Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

That's it - old Arthur - a great bloke.

They went cruising with P&O a few times - must have made a bob or two with those old hand pumps they used to wrestle with to serve up a pint.

Jean Plant - have you seen her in recent years? she was a good friend of mine and the best barmaid in Ecclesfield.

Jean Plant - have you seen her in recent years? she was a good friend of mine and the best barmaid in Ecclesfield.

Blimey, it must be 30 years ago and I haven't seen her since. I only knew her through the Tankard. I remember some of those times like it was last year.

I never realised that Holgate was part of ''Old Parson Cross'' (built pre-war).

I know that the houses around the Wordsworth Tavern were built post-war and called ''New Parson Cross''. Many families moved into their brand new homes in November of 1947 - probably the worst Winter on record.

Alas, I remember it well. Coal was still rationed if you could afford to buy it.

Our family could not ,so I spent a lot of my weekends gleaning on the YEB generating station tips.

All at the tender age of 8

Oliver Twist never had it so good

Blimey, it must be 30 years ago and I haven't seen her since. I only knew her through the Tankard. I remember some of those times like it was last year.

So do I - but the worry is I can't remember last week!!!!

I never realised that Holgate was part of ''Old Parson Cross'' (built pre-war).

I know that the houses around the Wordsworth Tavern were built post-war and called ''New Parson Cross''. Many families moved into their brand new homes in November of 1947 - probably the worst Winter on record.

I remember my dad telling me that up until the war, Holgate avenue was part of Adlington road, the stream next to the house we lived in was the border between Sheffield and Ecclesfield, he also told me about a Hurricane and a Messershmit having a dogfight over the fields in 1940, he and my mother stopped digging an anderson shelter to watch the fight. My dad was a manager at a steelworks so he couldnt go to fight the war because of the reserved occupation thing, and at nights he had to go and wander the streets of sheffield looking out for incendiary bombs.

aparrantly, the houses that were built on the Ecclesfield side of the brook were classed as new parson cross.

It was 1947 when we move on to Milnrow Road. I was five years old.

Doesn't time fly?

does anyone know darran or dean andrews who grew up on lindsay road, or my nannan jenny Andrews?

I remember my dad telling me that up until the war, Holgate avenue was part of Adlington road, the stream next to the house we lived in was the border between Sheffield and Ecclesfield, he also told me about a Hurricane and a Messershmit having a dogfight over the fields in 1940, he and my mother stopped digging an anderson shelter to watch the fight. My dad was a manager at a steelworks so he couldnt go to fight the war because of the reserved occupation thing, and at nights he had to go and wander the streets of sheffield looking out for incendiary bombs.

aparrantly, the houses that were built on the Ecclesfield side of the brook were classed as new parson cross.

Interesting . . .

In the early sixties I remember the house next to the stream slowly getting flooded out after torrential rain. The water level gradually climbed the few steps to the front door but before it got to the top, water had already entered the house through some air grates in the walls. It made a right mess and it had a lasting effect on me, I've always avoided low lying houses ever since.

In the war, a couple of houses on nearby Southey Hill were completely destroyed by a parachute bomb.

Interesting . . .

In the early sixties I remember the house next to the stream slowly getting flooded out after torrential rain. The water level gradually climbed the few steps to the front door but before it got to the top, water had already entered the house through some air grates in the walls. It made a right mess and it had a lasting effect on me, I've always avoided low lying houses ever since.

In the war, a couple of houses on nearby Southey Hill were completely destroyed by a parachute bomb.

Yup that was number 90, the house where I was born in 1960, I remember the flood, I think I was about 6 at the time, and we were flooded again in 1979.

Having heard the many stories about Buchanan Road and how it looks today, I decided to pay a visit last weekend to see what all the fuss is about.

Well you could've knocked me down with a feather! It's nearly all gone!! The homes of many of my childhood friends simply don't exist anymore.

From the 49 stop on Wordsworth (between Buchanan and Deerlands) you can see right through to Parson Cross Park. Unbelievable! And Buchanan Crescent is down to the last few houses too. As you drive up towards Longley Park the unfolding scene is mesmerising. You keep thinking, "It can't get any stranger" - but it does. It must be a bit like seeing a familiar town after it has been war ravaged. buildings missing here and there. I certainly wasn't prepared for it.

What's gonna happen to all the new bits of wasteland they've created? Is there a Master Plan???

What's gonna happen to all the new bits of wasteland they've created? Is there a Master Plan???

They will build ''affordable houses and green spaces.''

Action Plan

A recent planning application to demolish the Shiregreen Hotel and build 22 houses and 22 apartments on the site jogged a few memories for me.

Many youths from The Cross would trek down to the Shiregreen Hotel in the late sixties and early seventies as it was the only 'local' place to see live bands playing. It was filled to the rafters on most nights and many first time romances started in that place.

The fizzy Double Diamond didn't ''work wonders'' for me, (as the TV adverts of the time proclaimed) it invariably left me feeling like a bloated pig...

... but I loved every minute of it.

Fond memories of wild times.