Pleasant Walks Part 1.

Anyone want to read my story about having a shave?It's at least as interesting as the above!

what were you shaving exactly?::suspect:

Pleasant Walks Part 3.

This particular walk happened Wednesday May 23.2018. I overdid the drinking this time, but was still standing when I arrived home lol. Anyway, the pubs I visited on that day were in the area of Sheffield 12. These were:

Hollin Bush - Hollinsend Road/Alnwick Road, ex Stones

Noah's Ark - Mansfield Road, ex John Smiths

Fairway - Birley Lane, ex Mansfields

Red Lion - Gleadless Townend, ex Tetley

Carlton Club - Gleadless Road

New Inn - Hollinsend road/Gleadless Common, ex Tetley

Conservative Club - Hollinsend Road.

I had done this pub walk the previous month, on a chilly day. I was with Matt, a business friend of mine. On that day though, we did 3 other pubs added to the ones above:

Punchbowl - Hurlfield Road, ex Stones

Sherwood - Birley Moor Road, ex Whitbread (ex Spa Club)

The Birley - Birley Moor Road, ex Stones.

Anyrooad up, on the day of my solo walk I purchased a £4:80 ticket. The ticket gave me access to the tram and to all buses.

Hollin Bush: Although I could have caught the Nr.8 bus from town to be practically dropped at the door of this pub, I decided to catch the tram. I alit at Hollinsend Park, then walked the few yards to Hollinsend Road where the War Memorial stands (a statue of a single soldier). Christ Church Gleadless stands in the background. The statue has many names of local soldiers on it who perished during the Great War.

A six minute walk down Hollinsend Road brought me to the Hollin Bush, a white building, that had been a Stones pub in the past. I arrived at the pub at 13:11. Compared to the previous month, this pub seemed to have had a serious spring-clean. I had the impression the tenants were new. In the lounge (square room), I requested a pint of Stones at £2:50. This was a lovely pint, which told me the 'lines' were clean(ed). After a chat with a customer who I'd remembered from 4 or 5 years ago in the nearby Centre Spot (Stones), on Basegreen, I took a glance into the tap-room (oblong room) which has a pool table. Both rooms were clean as were the toilets. The Hollin Bush opens daily at midday.

Other drinks available in the Hollin Bush are:

John Smiths

Fosters

Carling

Guinness

Stella

Strongbow extra cold & dark fruit.

The two handpumps didn't have badges on them. I presumed they awaiting delivery of 'Real' ale. Resisting the temptation to have another Stooonses, I departed at 13:32.

Notes. The new people at the Hollin Bush had previously had the Black Bull, at Ecclesfield. They had done a straight swap with the previous people at the Hollin Bush.

I have now found out that these latest people at the Hollin Bush have now left. To add to the confusion, the previous person who had left the Hollin Bush, is now back there. Its like a bleedin' Carry-on film. Perhaps there have been other changes recently, I'll have to take a look. The Hollin Bush was a very busy pub in the 70s, I remember it well.

I mentioned the Centre Spot. Its been closed since November 2017. Maybe its been opened again since me being told its closed, and my typing this up.

Strolling down Hollinsend Road I came to a side road on the left...Stanhope Road. I halted for a cuppla seconds, and looked to the terraced houses at the corner where the road then goes right (Stanhope Road is L-shaped). My index-card memory reminded me that there had once been a Chip Shop in years gone by, in the corner.

I think Sheffield's most famous ligger, Jarvis Cocker, had lived on Stanhope Road sometime in his childhood.

Having now reached the traffic lights at the bottom of Hollinsend Road, I crossed the main road to reach the big white house at 13:42...

Noah's Ark.

The pub has a large car-park and outdoor tables, plus a large grassy play area for children. Once inside, I noticed the order and the cleanliness of this former John Smiths pub, now Enterprise. The young man serving, served me a pint of Magnet at £2:90. Other drinks:

London Pride - Hand drawn (hand pulled, as most people say)

Snecklifter - Hand drawn

Carling

Coors

Strongbow

Stones

Guinness

Fosters

John Smiths.

