Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

No worries Dozey, anyway sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Glad you are going to hang around

I just turned 55 - where did it all go?:(

Good Question,i'll be 62 next(January).

Dear Bushbaby,

I looked on the wbsite for Parson Cross but it doesn't mention the origin of the name. It only says that the area now known as Parson Cross was extensive farm land prior to essential house building.

Looks like a phone call to the Town Hall is required for futher historical information.

richardbush

Speaking of crosses, I remember the huge concrete cross on St Paul's church being struck by lightning and landing in the garden of the house next door but one to us.

When it was replaced by a wooden cross I had my pic on the front page of the Star as part of a bunch of kids watching the crane hoist it up to the top of that ugly tower in front of the church

It wa aounnd 196263 I guess

I think it got struck twice,before they decided to put a wooden cross up,and by the way,the church cost £38,000 to build.

£38,000 is now worth £635,713,22,any good or what.

Speaking of crosses, I remember the huge concrete cross on St Paul's church being struck by lightning and landing in the garden of the house next door but one to us.

When it was replaced by a wooden cross I had my pic on the front page of the Star as part of a bunch of kids watching the crane hoist it up to the top of that ugly tower in front of the church

It wa aounnd 196263 I guess

I thought that cross landed on the vicars mini?

I thought that cross landed on the vicars mini?

Yeah, I grew up with that story too. Be a shame to think it wasn't true, but I guess urban myths often aren't.

Dear Bushbaby,

Looks like a phone call to the Town Hall is required ...

richardbush

When I was at Sheffield Uni a few years ago, doing some research into Social History, I had a look through the library's catalogue to try and find an origin of the name "Parson Cross", and could find nothing whatsoever. The estate is definitely named after the street/school at Wadsley Bridge, but where those names originated seems to be lost in the mists of time.

I'm not sure that ringing the Town Hall would bear much fruit. They can't even tell me why there are so many potholes in the road at Gleadless!

is the town hall still open ? ha ha

I remember once, my brother John, and his mate Dave B, were stood at the bottom of the gennel on Wordsworth, on either side of the road. As a number 49 came past, they would each throw a small stone over the bus to the other.

It was a real laugh until my brother’s stone went through the bus window and my dad had to fork out for a new one.

He still had the receipt in his pocket when he died 20 years later...

You must be Ian or Timothy I guess if memory serves me correctly.

Roper used to hate me for some reason even though I was almost top of the class.

I went to Mums' funeral last year - Mr Gannon from across the road was there looking fit as a fiddle.

You must be Keith..I contacted Brian a couple of months ago but I have changed computors and have lost his e mail address,could you forward it to me please.I heard you were in Hong Kong,did you move back to Sheffield . I,m now living in Arizona, in the town that bought the London bridge,its a little warmer than Ecclesfield ,120 degrees and sunny every day,but I still miss home.

I,m now living in Arizona, in the town that bought the London bridge.

Wow! Is the bridge still there? Is it across a river or summat? Any chance of a foto of it?

bushbaby

its not a jennel on wordsworth its a 8 FOOT

life is very short and there no time for fussing and fighting my friend