Does anyone suffer with sinusitis?

I know this may sound a little crazy but someone told me to put a warm hot water bottle across the back of my neck when I had it quite bad once and it did help as well . Maybe it helps relax the muscles and that helps with the pressure or something. My son does the same when he has migraines and he swears it helps.

I know this may sound a little crazy but someone told me to put a warm hot water bottle across the back of my neck when I had it quite bad once and it did help as well . Maybe it helps relax the muscles and that helps with the pressure or something. My son does the same when he has migraines and he swears it helps.

I could see how that would work, I use those wheat lavender bags when I get a headache and go to bed, laying on one of those soothes it so much.

have you thought about trying acupuncture? I had a lady who came in every week as she had it very bad all year round. Altogether she had around 8 sessions and it cleared up. It is very good for all kind of nasal congestion and headaches etc. Worth thinking about.

I do, it's agony when it strikes. At its worst it's completely debilitating.

On having my head x-rayed for an injury it was revealed that I have huge sinus cavities and the doctor asked if I suffer with them. I do on occasion, but when I do it's awful.

I've found that not a lot really helps, steam, borax crystals, vicks, none of it really helps much.

With full-blown sinusitis you can't even move your head, all you can do is sit and not move! Thankfully the pain is worse than the condition's long-term effects. You may have to get some antibiotics if it gets worse.

I hate it.

*kicks sinusitis*

EDIT: Sudafed does give SOME relief

I use Sudafed without the painkiller and then take my usual painkillers as normal - its the only way I can deal with it. My doctor also prescribes me a nasal spay, which also helps a bit

Have you tried taking some anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen? Might give some relief for a while.

I take ibuprofen every day , also doctor has given me two lots of antibiotics which aint doing a thing :( and also nasel sprays

Got to wait at least a week b4 he will do anythin else :roll:

Just thought id update :

Ive been to the hospital , and have been told i have cronic sinisutis and nasal polyps.

Has anyone who commented on this post got nasal polyps? what happened , did you have the removed?

I have been put on medication to try and shrink them , and got to go back in 4 months x

Just thought id update :

Ive been to the hospital , and have been told i have cronic sinisutis and nasal polyps.

Has anyone who commented on this post got nasal polyps? what happened , did you have the removed?

I have been put on medication to try and shrink them , and got to go back in 4 months x

Though I have never had nasal polyps, I too have chronic rhinosinusitis which came on quite suddenly just over two years ago.

I visited the hospital many times and I got the impression that they really didn't know what was causing it and tried many different treatments including nasal drops, sprays, antibiotics etc.. but nothing seemed to work. I should be an executive director of Kleenex by now with the amount of tissues I was buying!

I visited an alternative therapist who recommended I use a neti pot to help clean out my nose (which can be bought very cheaply from Amazon and other places) and this did help to relieve the symptoms a little. This may be worth a try.

I tried a course of acupuncture for a while, but gave up when it became clear that it wasn't working (it just doesn't for some people whatever condition it is being used to treat).

Eventually on my umpteenth visit to the ENT clinic they tried me out with a new nasal spray called Avamys and finally it started to settle down, and not too soon.

The main problem I was getting, aside from having to blow my nose at least 20 times a day, was constant pressure all around my face. Sometimes it would be mild enough for me to just about ignore it, and others it would be so intense that no painkillers would get rid of it. It was driving me insane and preventing me from being able to think clearly. It was affecting my social life as well as my relationship because I just couldn't engage with people - it was a horrible two years.

It hasn't actually gone away, because I still get occasional blocked noses and the inside of my nose often bleeds like a wound that hasn't really healed, but at least I no longer have to take painkillers on a daily basis and the pressure in my face has pretty much gone away.

Good luck MissGiggles. I hope the medication works, I really do - I would never wish it upon anyone to go through what I have been through with it.

I visited an alternative therapist who recommended I use a neti pot to help clean out my nose (which can be bought very cheaply from Amazon and other places) and this did help to relieve the symptoms a little. This may be worth a try.

I have just read on the internet about the neti pot , is it easy to do? x

Edited by MissGiggles

I have just read on the internet about the neti pot , is it easy to do? x

Yeah it's really easy and very effective. It feels very strange at first but you soon get used to the sensation. If you do buy one, I recommend you don't bother buying the special solution stuff they sell you, just get some sea salt from the supermarket instead - it's a lot cheaper and just as effective. Be careful how much you put in with the water though - just a little too much and it can be a very unpleasant experience pouring it through your nostrils!

Since becoming diabetic I have developed awful sinus problems: my nose bleeds, vile headaches, soreness inside nose, etc. The last couple of years but particulalry this one, my hayfever(which again only developed in the last few years) is also very severe, bordering on asthma. Apparently with the very hot early spring, it has been a peferct storm' in terms of pollen and it is now at industrial strength!

More widely I suspect we are going to see rises in these conditions, particulalry amongst the young: pollution, global warming, globalisation, etc. An example, in Sheffield we have well above EU safety levels of diesel fuel emmissions, which are slowly destroying some peoples health. Sadly, the Doctors don't seem to know what to do and just fob you off with paracetomeol and refuse to send you to consultants on grounds of cost.

btw, Ms G, I use Sterimar Isotonic Nasal Spray instead of a Neti-Pot which I found was too fiddly, the former you just spray up your nose for relief.

Edited by gamezone07

Just thought id update :

My ex has nasal polyps, and has done since he was a teenager. He had surgery twice, about five years apart, and they came back each time. He uses nasal sprays and takes medication most of the time, I think.

It's a pain because he has no sense of smell because of it, which I think is really sad, but he's very much not a whinger, so I couldn't tell you how much impact it had day to day.

So, just to say that surgery may not remove them for good, which might be a factor in your decision whether or not to have it should it be offered.

My ex has nasal polyps, and has done since he was a teenager. He had surgery twice, about five years apart, and they came back each time. He uses nasal sprays and takes medication most of the time, I think.

It's a pain because he has no sense of smell because of it, which I think is really sad, but he's very much not a whinger, so I couldn't tell you how much impact it had day to day.

So, just to say that surgery may not remove them for good, which might be a factor in your decision whether or not to have it should it be offered.

When i went to the hospital , they given me anti b's and also mentioned surgury , which ive read not so good reviews about it. Did your ex see any improvement between after the surgury with it being 5 years apart until his next surgury x