During my time in the Ark, I had a brief chat with the manageress/landlady. She told me that she'd been running the pub for 10 years, and that Magnet beer was brewed in the Wakefield area. I told her I was impressed with the pub, inside and outside, she liked that...I liked her, steady lad. Lol. Just to say, the young man behind the bar was very busy polishing the pumps to keep them shining, and other duties. I broke one of my rules (1 pint in each pub), I supped 4 pints of Magnet during my visit. Toilets in tip-top condition. I'll be visiting this pub again, with my mate Matt. Noah's Ark I highly recommend. I left at 15:28.

I strolled down the road to the bus stop opposite the former Intake terminus tram stop of yesteryear. This is where the Yorkshire/Derbyshire border was once upon a time.

I caught a bus to go up the big hill and alit 4? stops later, just afore Occupation Lane. Having walked along Birley Moor Road (3 minutes), I reached Birley Moor Avenue. At this point I had arrived at the Birley estate. I crossed the road to be on the former Newstead estate where I'd lived 1965-68. The estate is now a large grassy wasteland with some trees. Some of the old roads and pathways are still there in the grassy grassland. The only 'new' buildings (houses) to be found are on the lower part of the old estate, which is where I had lived, Newstead Rise. Anyway, I walked diagonally (corner to corner) over the wasteland, then crossed over the Halfway/Sheffield tram-track to enter...

The Fairway pub.

This pub is at Birley Golf Course (one of my former childhood play areas now ruined by the golf course with its pesticides, and also its draining of water from local streams and ponds). Birley woods is still intact though despite people going in there and shooting at birds with their air guns and air rifles. The wildlife here is a lot less now compared to years ago.

On entering the Fairway pub (time not recorded) I noticed the nice carpeting, but I also noticed the very dull lighting. I was in need of a tiddle, the best place for that is the bogs lol. The toilets were in excellent condition. In my view, good bogs means good kitchen. I'd come here for the carvery.

At the bar I requested a pint of Marston Smooth, and a carvery, I needed something to soak up the booze. lol. The carvery costed £5:49, up 50p from my most recent visit. I've forgotten the price of the drink.

I plonked my drink on a table, then went to the carvery section. I noticed on the board in the background that the old price for the carvery (4:99) had been wiped clear, but the new price hadn't been written on the board. Huh.

My carvery, served by a friendly Polish lass was...

A choice of turkey, gammon or beef. I had turkey. 3 generous slices.

peas

carrots

sweetcorn

green beans

roasted spuds

mash

Yorkshire Puds

stuffing

creamy cauliflower

gravy.

I didn't have red cabbage,it was tasteless last time I went in. A pity really, because I love red cabbage.

I enjoyed my meal, it was brilliant. The Marston pint I had was free-flow. It was tasteless and far too cold, a waste of money. I know that game, if the beer you sell tastes crap, make it as cold as possible, the customer won't notice the tastelessness. Ditto with lager during heatwaves nationwide.

Other drinks:

Hobgoblin - Hand drawn

Saddletank- Hand drawn

Carling

Birra Moretti

Strongbow dark fruits

San Miquel

Guinness

Fosters

Strongbow extra cold

Carling export.

I'll possibly return to this pub again, but only if I'm hungry, but I waint be having a drink.

The Fairway can be reached by bus and tram from Sheffield. Sixty yards walk from bus/tram stops.

I left the Fairway at 16:34 and caught the next city bound tram and alit at Gleadless Townend (2 stops). I lived here 1968-75, at Crossland Drive, in the Council maisonettes. These maisonettes had been built from the sweat and the taxes of the working man. The maisonettes are now gone (demolished), and replaced by private flats. It seems to me that the council sold off land belonging to the working people, who can't afford to buy their own homes, to a private business. Newstead ditto!

Red Lion.

This former Tetley pub seems to have gone the same way as other pubs...downhill. Having had a little walk around Gleadless Townend I entered the Red Lion at 17:06. The framed pictures on the walls should be on the walls of my home. They are photos, maps, and drawings of the history of this side of Sheffield, including Birley Pit East.

There were many people in the pub, waiting at the bar to be served. One person (not the manager) was serving, rushed off his feet. Whilst waiting to be served, I decided to jot down in my little notebook the drinks on offer:

Black Sheep -Hand drawn

Tetley -Hand drawn

Stella

Coors light

Carlsberg

Carling

Strongbow dark fruits

Guinness.

