Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

The tunnel thats half way along the field was still there in 2000 when I saw it, its where the stream swings to the left around the back gardens that line the close, but its pretty hard to miss as its only a narrow thing.

As for the Bogeymen in the foxhill part of the tunnel, it was probably some of my bog-eyed friends who had the guts to go in there. I know I was certainly too wimpy to go far into it.

As for the Bogeymen in the foxhill part of the tunnel, it was probably some of my bog-eyed friends who had the guts to go in there. I know I was certainly too wimpy to go far into it.

We used to have picnics up there....( well, we did once. Got as far as the first "Sitting" - flask of tea and a treacle sandwich)

The Landlord of the Magnet in the mid 50s was Ted Catlin, who played left back for Wednesday & England. I went to school with his son Gary.

Not exactly a minor Wednesday player then, as someone else stated,but

something of a legend.

We used to have picnics up there....( well, we did once. Got as far as the first "Sitting" - flask of tea and a treacle sandwich)

What I`ll never understand is how the leeches managed to survive, the stream was full of the little sods and its obvious that they could have fed off the cattle when there were farms around, but by the 60s and 70s and even today, cattle are a distant memory there, I used to find the occasional cows tooth on the fields and stuff but thats all. Did they exist solely by attaching themselves to kids? Did they cling onto the many rats that live along the stream? Bugger David Attenborough and his gorillas, (Not Literally for gods sake!) he ought to get to the brook and do a programme on them.

I went down the brook footpath recently; the rats are still there and seem bigger than what they were when I was a kid in the 70's.

During the 70s myself and a friend used to dig the rats up and kill them on the 2nd field from Holgate Avenue. Cruel, I know, but one day in `75 we dug one out of its hole that was huge. It attacked us and scared us so badly that we didnt dare kill any more. For a couple of 14 year olds it was a horrible thing to do and I now think we more than deserved the scare we had.

For the Parson Cross record, the Huntsman pub at the corner of Deerlands Avenue and Barnsley Road is no more.

It's just been demolished and the land is available for 'car sales or residential'

For the Parson Cross record, the Huntsman pub at the corner of Deerlands Avenue and Barnsley Road is no more.

It's just been demolished and the land is available for 'car sales or residential'

What a crying shame. Its sad the number of pubs that are dissarearing. I suppose the Shiregreen Hotel and the Sicey will soon follow.

What a crying shame. Its sad the number of pubs that are dissarearing. I suppose the Shiregreen Hotel and the Sicey will soon follow.

Indeed it is, specially when you recall those places heaving with life and you had to go there early just to get in. But I remember going to the Shiregreen Hotel more recently and it was empty. Times change I guess.

I also went past the nearby Regency Hotel at Ecclesfield. That's now surrounded by a builders fence whilst work goes on inside. I'm not sure if that's building work or demolition.

Indeed it is, specially when you recall those places heaving with life and you had to go there early just to get in. But I remember going to the Shiregreen Hotel more recently and it was empty. Times change I guess.

I also went past the nearby Regency Hotel at Ecclesfield. That's now surrounded by a builders fence whilst work goes on inside. I'm not sure if that's building work or demolition.

It's being turned into resedentail accomodation!

The Hunstman was the first pub I ever tasted alcohol in, I was underage (16) and I remember staggering back along the brook on my way home. I paddled the entire way home. I didnt go back to the huntsman after that because I discovered the pubs of Hillsborough and town, but I knew a few people who drank there regularly and they loved it. It`ll be missed by a lot of people.

It's being turned into residential accomodation!

More accomodation ??? Blimey - Ecclesfield is already overcrowded. Traffic is becoming a nightmare. I call upon everyone to use public transport (Then I can drive straight through !!!)

The Hunstman was the first pub I ever tasted alcohol in, I was underage (16) and I remember staggering back along the brook on my way home. I paddled the entire way home. I didnt go back to the Huntsman after that because I discovered the pubs of Hillsborough and town, but I knew a few people who drank there regularly and they loved it. It`ll be missed by a lot of people.

Yes, it was very popular at one time, with a special room for children. No doubt the success caused the rent to be jacked up.