Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

I knew the Pease family,they had 13 kids and the Surr family had 10 kids, the Wrights used to live behind us ,Martin,Stuart,and Christine, I remember my younger brother and Martin trying to nick the gears off the cops bike at the top of wheata rd and the dogs chased them away,master criminals these two!!!

Can anyonre remember the old guy (Noddy) that used to live on colley cresent. I was born in 62 and can remember him doddering down colley road with his stick. ( Ithink he ight have been blind or partially sited) We were all scared of him an used to call him names until we finally plucked up the courage to stand and talk to him. He was a strange simple old character- what happened to the characters like these? why do we only have psychos these days?

Stuart (Noddy as you correctly say he was known as) used to live next door to us with his dad and brother, I remember his dad and brother died and Stuart did go in a home. I see another reply says he is still alive and still in the home.

Does anyone remember the Teachers at Monteney school, There was mr white the headmaster, he retired and mr knowles became the new head, there was mr jenkins (english) miss lowe (she was french) can anyone remember anymore

There was Mr Hall Geography in room 15 on the top floor. There was also Pete Evans in room 13. his wife was a teacher at Chap Comp. There was also a music teacher, Miss Shackelton I think but she got married and I can't think of her Married Name.

There was Mr Hall Geography in room 15 on the top floor. There was also Pete Evans in room 13. his wife was a teacher at Chap Comp. There was also a music teacher, Miss Shackelton I think but she got married and I can't think of her Married Name.

There was also Mr Hilbert, Mr Dunn, Miss Grapes Miss Bonart(is that how you spell it?) Miss dervycka later Mrs Jago, Mrs Turner, Mrs Sutton, Mrs Flynn, Mrs Minchin, Mrs Wolstenholme, Mrs Lakin.

No never did hang around that area of Parson Cross,more Southey Green area,not trying to be clever, but i think i may be a lot older than you think i am!

whilst on the subject of apologies,i must apologise for my outburst earlier in this thread (crap,ignorant) i did not understand how these pages work,i apologise without reservations to anyone offended by it.

No worries Dozey, anyway sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Glad you are going to hang around

I just turned 55 - where did it all go?:(

I remember the teachers at monteney school from the earrly 60s.There was mrs cork who had 40 kids in her class,Mr Roper who was very mean,Mr Day who was a big guy with a beard.I lived on Wordsworth Ave just down from the clinic and St Pauls church,I think I used to hang around with mr blueowls brother

You must be Ian or Timothy I guess if memory serves me correctly.

Roper used to hate me for some reason even though I was almost top of the class.

I went to Mums' funeral last year - Mr Gannon from across the road was there looking fit as a fiddle.

I knew the Pease family,they had 13 kids and the Surr family had 10 kids, the Wrights used to live behind us ,Martin,Stuart,and Christine, I remember my younger brother and Martin trying to nick the gears off the cops bike at the top of wheata rd and the dogs chased them away,master criminals these two!!!

I once got into trouble with a copper for riding two-on-a-bike with Phil Oxley who lived just up from the Wrights. I also used to knock around with Stuart Wright and John Stokes who lived further down Wheata.

The families on our side of Wordsworth that I remember

Ashforth, Henderson, Bloomer, Hill (O'Neil) Millward, Rooker, Fiddler, Watts, Gilbertson as well as the Pease and Surrs

Mrs Henderson used to lend me her season ticket to go and watch Wednesday reserves when I was about nine or ten.

Does anyone remember the Teachers at Monteney school, There was mr white the headmaster, he retired and mr knowles became the new head, there was mr jenkins (english) miss lowe (she was french) can anyone remember anymore

I must have been there before you, I remember Mr White took over after Mr Lewis the former Head passed away

I remember Roper, Wrightson - who married Miss Garside, Housden, and some horrible old bag called Miss Leach,

What was the name of the headmistress at the Infant school Handley I think -quite a character she was.

I must have been there before you, I remember Mr White took over after Mr Lewis the former Head passed away

I remember Roper, Wrightson - who married Miss Garside, Housden, and some horrible old bag called Miss Leach,

What was the name of the headmistress at the Infant school Handley I think -quite a character she was.

Think I remember Miss Handley, if I am correct she taught us to sing "Silent Night" in German for some unknown reason!

Think I remember Miss Handley, if I am correct she taught us to sing "Silent Night" in German for some unknown reason!

That could only be her, a little eccentric but very nice lady.

Short of stature with blackish hair and a walking stick

Probably because it was a German Carrol 'Stille Nacht'.

Much better sung in German

With all this talk about the early days of Parson Cross, and indeed Parson Cross Rd and School, do we have any idea of the origin of the name? Was there a "Cross" or any other significant source of material for it?

Dear Bushbaby,

I looked on the wbsite for Parson Cross but it doesn't mention the origin of the name. It only says that the area now known as Parson Cross was extensive farm land prior to essential house building.

Looks like a phone call to the Town Hall is required for futher historical information.

richardbush