Its not always easy to jot down secretly in a pub. The above info was written down in the lav. lol. The toilets were in good condition, miles better than a few years ago. They had been filthy.

Although I am a patient person, 23 minutes of waiting to be served was(is)too much for me. On exiting the pub through the former snooker room (dying of thirst), I heard something amusing, but sad. A man and his pal had just been served. The man asked the barman for beermats to place their drinks on. The barman replied "I don't think we've got any left, but I'll go and have a look”….”Its a bleddy pub, man!”

Carlton Club.

17:42 is the time I arrived. There weren't many customers at the Carlton...8 drinkers outside,13 inside. I requested a pint of Stones at £2:60.

Other drinks:

Hardy & Hansons smooth

Carling

John Smiths

Olde Trip

Kaltenberg Lager

Strongbow

Fosters

Kingstone Press

Carlsberg export

Old Speckled Hen -free flow

Tetley.

After a few short conversations I left the club at 18:04. The bogs were clean and the Carlton opens weekdays at 14:30.

Outside, I crossed the road (Gleadless Road) to be then stood outside the former Heeley & Sheffield House pub (Stones). The building has now been converted into apartments, and is now called Hollinsend Corner. The side road next to these bourgeois apartments is the top of Hollinsend Road, now blocked off. Walking down this ultra pleasant road I was feeling reight good. Trees on the grass verges, many of which are wild cherry. The houses also have well tended gardens. This road and nearby Gleadless Bank seem to be a bit of a racetrack connecting Ridgeway Road and Gleadless Road, a drawback.

Moments later I arrived at a most wonderfully run pub at 18:11.

The New Inn.

The two roomed New Inn (ex Tetley) stands at the very bottom of Gleadless Common, at the corner with Hollinsend Road. This was a pub I often visited in the early 70s when a pint of Tetley costed 12p. All those years ago I spent most of my time suppin’ in Town, but every few weeks I'd have a change of scenery, and drink in this area of Sheffield. Old Harrow, Centre Spot, Hollin Bush, Cutlers Arms, New Inn, and sometimes the two Intake pubs, Royal Oak and Noah's Ark. I very rarely went in The Red Lion at the Townend, even though it was the nearest pub to where I lived, on Crossland Drive.

Anyway,I went in this old stone pub and requested a pint of John Smiths at £2:95..a bit expensive, but The New Inn is a lovely pub and is well worth visiting. The price of alcoholic drinks in the suburbs have alas,caught up with the town centres prices.

I found the serving staff to be polite and friendly, and there does seem to be a good social intercourse, rapport amongst the customers. The toilets at The New Inn are in top notch condition. The pub has a small but cute covered beer garden/yard at the rear of the pub. There is also a very pleasant drinking area (two big tables) at the pub front. There is also a very large area at the rear of the pub for children to play..slide, swings etc. The nr 51 bus stops about 30 yards from the pub. Its six minutes walk to the tram stop at Hollinsend Park.

IF YOU ARE A REAL ALE DRINKER, THEN THE NEW INN WILL BE UP YOUR STREET.

New Inn drinks when I was there:

Little Critters - hand drawn

Sentinel OG - hand drawn

Golden Bolt - hand drawn

Two Hoots - hand drawn

Cherry Stout - hand drawn

Pekko - hand drawn

Dr.Morton’s - hand drawn

6x - hand drawn

Worthingtons

Carling

Stella

Birra Moretti

Coors Light

John smiths

Strongbow extra cold

There was a real ale drink in one of those cardboard box cask type things at the one end of the bar..Lagunitas IPA(6.2%). The New Inn I fully recommend, and I believe it opens at 13:00 daily. I departed at 20:32.

I went back to this pub a few days later with Matt, my business partner. It was to watch the Fulham v Aston Vanilla play-off final. Matt is a Villa fan...they lost lol. The pub has 3 tv's.

