Sign in to follow this  

Telephone Preference Service ... a Waste of Time !?

Does anyone know anything about the Telephone Preference Service?

I've been registered for some time with them, and just recieved an unsolicited sales call.

Apparently .......

Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

So it it's unlawful, can I make any kind of a claim against the company calling me? Or is it all just a total waste of time?

i think it's best to let them know not to call again.

if they do, THEN go for the £500!

:)

Originally posted by Jamie

I've been registered for some time with them, and just recieved an unsolicited sales call.

Apparently .......

So it it's unlawful, can I make any kind of a claim against the company calling me? Or is it all just a total waste of time?

Have you waited 30 days (dont know what some time means)? You have to wait 30 days from when you sign up before it becomes illegal to call you.

Originally posted by nightrider

Have you waited 30 days (dont know what some time means)? You have to wait 30 days from when you sign up before it becomes illegal to call you.

The problem however lies with if the company calling you is calling from abroad, they have different laws and TPS may not have any affect on them.

Ive been registered for some time and never get sales calls. But when I moved in here I went ex directory and that seemed to stop them, but I registered with the preference service anyhow.

a lot of companys have computers just randomly dial numbers... they do it to my mums house all the time and we've been ex-directory and stuff for years...

they just appologuise and say sorry the computer just generates numbers to call... which i think is a bit rude, just ring up every number the computer spits out... how rude, not sure if thats still illegal as they're not actually spefically targetting you

Originally posted by Jamie

Apparently .......

BT Preference is now BT Privacy, with which you can get free caller ID, although you have to re-register for BT Privacy because it isn't automatic.

I had BT Preference for a few years, and recently changed to BT Privacy so that my caller ID service became free, but I still receive the odd marketing call, because of the computer generated dialing system a lot of these companies use.

Originally posted by pete_fcs

i think it's best to let them know not to call again.

if they do, THEN go for the £500!

:)

£500 SOUNDS GREAT! HOW DO I GET IT?

Originally posted by nightrider

Yeah, been registered for at least 6 months.

Originally posted by Ann_x

BT Preference is now BT Privacy, with which you can get free caller ID, although you have to re-register for BT Privacy because it isn't automatic.

I had BT Preference for a few years, and recently changed to BT Privacy so that my caller ID service became free, but I still receive the odd marketing call, because of the computer generated dialing system a lot of these companies use.

TPS is nothing to do with BT as far as I'm aware Ann.

Originally posted by spyro2000

The problem however lies with if the company calling you is calling from abroad, they have different laws and TPS may not have any affect on them.

I told the caller I was registered, and asked him for his details, name, company name etc.

It's the Listening Company .

I've already submitted a complaint to the TPS.

These calls just p**s me off. If I need to buy something, I will call them.