Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

When I started work for the L.N.E.R in 1959 as an apprentice plumber.Every station from Sheffield to Dunford Bridge was still open.I left in 1960,and they wer shutting them down then,and that was before Beeching.

Did May live opposite the other end of Margetson Crescent from the Tav on Wordsworth,and have one lung,so that she had to smoke a fag faster.If it was her,she was great,and never pulled a pint in the Tav,but collected glasses.She was a charecter,and we do not have many left.Every person that went in the Tav/Old Tav/New Tav,was a person,not like the Trisha fodder that goe in now...Godbless

Never mind the yob's,and hoodys.

Remember the The Pensioners Hut between Rokeby Road,and Wordsworth Ave.The people of the so called den of iniquity called the The Wordsworth Tavern,used to supply these pensioners with all their requsites at most holidays.They also used to send them on a day trip once a year.I know this is true,as my Dad,and myself paid every week a few coppers towards it,and so did all the people who went in to Poets Corner,and Dove Cottage,the names of the room's in the Old Tavern.The young men,and women of those times still respected the old people,and took a lead from their Mom's,and Dads.Do not ask me where it has gone wrong,but there are still many more good people on The Cross than the other kind.I was born opposite The Ritz,so I cannot be more Parson Cross than that.

The Neighbourhood Centre that is where the Pensioners Hut was,used to be a great place when it was built in the early 80s.I was on the dole in the Maggie era,and we served meals twice a week,and you could feed two for 50p at our Community Cafe.We ran it for three years or so,and took a load of kids off The Cross to Lightwater Valley.They still talk about it now,and they are in their mid 30s......Ray

_______________Life is never in doubt?...You will die.

I lived in Parsons Cross from 1948 to 1960. My father was Dr A Bagon and we lived in Wordsworth Avenue at the Doctor's House. My father died at the age of 88, fortunately my mother is still alive and now lives in Buxton. David

Thankyou - very interesting.

Our GP was Dr. Anderson and I went to school with Dr.O'Connor's son - Rory.

My mother oftened telephoned for Dr. Bagon to make a house visit. She used to be a nurse ( a State Registered Fever Nurse ) and so would make these requests with a very professional manner which I'm sure impressed our neigbours and you father's receptionist!

richardbush

Our GP was Dr. Anderson

richardbush

Mine too. He was an old Jewish guy who was great with kids but less good with adults. In the early 1990's, after he'd retired, he was the head of Sheffield's Jewish community - very highly revered by those who knew him.

I remember once my mum took me to see him, and she told him I'd got measles. He got angry, telling her that he was the doctor and would make the diagnosis, not her. It was measles though. I spent the next three days covered from head-to-toe in calamine. Yeeeuchh!

Never mind the yob's,and hoodys.

Remember the The Pensioners Hut between Rokeby Road,and Wordsworth Ave.The people of the so called den of iniquity called the The Wordsworth Tavern,used to supply these pensioners with all their requsites at most holidays.They also used to send them on a day trip once a year.I know this is true,as my Dad,and myself paid every week a few coppers towards it,and so did all the people who went in to Poets Corner,and Dove Cottage,the names of the room's in the Old Tavern.The young men,and women of those times still respected the old people,and took a lead from their Mom's,and Dads.Do not ask me where it has gone wrong,but there are still many more good people on The Cross than the other kind.I was born opposite The Ritz,so I cannot be more Parson Cross than that.

The Neighbourhood Centre that is where the Pensioners Hut was,used to be a great place when it was built in the early 80s.I was on the dole in the Maggie era,and we served meals twice a week,and you could feed two for 50p at our Community Cafe.We ran it for three years or so,and took a load of kids off The Cross to Lightwater Valley.They still talk about it now,and they are in their mid 30s......Ray

_______________Life is never in doubt?...You will die.

During the inter regnum - between the old Tavern and the new one being built - a pop group appeared at the Colley WMC and sang " Once upon a time there was a Tavern". They couldn't understand the uproar at the opening line!

richardbush

Did May live opposite the other end of Margetson Crescent from the Tav on Wordsworth,and have one lung,so that she had to smoke a fag faster.If it was her,she was great,and never pulled a pint in the Tav,but collected glasses.She was a charecter,and we do not have many left.Every person that went in the Tav/Old Tav/New Tav,was a person,not like the Trisha fodder that goe in now...Godbless

I think May did live in that area, my dad remembers her and I spoke to a chap from Canada and if my memory is correct I think it was his mum, he's on here often(sweetdexter) he lived on The Cross when it was built so his input is very interesting. x

You should have been there when they turned the street lights on,and still no proper footpaths.Your mom was there,and Pauline,and Val.It was like Blackpool on the Cross that night,and we were posh,coz we had a light at the top of our path.When they lit the orange lights on Wordsworth we use to walk along there just to laugh at ourselves looking a different colour.Those little things you never forget.

You are right twink1 my mother did work at the Tavern,but behind the bar .

I don't think the person Eccoray is talking about and my mother are the same person.

When my mother finished working at the Tavern we lived on Rokeby Dr.From 47 to 58 we lived on Wordsworth but opposite Milnrow Rd

She only died in 2002 at the age of 88.With all lungs intact

I think it was next to the last house that blew up.If it was Warrens.it was.

Sorry about that Sweetdexter.I must be wrong as usual,but there was a woman called May who did collect glasses for many years.The Tavern was my local from 1962 to 1980.My dad,and me used to go in the best room.The Magnet was 2d more in there,than the tap room.We had some good times,both the old,and new Tav's.

My dad used to go into the Tavern from..... god knows when until the early 70s when he died.

Bob Jackson. Anyone remember him?