Atween The New Inn (2 minutes away) and the nearby tram stop, and over the road from the 51 bus stop, is the local Conservative club. This used to be a school in the (g)olden days. (I promise not to go on a rant about the politics of greed, the politics of hate, nor the politics of coshing the poor over the head at every opportunity). I shouldn't really be putting money into the coffers of the narrow minded Con-servatives, but each of us do stupid things once in a while. Curiosity got the better of me...I went in for a swift 'un.

The Club is very clean and large. There are 2 pool tables, a large tv screen. There is a well stocked bar to the left on entering the club. I went up to the bar and requested a pint of Smiths at £2:40. Having taken a swig from my drink I was approached by a man trying to look official. He asked me if I was a member, I yessed his enquiry (I occasionally tell lies lol) also in an official way (I'm good at that when I want to be lol). He then said less officially.."Oh,that's alright then, I was only asking". He then slunk off back to the women who had put him up to challenging me lol. I then went for a smoke at the smoking area outside, and behind the club. The smoking area in the back yard is fenced in, and has a covered seating area that's not unlike a mini-bus shelter.

Smoke over, I'm now back at the bar. I generally always stand at the bar, I like the beer to reach mi feet. I turned my back to the bar, and the Scottish sounding barmaid, to look down the length of the long room to observe members playing a type of bingo with cards. A bloke was calling out some numbers. I had had a few beers that day, but I still was awake and aware, and I felt really good knowing I was perhaps the only Labour voter in the place.

It also occurred to me that this club would be a great venue as a jazz club. We'll have to wait until after the revolution lol.

Other drinks:

Stones

Tetley

Carling - apple cider

Guinness

Farmers Brown Cow - hand drawn

Worthingtons.

I left 22 minutes later, then caught the tram back to Sheffield.

All the above is my own personal view of the pubs, and the other comments too, of that day. I don't represent anybody but myself. If yer don't like my stuff then don't read it, but reading does kill ignorance.

My next offering on the pub front will be about my tour of Mos'boro...May 28/2018.

Pleasant walks 1.

Part 4.

Bank Holiday Monday 28/5/2018.

It hadn't been my intention to be going on a pub tour this day. After doing some housework, I then priced-up records for a forthcoming record fair (I deal in records). I also put a batch of vinyls on Discogs. Having finished these chores earlier than expected, I decided to go on another pub walk. . . to Mos'boro. The weather was very sunny that day.

I boarded a bus for town, paying £4:80 for a buses and tram all-dayer ticket. In Town I went to the Interchange to check for bus times going to, and back from Mos'boro. I find it quite strange that the people working at the Interchange take ages to find the info you need from their computers. I recall in the 60s and early 70s, you could ask a bus driver, conductor, or a inspector for details about bus times. In an instant they'd usually give you the information you needed. Do computers encourage people to think lazily? Just a thought.

I JUST managed to catch the Nr. 50 Stagecoach bus to Mos'boro, alighting at:

George and Dragon.

I stepped into the pub at 15:35, and was welcomed by a fair-haired lady, her name was (is) Christine. I had an instant recollection of her face, she used to run The Wheel (ex Stones), in Plumbley, a posh suburb in west Mos'boro lol. She also once ran The 'Prince' (Wards?), in Eckington. Its amazing what strangers tell to strangers. Christine told me she had been given assurances about The Wheel pub's future. Unfortunately, Christine had to go for a short time to hospital. When she came out of hospital, the assurances and promises had turned to dust. It had been decided The Wheel was to be closed down for good. Christine was obviously dismayed by all this. This is how I understood our conversation. Christine then went on to answer my questions about her life of running pubs. She also mentioned how she enjoyed holidays she'd had. I think she said she was going to Thailand this year.

I went into the other room in the pub to take a look at a framed photograph I'd seen on a previous visit this year. It was a photo of Davy's, the bakers, in Market Street, Eckington. The photo is from 1955. My first job on leaving school was at Davy's, on Fargate, in 1969.

Back in the other room, I continued my conversation with the radiant Christine. Our conversation was constantly interrupted (thats okay) by people coming in to buy drinks, and to take them out to the seated area next to the pub. Christine then went off duty, to sit and to wet her whistle with friends outside in the sun. I feel quite sure Christine's personality surely draws in customers. Good luck to her.

