Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Originally posted by twinky1

I always thought it was at the end of Colley Road, where the P.Office is.

Post code S5 includes Parson Cross - S35 includes Ecclesfield and I think anything past the post office (not behind it) is S35.

Unless anyone else knows different!!

the boundry between s5 and s35 are from colley road p/office to the high greave pub on barnsley road as i grew up on tunwell ave (parents still live there) and sis lives on st michaels road and her p/coad is s35 yet my mums is s5.

tunwell was one time classed as ecclelsfield but now it class as new parsoncross area

Originally posted by spinny

the boundry between s5 and s35 are from colley road p/office to the high greave pub on barnsley road as i grew up on tunwell ave (parents still live there) and sis lives on st michaels road and her p/coad is s35 yet my mums is s5.

tunwell was one time classed as ecclelsfield but now it class as new parson cross area

I would prefer to say ''Ecclesfield''

It has more snob value and less car insurance costs.

Originally posted by Unregistered

I would prefer to say ''Ecclesfield''

It has more snob value and less car insurance costs.

funny that one unregistered as my mum says the same.no mater how many people ask her were she lives when she goes to buy things or is on the phone she always still says eccelsfield.. never classed it has parsoncross

I'm not sure if Parson Cross has any precise boundaries that are drawn up on a map.

It's also very confusing finding out where exactly it meets Sheffield Lane Top, (if that is an area) Longley, Southey, Wadsley Bridge and all around the Forty Foot pub.

Hiya Sandy !.. I moved to Parson Cross ( Lindsay Avenue) in 1939 and lived there for 21 years. It was a fabulous area and during the war, as kids we went to Lindsay Road school. No yobbos at that time and I had quite a few mates living close by. We cycled a lot to various places and played a lot in Longley Park visiting the open air swimming pool on a regular basis during the summer.

In winter, when snow was on the ground, we sleged down Lindsay Avenue from top to bottom.

There no buses in our road at the time. We had iether to walk to Sheffield Lane top to catch the tram, or to Southey Green Road for a bus.

We used to play in a large field adjacent to Lindsay Avenue/Ingelow Avenue. It was great.

Parson Cross is much different nowadays

I lived on the cross for 40 yrs till last year when my property was demolished,that was on mansell road.

Before that I lived at my parents house on buchanan road near the shops at the school end,We did not have much monet in those days but we had a great community spirit which sadly is being lose now the estate is being demolished.

My local was the Parson Cross Hotel and colley club was good at weekends.

As for the Tavern yes its still going strong,and long may it continue.

I do miss my old estate but you have to accept change dont you?

Cross people = salt of the earth.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by royjames

I don't think that we knew anything else back then.

Hopefully today's parents will make their children realise that respect for a good education will help them escape the working class poverty trap.

Too many children still come home to bread and jam for tea and an exciting evening hanging around on the shops.

Originally posted by royjames

I'm quite sure that most people accept change if it is carefully thought through, and if there is a distinct end result which works to the advantage of those involved.

What worries me is that I'm not sure that those lovely guys at the Town Hall have a clue about planning. If they did they certainly wouldn't be putting a hotel that nobody wants (according to "The Star") between The Peace Gardens and The Winter Gardens or whatever it's called. After twenty years of the egg boxes it was nice to get a decent view, and now it's gone.

Has anyone seen a plan about The Cross and what it is going to end up like? I did notice an announcement that there are (yet more) plans to invest a small fortune in The Manor. I reckon it's time S5 got a bit of that.

You're spot on about salt of the earth though..

Where the houses have been demolished they have put about four inches of topsoil.

Now the plots are already begining to get overgrown with weeds and it looks like the wilderness.

Last Sunday a tractor was ploughing the weeds in.

What a mess.

Originally posted by hutch

We lived at 7 Hillside ave from 1946 to 1953 I remember sledging on a curved piece from a anderson shelter from the top of Tunwell knowle down to the jews cemetery what was then Blind lane [Colley road] The makeshift sledge held about 8 small kids The german and italian prisoners of war made us wooden toys etc for cigarettes, We mixed freely with them no problems after they were freed many stayed here One of them was Karl Suck a friend and neighbour, I remember a large deep lime pit unfenced something to do with plastering the new houses I think it would be considered dangerous now.

Oh well happy days despite no phone or car or tv and little money oh and sweets on ration.

I went to live on Colley Road in 1948/9, I believe it was No.118, it was the latest batch of new Council Houses, the pavements were still being laid, there was a spare patch of land next to our house which lead down to 'the fields' which the drain ran through (ah happy days - jumping the streams!) There was another patch of spare land across the road which was a short cut to the shops at the top of Wheata Road.

I remember the Synagogue at the bottom of Colley Road. We later went to live in Tunwell Avenue. I'd never heard of Tunwell Knowle before you mentioned it, now I know where the names Knowle Road and Tunwell Avenue came from. I don't remember any P.O.W. in the area though.

I have a very old 'Geographia' map of Sheffield which I would love to be able to date. Parson Cross is named on the map, but there is no sign of any houses in that area at all. Although The Manor Estate had been built there was no sign of building at Arbourthorne either, which is where I lived as a toddler, although we lived on City Road when I was born.

Originally posted by Unregistered

Where the houses have been demolished they have put about four inches of topsoil.

Now the plots are already begining to get overgrown with weeds and it looks like the wilderness.

Last Sunday a tractor was ploughing the weeds in.

What a mess.

They are bulldozing Parson Cross???? How much of it is going? I'm shocked!

Originally posted by Freda

They are bulldozing Parson Cross???? How much of it is going? I'm shocked!

900 houses . . .

. . . mainly 2 bed houses that people don't want.