Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

The fact that a family of six working people pay exactly the same.

A family of 6 working people? On the Cross?? You've gorra be jokin'. If such a family exists then I've never come across them. Two or three max. 6? Not a chance!!

A family of 6 working people? On the Cross?? You've gorra be jokin'. If such a family exists then I've never come across them. Two or three max. 6? Not a chance!!

Shhhhhhhhhh !!!

I need to exaggerate to emphasize my moan.

Went through Southey on the 20A bus for the first time in years the other day. Passed the old Ritz/David's Place Bingo Hall which is now closed. The building looks like it is from a Baghdad high street.

Whats with the Southey Green Bus Interchange! It's just a couple of bus shelters!

Shhhhhhhhhh !!!

I need to exaggerate to emphasize my moan.

OK - Fair one

Went through Southey on the 20A bus for the first time in years the other day. Passed the old Ritz/David's Place Bingo Hall which is now closed. The building looks like it is from a Baghdad high street.

THE RITZ

Planning consent for residential development was granted on 17th July 2002.

Sold for £108,000 on 21st January 2003.

You'll probably have to put up with the eyesore until the value increases.

I was born on Holgate Avenue in 1960, I lived there until I was 21 and left for another part of the city, but in 1990 I moved back to The Cross with my disabled son and lived on Wordsworth Avenue across from the petrol station. He died in 2001 and a few months later I moved to Leicestershire and I`ve been here ever since. Where I am now is posh when compared to The Cross and in the countryside, but I still miss The Cross and the people there.

I was born on Holgate Avenue in 1960, I lived there until I was 21 and left for another part of the city, but in 1990 I moved back to The Cross with my disabled son and lived on Wordsworth Avenue across from the petrol station. He died in 2001 and a few months later I moved to Leicestershire and I`ve been here ever since. Where I am now is posh when compared to The Cross and in the countryside, but I still miss The Cross and the people there.

Some people say that there's only one way off The Cross - upwards.

But The Cross was a god send for most people who moved there in 1947.

I used to go in the tankard and griffin pub but was only 16 at time.

My old teenage stomping ground too. Trevor and Stell had the Tankard, with Jean Plant helping out, whilst Jean and Al had the Griffin.

The Black Bull and White Bear were ''for old men'' so we would sometimes go over to the Ball Inn run by Maud and her husband whose name I 4got. The Ball still had an air raid shelter outside and an outside men's toilet that stunk to high heaven.

If you ever pass it today, it's hard to imagine that the little slip road leading to the Ball and Greyhound was once the actual High Street where double decker busses would pass just inches away from Summertime drinkers standing outside, specially if The Ball had the fair round the back.

I have some fantastic happy memories of those times.

Some people say that there's only one way off The Cross - upwards.

But The Cross was a god send for most people who moved there in 1947.

My parents moved to Holgate in 1938 or thereabouts from the slums in Attercliffe so it was a definate move up for them, they loved the area and for a long time it was classed as a posh estate, and even in the 80s when I was living in Hillsborough a lot of people there were convinced that The Cross was a nice, decent place to live- which in many ways it was. I certainly loved it there, the only bad thing about it was the occasional rough-arsed family who gave the area a bad name, and thats the same for places all over the world. I miss living there and I think I always will. I have some great memories of the place and people.

My old teenage stomping ground too. Trevor and Stell had the Tankard, with Jean Plant helping out, whilst Jean and Al had the Griffin.

The Black Bull and White Bear were ''for old men'' so we would sometimes go over to the Ball Inn run by Maud and her husband whose name I 4got.

Maud and Arthur, they always reminded me of Annie and Jack walker from Coronation Street.

Maud and Arthur, they always reminded me of Annie and Jack Walker from Coronation Street.

That's it - old Arthur - a great bloke.

They went cruising with P&O a few times - must have made a bob or two with those old hand pumps they used to wrestle with to serve up a pint.

My parents moved to Holgate in 1938 or thereabouts from the slums in Attercliffe so it was a definate move up for them.

I never realised that Holgate was part of ''Old Parson Cross'' (built pre-war).

I know that the houses around the Wordsworth Tavern were built post-war and called ''New Parson Cross''. Many families moved into their brand new homes in November of 1947 - probably the worst Winter on record.