and passed it after they had been dropped