On duty came a young lady, who thankfully was prepared to converse with me. She was very polite, smiley and efficient. She told me she worked at the pub because she needed the money to help her buy a car. She had had driving lessons, but had not as yet done her test. One of her three brothers drove her to work, at the pub. She lives in Eckington? The young lady, she didn't tell her name to me, told me she is the goalkeeper for Dronfield Ladies football team, she's the youngest player in the team. She took in good spirit my teasing her about ladies playing football, in an attempt to enter a mans world lol. I (we) enjoyed our natter.

Due to the nice conversations I didn't note down how much I'd payed for my 3 pints of John Smiths. I think it was £3:20 per pint. The pub was clean and well kept, the bog too. Thank-you ladies.

Other drinks at George and Dragon.

Stones

Theakstons Best

Carling

Guinness

Hop House 13 lager

Timothy Taylor's Landlord - Hand drawn

Farmers Blonde - Hand drawn

Jennings. Cumberland Lakeland Ale - Hand drawn

Strongbow.

The Alma.

The beer garden at The Alma was heaving. Everybody enjoying a drink in the sun. At the bar I requested a pint of John Smiths. I didn't note the price, I must be slipping lol. The staff were polite, but far too busy for conversations. The pub is well kept and the toilets clean. The Alma sells homemade piccalilli and jams (?), £2:50 per jar.

I was quite tickled by a chat with a bloke customer. He had been a regler customer at The White Hart (Home Ales), in Eckington, in years gone by.

The Royal Oak. Ex Stones.

On arrival, I was somewhat dismayed about the car-park area at the front of the pub. There were four of those tables with bench type things with parasols that fit through a hole in the middle of the table. There were no parasols. This wouldn't entice would be customers on this piping hot day. There were also no ashtrays on the tables. The lack of ashtrays perhaps explains why the car-park was in need of a serious sweeping. . . cigarette-ends all over the place.

Inside, I asked for a John Smiths at £3:20?

At the bar I got in conversation with Andy, who told me he had been in the trade for 29 years. Running a pub and chef work are something he'd always enjoyed.

Adele, Andy's other half, arrived behind the bar. Andy had other things to see to, so I was left chatting with Adele. We conversed as long as it took me to down 4 pints of Smiths. All was revealed about Adele's life, from her childhood days in Dorset, her life and her extensive experience in the pub trade. Adele also spoke of her future ambitions. Perhaps i'd make a good 'agony' uncle lol. Adele was great fun to listen to, informative too. I hope to be listening to her again sometime. That car-park must be sorted though. Toilets clean. Pub tidy and clean too.

Just to say:

I met a man in The Royal Oak called Dave. Dave had served in the Marines for 17 (or 19) years. Dave is still in touch with some of his former colleagues on the Internet, but he desperately misses the life he'd had during his years of service. His story reminded me of my 17 years abroad.

I left The Royal Oak at 19:42.

The Queen (ex Wards).

I had a John Smiths at £3:30. I got chatting with a young lad and a young lass who were serving behind the bar. These two were an item. During the conversation they revealed everything about themselves, and their ambitions. They also mentioned The Queen had doormen on Fridays due to trouble caused by people who come to Mos'boro. I think they mentioned the troublemakers came late from The Fox pub near Beighton. I enjoyed our little chat. Pub was empty, toilets clean.

I caught the Nr 50 bus back to Town at about 20:15.

In Town I went in the Huntsman on Cambridge Street. I supped two pints of Huntsman Stout 'real' ale. I don't sup John Smiths beer in Wetherspoon pubs, its crap. The only time I've ever supped what resembles a proper pint of John Smiths in a Wetherspoon pub, was a few years back in The Rhino, in Rotherham.

Other areas I'm considering to do pub walks are:

Oughtibridge.

Hackenthorpe - Frecheville.

Wortley - Thurgoland - Deepcar.

Hillsborough.

If your interested in mixing walks with drinking zakes , check out SpiderPetes real ale website which has many suggested walks on it taking in some of the best local real ale hostelries in Sheffield ... enjoyed your tales on here ...

http://sheffieldalepubs.co.uk/

Also check out Patrick Dickinson on youtube:

Cheers!

Edited by GinTreeS7