Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

I think Tracy was the oldest of the kids - she's probably joined a circus or sommat by now - well she's tried the zoo :)

Mick still used to weld on the front when I lived on the road - looking back he just seemed a little weird but now he was probably mentally disturbed.

Also used to remember the two tramps who used to walk about the estate - Eddie Bedstead and Daft Dennis. I wonder if they are still alive?

Hi everyone !

I was born in Grenoside, can't remember the name of the road , it was down the hill from the mormon church on the corner of Salt Box lane, if it's still there !

From about 62' onwards i grew up on Wheata Road.

Your memories have really brought back hundreds of my own !

The 2p busfares on the 79,89 and 49 buses.

The shortcut through the fence, across the fairground field on Wordsworth, and sports field to Colley, frowned on for years before popular pressure turned it into a proper route (i think).

Hanging around on the council garage sites on Tunwell Avenue and Colley Crescent (Tunwell was better, as it joined onto a big area of open land that was a battlefield, bike track,hiding place etc).They must have gone now ?

What were seen then as normal walks to the woods behind Gatty Hall, Kepples Column, Greno Woods, and up Station Road.

Kids would be horrified to walk half those distances these days !

The not so good behaviour in the old boarded up cinema at the end of the common, next to the Arundel , what was it called ?

Scrumping, hedge hopping, go karting on old pram bodies down Colley Crescent at break neck speeds, insane !

Colley , St Micheals, Meynell and Mansell schools all fighting at lunchtimes (not together).I remember the ice cream vans had policemen in them at one stage outside Colley.

The nearest families and friends were the Lally's, Wilson's, Armitage's, Greens,Duffin's.

I,ve got to go and sit down to gather some more memories !

do the duffins you mention include graham,gladys ?

Hi Whisper

No , i don't think so , the Duffin's lived on Tunewell Avenue, i only knew Andrew, and he had a sister , Linda , or Lynne i think.

Andrew Duffin was completely bonkers, and i,m sure he won't mind me saying it.

He would do anything for a dare, i remember him laying in the stream in Ecclesfield park (the one by the car park at the common entrance, fully dressed, did'nt bat an eye)

I think he went into the army after he left school , and onto the marines, a worthy addition if you ask me !

yes thats the same family.the people i mention are his aunt and uncle.sisters are jayne n jackie.

Small world Whisper !, have'nt had any contact with Andy since we left school, hope they are all o.k., salt of the earth family, a i think most of ours were back then.

A friend of mine has just pointed out that three adjacent houses (ours included) on our street had 25 kids between them , how scary is that !

Originally posted by relight9

The nearest families and friends were the Lally's, Wilson's, Armitage's, Greens,Duffin's.

I knew One of the Lally's. His name was Vincent and I think he was the eldest of 8 or 9 kids. He was a great guy. Had a "Goon" type sense of humour.

At Junior school (Tommy More's) he was the only kid in the class who didn't play football.

The family moved to Wheata from Foxhill (1965 ish) when the family got too big for the house

Originally posted by relight9

Small world Whisper !, have'nt had any contact with Andy since we left school, hope they are all o.k., salt of the earth family, a i think most of ours were back then.

A friend of mine has just pointed out that three adjacent houses (ours included) on our street had 25 kids between them , how scary is that !

yes relight9,they are a lovely family,and all are ok.Andrew has got twin boys now who he dotes on.

Lally? - was there a Leena Lally?

I seem to remember a Leena Lally marrying a son of the big demolition company - Whites.

It amazes me how people disperse over the years - most of us went to school and knew hundreds of kids - where are they all now?

Well didnt i get told off for the brevity of my response, not sure i wanna play anymore

Originally posted by theStudent

Well didnt i get told off for the brevity of my response, not sure i wanna play anymore

What the f*** The're back . Chuffin students.

:loopy:

There was indeed a Leena Lally i think.She was one of the older kids, so i did'nt know her very well at the time.

If she did marry well , good luck to her, the family deserved a few breaks, they had i tough , as we all did compared to nowadays, blah blah blah.