Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Hard to imagine that Parson Cross was well known for its wild deer.

Part of it was once known as the Deer Lands.

Deer Lands Farm was near Mount Tabor.

Hence the Deerlands Avenue of today.

Wordsworth and Southey were famous poets - who were Colley and Margetson ?

Originally posted by Unregistered

Parson Cross will rise like the phoenix from the ashes and become the new Dore and Totley.

like the manor will become the new fulwood!! :P lol

Hi unregistered.

The names of the streets fascinate me.

Who decides what streets are to be called what name?

I lived on Rokeby Drive,I can only think it was named after Rokeby Hall in N Yorkshire.

Holgate was the bishop of York,also Middlsbourgh F.C. has an 'Holgate End' Which i prosume was the name of a street i.e. Leppings Lane End

Originally posted by sweetdexter

Hi unregistered.

The names of the streets fascinate me.

Who decides what streets are to be called what name?

I lived on Rokeby Drive,I can only think it was named after Rokeby Hall in N Yorkshire.

Holgate was the bishop of York,also Middlsbourgh F.C. has an 'Holgate End' Which i prosume was the name of a street i.e. Leppings Lane End

Hi Sweetdexter,

I assume that the Council planning department choose the street names.

I seem to remember being told that post-1947 Parson Cross streets were named after people, mainly poets.

So who were Wheeta, Remington, Turie, Milnrow, Dugdale, Monteney, Adlington, Buchannan, Brailsford, Butchill, Greaves, Reneville, Morral, Knutton, Fulmere, Lytton, Falstaff and Lindsay?

I used to think that Parson Cross had been there forever when it was the centre of my childhood universe! It's difficult for me to picture most of it as farm fields in 1947 and ALL of it as farm fields in 1937 - but the current demolition of 900 houses is really changing the landscape back to something like it must have been.

Being able to actually see the Parson Cross Hotel directly from Chaucer School is really weird - that view never existed on the old 49 bus route from Bridge Street!

Going along Buchanan Road is even worse. It seems like every third block of four is missing. It's a bit like one of those strange towns Clint Eastwood is stuck in in the "Dollar" films.

For those of us born and raised on The Cross it has become quite alien.

It doesn't make sense.

What are they going to build in the random spaces ?

I have often wondered about the origin of the name, Parson Cross.

It obviously comes from the street at Wadsley Bridge, Parson Cross Road, but what was the origin of that name?

I recently read a book about the origin of street names in Sheffield, which says that Parson Cross Road was originally called Parson Crosse Layne, and is mentioned in a survery from the 1650s, but the source of the name remains a mystery.

Can anybody throw a bit more light, or will it be a mystery forever.....??

Walter is still around, he's in Deerland's nursing home now which is on Margetson Road.

The house that exploded on Margetson - wasn't it the Warrens who lived there?

A lot of the streets were named after people in literary fields but also after artists.

Originally posted by Bushbaby

I have often wondered about the origin of the name, Parson Cross.

It obviously comes from the street at Wadsley Bridge, Parson Cross Road, but what was the origin of that name?

I recently read a book about the origin of street names in Sheffield, which says that Parson Cross Road was originally called Parson Crosse Layne, and is mentioned in a survery from the 1650s, but the source of the name remains a mystery.

Can anybody throw a bit more light, or will it be a mystery forever.....??

Parson Cross Road does not appear on maps of 1855, let alone 1650, although Parson Cross School does appear.

The road from what is now The White Horse to The Ritz (now Southey Green Road) was known as School Lane.

The Ritz area (built 1937) was known as Toad Hole.

The rest of Southey Green Road, from The Ritz to the Southey roundabout where The Magnet pub used to be, was called Toad Hole Lane in 1855.

The Magnet pub (now demolished) was built on a site occupied by another pub in 1855 called the Travellers Inn.

Parson Cross Turnpike (where people paid a toll to use the road) was situated at the junction of Foxhill Road and Halifax Road in 1855, just above Wadsley Bridge railway station.

Click Here for a map of the area in 1855.

A teacher at Fox Hll school in the 1960's told me that Parson Cross was named because it was the area where the two parsons from seperate villages used to cross paths with each other as they walked to their respective churches each day.

Don't know if there is any truth in this.

Originally posted by hillsborough

A teacher at Fox Hll school in the 1960's told me that Parson Cross was named because it was the area where the two parsons from seperate villages used to cross paths with each other as they walked to their respective churches each day.

Don't know if there is any truth in this.

Interesting - I wonder . . .

We were told various origins . . .

There was a Parson whose name was Mr Cross - or Parson Cross.

Someone slapped the Parson - the Parson was Cross.

A Parson placed a cross on Halifax Road to remind travellers that the Lord is with them on their travels.

Incidentally, the Parson Cross map posted two posts ago should show an enlargement symbol if you leave your cursor on the map for a few seconds.

ALL the houses on Buchanan Road between Adlington Road and Buchanan Drive have now been demolished. It looks pretty strange.

Originally posted by Unregistered

Interesting - I wonder . . .

ALL the houses on Buchanan Road between Adlington Road and Buchanan Drive have now been demolished. It looks pretty strange.

:clap: it's a big improvement , you can see where all the chavs are hiding :suspect: