Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

I wonder if any have been dug up and saved for the museum...? Thats an important piece of the citys history.

thats prob why most roads got tarmac on them as i guess people was out with chisles and hammers getting a piece of ww2 history but the one i only know remains is on chaucer road

found out today that it was italians as well as germans captured in ww2 that concreted most of the roads around parson cross,i thought it was only the germans

Whoever it was they did a bloody good job of it! I remember in the 80s when I worked for the Water board, we had to dig a trench across one of those roads to lay a water pipe and I wore about 10 pneumatic drill bits out.

The noise as the drill hit that concrete too.... bloody horrible.

found out today that it was italians as well as germans captured in ww2 that concreted most of the roads around parson cross,i thought it was only the germans

The Italians were used after the Italian government decided to join the allies. This meant that all the Italian POWs were effectively free men, but they couldn't be repatriated as Italy was effectively still an occupied country, so they were given legitimate jobs to make good use of their time, and building Parson Cross was a good way of employing lots of guys. The general view is that their standard of workmanship was very high, although they could have done a bit better with my mum's window sashes.

The Italians were used after the Italian government decided to join the allies. This meant that all the Italian POWs were effectively free men, but they couldn't be repatriated as Italy was effectively still an occupied country, so they were given legitimate jobs to make good use of their time, and building Parson Cross was a good way of employing lots of guys. The general view is that their standard of workmanship was very high, although they could have done a bit better with my mum's window sashes.

You always get one miserable unsatified B*"@$&d, I work for the local council and is just the same there! Moan,moan, moan, look on the bright side at least it had windows, old Eddie bedstead never had any!!!!

yeah,he,s been dead a few year mate,about 11 /12 year,it was so sad,roy brooke decorated his house for an early christmas,he knew derek wouldn,t make it,i remember all the trouble he got,but sometimes derek was his own worst enemy,i always got on with him ok though. he always had motor bikes,even though he had no licence,i remember fred and mary too,the first time i met fred,he just kept going on about not being a child molester,which i found a bit disturbing,i never heard anyone suggest he was,i also remember a deaf girl being at freds when i was there,a red haired girl,cant remember her name though,whatever happened to fred??? i know his son knocked about with a lad called les baxby.

Fred got a kicking in prison when he was locked up for messing around with kids, he denied it to strongly for my likeing (the lady does protest to much) his name was black guitar or summat like that. I got a good hiding off Derek for scromping their apple tree when I was a kid when his mother was still alive, I think Dean Derby was the one who left me up the tree and scarpered without saying owt, the arse!!!

You always get one miserable unsatified B*"@$&d, !

Nice one Glenn! Your Susan would be proud of yer.

Nice one Glenn! Your Susan would be proud of yer.

I doubt it we havn't spoken for about 15 years.

Fred got a kicking in prison when he was locked up for messing around with kids, he denied it to strongly for my likeing (the lady does protest to much) his name was black guitar or summat like that. I got a good hiding off Derek for scromping their apple tree when I was a kid when his mother was still alive, I think Dean Derby was the one who left me up the tree and scarpered without saying owt, the arse!!!

i heard the same glen that he got a kicking for messing with kids but he always said he was innocent,,but to try too hard playing innocent made him look more guilty,,his c.b handle was silver circle but may have had a different one at some stage,cant believe you got a good hiding off derek,you had some balls going near his tree

does anyone remember paul moore (nutty paul) who lived down nutton, we was once back hopping and we broke his fence and one night back hopping he was waiting for us, he came running out of his back door with a huge kitchen knife, we **** ourselves and made sure not to go near his garden again, but i am sure he had 2 sisters but his windows was always broke with cardboard blocking the holes

The Moore family were famous around the time I was growing up. The eldest was Freddie, who was a regular in The Beagle, then there was Paul and the two sisters (can’t remember their names).

They were innocent enough and suffered from being what we’d now call Educationally Sub-Normal.

Paul was a big “Mach-che-che United” fan (that’s how he pronounced it)

I used to feel sad for them. With a bit of help…well, who knows?

The Moore family were famous around the time I was growing up. The eldest was Freddie, who was a regular in The Beagle, then there was Paul and the two sisters (can’t remember their names).

They were innocent enough and suffered from being what we’d now call Educationally Sub-Normal.

Paul was a big “Mach-che-che United” fan (that’s how he pronounced it)

I used to feel sad for them. With a bit of help…well, who knows?

i know kids took **** out of them alot and used to enourage paul to give chase but his sisters used to pass our house on mansel, i think they was visiting people but as kids we i did not take **** out of paul as if we did, paul and his machete may come knocking at our door, i did not know freddie, did he live with paul down nutton??