Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

My Son..who plays in a band..went to Sheffield yesterday to Play a gig at Colley WMC..He was not impressed with the area around the club at all..What with derilict burned out buildings..

Chav's and graffity by the Ton..He says he was the only bloke in the area not wearing a baseball cap..But he says the Club was nice inside..Not at all the place I remember.

Does anybody know of a family on Parsons Cross, Housley is the surname, John eldest son this is in the 60`s he played football and cricket for local teams, he had a friend Alan who married Lynn think he lived on Sisey ave not quite sure thats right.

House demolition has created jobs.

Workmen are now walking over the derelict sites - litter picking.

Originally posted by Timbuck

My Son..who plays in a band..went to Sheffield yesterday to Play a gig at Colley WMC..He was not impressed with the area around the club at all..What with derilict burned out buildings..

Chav's and graffity by the Ton..He says he was the only bloke in the area not wearing a baseball cap..But he says the Club was nice inside..Not at all the place I remember.

Good isnt it, you wear a baseball cap and your a "Chav" could you please explain to me what a CHAV is or supposed to look like?? as i wear a baseball cap, and live on the cross, near colley wmc, but i dont regard myself as a chav?? or are you the type of "normal" person that see's a individual and turns them into the "majority"???

normal people worry me.........................:suspect:

we really enjoyed our self at deerlands home

and would like to come back sometime

would like to thanks all the staff for there help and to all the people we spoke to thanks for the time they give us and to all our friends we made tell then we will come and see then

Remember half day closing ?

Twas a Thursday it twas.

Margetson, Wheta and Buchanan shops were like ghost towns after 1pm.

Even Doctor Bagon down by The Ritz had no surgery on Thursday evening.

Margetson Chip'oil used to only open two or three times a week in the late 60s, and instead of having a steady trickle of fresh chips, they used to wait until they ran out, then Mrs Lee would shout "More Chips!!"

At this point they would get the chipper out and begin the process of making some fresh. The tatties were poured in at one end, and as the machine kicked into life, sounding a bit like a Francis Barnett, something resembling a pile of albino slugs would slowly emerge from the other end and drop into a yellow bucket. Eventually, enough of these were produced to justify dropping them into the sizzling friar, kicking out enough steam to power a small train.

Of course, by this time the queue was nearly round to the Tavern, and kids were keeling over from starvation. The priest had to come over from Tommy More's and administer Last Orders to some of 'em.

Mind you, when the chips did eventually come, they were the best for miles around. (and Mrs Lee used to give me extra scraps 'cause she knew my mum). I used to soak 'em in vinegar, and they were that hot that I had to blow on 'em or they would burn my tongue

Originally posted by Unregistered

Twas a Thursday it twas.

Margetson, Wheta and Buchanan shops were like ghost towns after 1pm.

Even Doctor Bagon down by The Ritz had no surgery on Thursday evening.

My dad used to own the hardware shop on Margetson,which is where I grew up, and the half day closing on Thursday was to allow him to go to the warehouses/cash& carry to re-stock. In those days, there was no such thing as a delivery lorry.

I also remember the Lee's at the chip shop on Margetson - I used to play with the 2 sons, one of whom was called Martin but unfortunately I can't remember what the elder one was called but he was profoundly deaf. The only other kids on the shops were Jayne & Robert Hulley, whose parents used to run the butchers.

Originally posted by Unregistered

Twas a Thursday it twas.

And of course the Co-op (or "Stores" as we used to call it) also used to close at lunchtime on Saturdays, which I could never understand.

Bushbaby, Pete Howe was my mate in the 70s. We once spent a night in the cells together for drunk and disorderly. As you probably know, in those days it was a chargeable offence to drunkenly stagger in the street. The bingeheads of today would never be out of court if the same applied today. Pete's most famous composition was a song called "King of the Saucepans". Brilliant. He played guitar and piano.

Is he still alive? Anyone know?

Yes, he is.

I recently received an email from his nephew (Ken's son) who tells me that Pete now lives at the end of Wordsworth (not sure which end though) and is still as outrageous as ever.

Excellent, Bushbaby. Thanks for that good news. I was afraid Pete might have succumbed to the excesses of our youth.