What approach do you fish?

What approach do you use?

Carp

Match

Also want your opinions on the best too approach which style of fishing

I used to do all of them apart from sea fishing. For me there was never any 'best style'. I just did whatever took my fancy at the time.

One thing i did notice was the cost of match fishing though. It doesn't end once you have bought all your tackle. You are left paying 20-30 quid every weekend for the multitude of baits you might need.

Nothing like playing a double figure carp on a 20 elasticated pole..

Personally, would rather take a good net of roach out of the Trent on caster/hemp 2/3 rod lengths out, then onto the waggler for some slabs, those were the days.

Personally, would rather take a good net of roach out of the Trent on caster/hemp 2/3 rod lengths out, then onto the waggler for some slabs, those were the days.

Any recommendations of places to fish on Trent, Alan. I want to give it a try for Barbel. I like swims with a lot of features... Usually fish the Swale at Topcliffe and places like that. The sheer size of the Trent puts me off..

How times have changed, with the demise of the power stations and the lack of warm water, fishing the Trent has got harder but i still stand by my tried and trusted hemp/ caster, the art is knowing how to feed them , the casters go 3/4 meters behind the hemp . That way they both hit the bottom at the same point, downstream. Its then when you have to use your skill and bring them upstream and eventually you end up catching right in front of you, Try it and GOOD LUCK

i tend to fish most matches the same way, as i mainly go to carp puddles.

i will pot in about 5 cubes of meat in the margins and piece of meat on the hook and try for an early carp out of them, possibly 2 if im lucky, then i will pot in a full pot of hemp/pellet and meat at the shelf pointand fish that hard and re-pot after every fish.

while im fishing the shelf i will hand feed the margins with meat and pellets and watch for movement and keep having 10 -15 mins there during the day, but for the last 2 hours or so i will fish only the margins.

thats my general appraoch to fishing

best thing i find with my match fishing is to go open minded, dont set ure head on fishing a certain way until you have seen the venue you are fishing unless its a venue you fished alot.