Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

I posted a reply today[27/06/04 History and Expats ] to a query about hardware shops.My reply has some of my memories of the shops on Margetson Cres;

See if it jogs the memories of you old timers.

Just to help everyone, the thread you need to look at is 'Fishers Ironmongers'.

Old Parson Cross Joke

"Why did Jesus die on the Cross?

Because there were no houses left on the Manor"

Originally posted by sandy

l live in parson cross now and loooking for people who lived here and went to school here

as im in a local history group

and we would like people to tell us they story as how parson cross used to be

so we can make a memory box to take around the local schools and the old people homes in sheffield

Hi Sandy,

I was born on the Parson Cross Estate,Wordsworth Ave to be exact in 1959, I grew up there till I was 14yrs old, then we moved to U.S.A.

My grandparents and parents moved into the house when it was brand new, thats the house I was born in along with my brother and sister.

My grandparents remained there till 1988, and so many things had changed.

I remember the news agent use to be at one time Mr Daley, then it was taken over by Aldams, then there was Straws, the chippy was owned by Mr. Mrs Bellhouse and the fruit shop was Leaches.

Boy do I miss those days .

I would love to hear from any old neighbours from around there.

There is never no where like home.

Did you have a sister called Pat?

Demolition of 900 homes at Parson Cross is well under way and Parson Cross College (the former Colley School and Saint Peters School) is due to follow.

Does anyone know what the future building plans are for the area ?

I'm sure that the 110 bus used to travel up Donovan Road at the side of the Fortyfoot pub, past the Magnet pub at Southey and turn full circle on the roundabout at the bottom of Adlington Road before returning to Bridge Street in town.

Years later it was extended to run down Colley Road and up to a terminus on Colley Crescent, probably as the number 79.

Guest poppins

Would anyone remember my old school psl Cybill Guy ? she lived on the Parsons Cross estate, i use to roller skate to her house from South Green the we would skate off to school together.

Cybill the joind the W.R.A.C. (peace time ) I joined about a year later, thats when we lost touch.

Originally posted by Unregistered [/i

Years later it was extended to run down Colley Road and up to a terminus on Colley Crescent, probably as the number 79. [/b]

Yes, you are right, I lived on Colley Crescent from being 12 to 22 across from the terminus stop and I can remember the number 10 went down the hill to Colley road and the 79 went up the hill over to Tunwell, My parents still live there.

I thought so.

Where is the boundary between Parson Cross and Ecclesfield?

Originally posted by Unregistered

I thought so.

Where is the boundary between Parson Cross and Ecclesfield?

I always thought it was at the end of Colley Road, where the P.Office is.

Post code S5 includes Parson Cross - S35 includes Ecclesfield and I think anything past the post office (not behind it) is S35.

Unless anyone else knows different!!

I was five years old when we moved on to Parson Cross.

We lived on Milnrow Road and the houses on Wordsworth Avenue (at the bottom of our back garden) were only just being built.

We used to play on the planks between the houses and climb down the brand new incomplete empty sewerage man holes and play at hide and seek. We also used to play at cowboys and indians.

The first school I went to was Chapeltown Lound Infants School, and then I went to Mansel Junior School.

We used to go down to the brook between Holgate Road and Deerlands Avenue with our wellies on.

One day I was walking with me dad on Milnrow when we met Tony Dalli. My dad could speak some Italian and they had a short friendly conversation.

We used to go to the youth club at the corner of Wordsworth Avenue and Remington Road. A travelling fair used to visit this site, which we enjoyed immensely.

I went to Ecclesfield Secondary Modern School at the time and they used to have a fair at the side of the school towards Wordsworth Avenue.

I remember going to the fair in my new 'teddy boy' petrol blue drapes and crepes. I thought I was Jack the Lad!

We moved to Colley Crescent when I was fifteen and I bought a motorbike when I was eighteen. It was a Matchless 250 with a Red and white petrol tank and it was quite heavy to handle.