Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Originally posted by saxon51

Slightly off topic, but has anyone driven along Buchanan Road recently?

In the places where houses have been removed the land is awash with colour from wildflowers.

It seems as though the ancient farmland on which the estate was built must have been full of dormant seeds and they are now coming up with a vengeance.

It looks really good and seems to be getting left alone to do its own thing.

I noticed that - how beautiful - but I assumed that the Council had scattered a shed load of wild flower seed around to bring a bit of colour to the mess they have made.

I think its a real plan by the council - there was some posters explaining it on the shops at Margetson - didn't take much notice at the time - but it does look quite pleasant until the chavs tear them up with their motor bikes and scooters...

Originally posted by Internetowl

it does look quite pleasant until the chavs tear them up with their motor bikes and scooters...

Give them some rope - I've heard about hanging chavs.

hello turfittmar i also lived on wordsworth avenue.we first lived near the tavern. i remember the shops on margetson cres.being built i used to go to school at grenoside, because the local schools had,nt been built. when we moved further down wordsworth, it was into what were called the yellow houses. iwent to colley school.i remember all the shops on wheater road.one of the first shops was called the maypole. friends i had were anne coleman,georgie laycock,berly pease, margret rose.two of my sons in the 1980s had paper rounds for mr aldams.mr and mrs bellhouse moved to longley. weused to have a week off school in october it,s called half term now ,then it was called potatoe picking week. we used to go to the farms in ecclesfield for about 4 shillings a day.we really only went for the lads. they were very happy times.rock and roll had just started. the sun seemed to shine all of the 6 weeks holidays, or is it me getting old? i would love to hear anyone else,s stories. pollyann.

Originally posted by pollyann

i had were anne coleman,georgie laycock,berly pease, margret rose.B]

Hi Pollyann.

I knew two members of the Pease family, Aubrey and Avril. Both lovely kids. It sounds like the same family.

What was the role of that big tower at the top of the hill next to St Paul's?

I was involved in the Parson Cross Festival around 1981. Anyone remember that? Not very festive really, not much happened and we didn't have much money, but I was supposed to be organising it! I didn't live there - it was one of those fill-in jobs you get when you're long term unemployed which, as you may know, wasn't unusual in Sheffield in the early 1980s. I met a load of nice people on the estate.

Avril Pease (now Bishop) owns what was Mr Aldams shop. She worked there for years then bought it when Mr Aldam retired.

Originally posted by pollyann

we used to have a week off school in october it's called half term now, then it was called potato picking week. we used to go to the farms in ecclesfield for about 4 shillings a day. we really only went for the lads. they were very happy times.

I'd forgot about spud picking week, we went somewhere up Grenoside but I've no idea where. The five bob or so a day was most welcome but the back ache for the following week was murder.

I did Spud week in 1967, up Salt Box Lane.

There were about six of us and we got ten bob for each half-a-day.

Bearing in mind that ten No 6 Tipped was 1/9 we were quids in. Enough fags to last till bonfire night

Originally posted by babyboom

Avril Pease (now Bishop) owns what was Mr Aldams shop. She worked there for years then bought it when Mr Aldam retired.

I remember she had a boyfriend call Trevor Bishop, so I guess she married him

The concrete Wordsworth Avenue was partly built by Prisoners of War. It's a shame that their inscription in the wet concrete near to the Wordsworth Tavern war covered in tarmac before being photographed.