Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

I used to go to Colley School, Remington Rd - left 1976.

Colley School (later Parson Cross College) is fast disappearing.

I passed the derelict building today (27 April 2006) and a couple of JCB's have started ripping down the metal-clad single-storey classrooms that were recently set on fire.

And where will all the homeless people go when the Parson Cross Hotel is knocked down.

LOL..... well funny you should say that....

They may be in luck. An outline planning application has recently been made to Sheffield Council to turn the PX Hotel into a residential development.

Parson Cross Hotel pic]

My parents moved to Holgate in 1938 or thereabouts from the slums in Attercliffe so it was a definate move up for them, they loved the area and for a long time it was classed as a posh estate, and even in the 80s when I was living in Hillsborough a lot of people there were convinced that The Cross was a nice, decent place to live- which in many ways it was. I certainly loved it there, the only bad thing about it was the occasional rough-arsed family who gave the area a bad name, and thats the same for places all over the world. I miss living there and I think I always will. I have some great memories of the place and people.

What year was Holgate built then? I always thought it was post war, I didn't realise it was older. Does anybody know?

The Cross has always been a socially deprived area but even upto the early nineties I wouldn't have lived anywhere else. I noticed a lot more trouble started brewing when the Kelvin flats were being emptied and lots of new families were being housed on the X. Anti-social behaviour and neglect of properties increased IMO. I left the X in 1996 just as the real rot was starting to set in.

Im sorry if Ive tarred all ex-Kelvin tenants with a negative brush. I realise not everybody from the Kelvin was bad. Its the same as usual, just a few spoil it for the majority.

Im not sure exactly when Holgate Avenue was built, but if you go to number 90 and check the wall on the side of the house about 15 feet to the right of the front door, you`ll see an area of repaired damage. That was caused by a chunk of shrapnel from a bomb that was dropped in 1940. The Luftwaffe were trying to make it to the industrial area and one of the planes dropped a bomb a long way short of its mark.

They're at it again . . . .

''Two security guards have been rescued after being trapped in a fire at the disused and partly demolished Parson Cross College (former Colley School).

Firefighters using breathing apparatus found the men inside the Centre in the early hours of Bank Holiday Monday (1/5/06).

It is believed the men called the emergency services when they found they could not get out of the building.

They were taken to hospital but their condition is not yet known.

Officers are investigating the cause of the fire at the Remington Road site, which was badly damaged in March in a suspected arson attack.''

What year was Holgate built then? I always thought it was post war, I didn't realise it was older. Does anybody know?

I think that most of Holgate was built after the war.

But from what I understand, a few houses at the very bottom of Adlington Road, down to the stream called Tongue Gutter, were built just before the outbreak of war. (There was no roundabout then and Adlington Road was a bit longer than it is today)

Those few houses on Adlington Road between Deerlands Avenue and Tongue Gutter came to be on Holgate Avenue when it was re-named after the war.

It seems that Tongue Gutter was a natural boundary between what was commonly called Old Parson Cross and New Parson Cross or Pre-War and Post-War.

Pre-1937, Adlington Road started life as a simple footpath connecting a small farming community at Southey to the next farming community - Ecclesfield.

I remember my dad telling me that on the fields on the Ecclesfield side of the stream, where the flats are now, was an area where they had a funfair each year, and sometime in the 50s, a freak tornado hit the area and completely ravaged the fair, and took roofs off quite a few of the houses. After the tornado the fair was moved to the area near to Colley School.

Erm... I know its hardly relevant information considering the topic, and as I`m typing this, I`m beginning to wonder if im turning senile.

Erm... I know its hardly relevant information considering the topic, and as I`m typing this, I`m beginning to wonder if im turning senile.

It doesn't matter... Any memories or news with the slightest relevance to Parson Cross is most welcome. It makes fascinating reading for Parson Cross people both now and in 100 years time!

I only remember the fair being at the junction of Remington Road and Wordsworth Avenue, near to the Tanner Hop. It also operated at the back of the Ball Inn on High Street in Ecclesfield. That was from about 1960 and it was run by the Percival and North families.

It doesn't matter... Any memories or news with the slightest relevance to Parson Cross is most welcome. It makes fascinating reading for Parson Cross people both now and in 100 years time!

I only remember the fair being at the junction of Remington Road and Wordsworth Avenue, near to the Tanner Hop. It also operated at the back of the Ball Inn on High Street in Ecclesfield. That was from about 1960 and it was run by the Percival and North families.

Thanks for that, because I could waffle on for hours about stuff that would seem trivial to others, for instance, daring each other as kids to crawl along the tunnel that goes under Holgate Avenue, and coming out into the sunlight on the other end of the tunnel, proud and laughing....until we discovered that we were covered in leeches.

One question though...

About half way along the field between Wordsworth Avenue and Holgate Avenue is a tunnel that dissapears into and under the estate, its obviously for drainage, because after heavy rainstorms it looks like a hose pipe under full pressure. We often considered crawling along it to find out where it lead to, but most of the kids in the area were scared of the tunnel because our parents told us that a kid had once crawled along it and was never seen again, (Same with the tunnel that runs under Wordsworth Avenue, it doesnt have an ending- irrisistable for kids) and I`m wondering if theres any truth to the story, or was it simply a "Bogeyman" tale to keep us from exploring. Does anyone know anything about it? I know that they intended "piping" the entire stream from at least Wordsworth to Holgate in the 50s, and covering it with soil and grassland, but aparrantly a kid was playing next to the concrete pipes and one of them rolled and crushed him.

About half way along the field between Wordsworth Avenue and Holgate Avenue is a tunnel that dissapears into and under the estate, its obviously for drainage, because after heavy rainstorms it looks like a hose pipe under full pressure.

I don't remember that, maybe it had been filled in by the early 60's.

The field surrounded on three sides by Milnrow Road, Margetson Road and Holgate Avenue has had flats built on it since very early 1980.

(Same with the tunnel that runs under Wordsworth Avenue, it doesnt have an ending- irrisistable for kids) and I`m wondering if theres any truth to the story, or was it simply a "Bogeyman" tale QUOTE]

The tunnel running under Wordsworth up towards Foxhill really did have Bogeymen in it - My mate Pete Ashmore saw them!!