Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

When the Cross is no more we will still have our memories and mine are from about 1948 at Fox Hill until I left Meynell in 1954, The sliding down Backedge on bits of cardboard and climbing the wall at the asylum to get at the apples (remember mad John?) Walking across the cornfield and coming out the other side with the police waiting. At lunch time at Meynell Joe Dams and I used to head off to some farm and get crab apples from a tree inside a pig sty. I`m in Australia now and still enjoy thinking back to those times. By the way got your email Steve,thanks.

yep,i know what its like,my ma died last october,so my last remaining links with buchanan are gone,my grandma,s house has gone,a lot of the houses i visited in my work are gone,these places as we knew em aren,t coming back,i have in my possession some old 8mm cine film of when we were kids,id love to get it put on dvd,any ideas how/where i can get this done????

My mum had a cine film put onto a video a few years ago at Jessops on Comercial Street in town.

Not sure if they could help you.

Might be worth a try.

we all ought to meet up and have a pint or 2 in the old cross or tavern before they go too.

Grand idea

We'd all need Tshirts with our "Handles" on or no one would know anyone else

Who's gonna suggest a date?

Here Here mate,our lass don't understand the affection for what she sees as a dump and s***hole. my mum and dad still live in the house that I was brought up in, it seems to be missing the dozer at this moment in time but who knows what the future holds, it will be a sad day when all child hood memories will be extinguished for real.

abssolutly agree foxy

I saw the youtube vids and they were great.

Its sad though, theres a lot of memories being flattened there and even though I havent lived there since I was about 20, I still dread the day when I learn that the house I was born and brought up in on Holgate avenue is going to be demolished.

it will be a very sad day when parents old house comes down,but it would be great if all parson cross forum users could meet up and swap stories,like bushbaby said we all ought to make a time when we could have a few beers in maybe tavern or px hotel

They hated the fishcakes but both became addicted to Relish after Id finished with them :D

How dare they diss the Sheffield Fishcake !!!

...I suppose they were brought up on the cissy pasty rissoles that outsiders call fishcakes.

(Mind you, sometimes I would prize apart the slices of spud and find that most of the 'fish' had swam away.)

it will be a very sad day when parents old house comes down,but it would be great if all parson cross forum users could meet up and swap stories,like bushbaby said we all ought to make a time when we could have a few beers in maybe tavern or px hotel

Id love to go to a Parson cross meet, I havent been in the tavern or the cross since around 1981 and there are tons of people Id like to meet again. Trouble is Im in North Leicestershire now and I only get up to Sheffield about once every couple of years.

One of the Leicester lads I took up there is now so addicted to Relish that he nagged his local Morrisons to stock it and they did, for about three months but stopped after they realised that he was the only one buying it.

He phoned me up in a panic about a month ago and we`ve planned a "Relish Run" up to Sheffield to get stock in, which is handy for me because Im down to a teaspoonful now.

How dare they diss the Sheffield Fishcake !!!

...I suppose they were brought up on the cissy pasty rissoles that outsiders call fishcakes.

(Mind you, sometimes I would prize apart the slices of spud and find that most of the 'fish' had swam away.)

I have a pic on the computer somewhere and Ill try to find it, of one of them looking at a fishcake as if it just dropped out of a dogs rear end. He.... and this is where it gets a bit confusing, but the things we call "Rissoles" in Sheffield are what they call fishcakes in Leicester- they cant even pronounce the word "Rissole" there, they say "Rizzle."

Ive had no end of rows with chippy staff on drunken nights when Ive staggered into chippys and asked for `A bag of chips and a fishcake please`, only to be confronted with a rissole.

Ive patiently tried to describe a fishcake to them and even offered to wait while they made me one but Im afraid the concept is utterly beyond these midlanders.

Grand idea

We'd all need Tshirts with our "Handles" on or no one would know anyone else

Who's gonna suggest a date?

whenever as work is quite flexible but would like to meet up with a few people off forum to discuss stories which i guess would be really interesting

yep,i know what its like,my ma died last october,so my last remaining links with buchanan are gone,my grandma,s house has gone,a lot of the houses i visited in my work are gone,these places as we knew em aren,t coming back,i have in my possession some old 8mm cine film of when we were kids,id love to get it put on dvd,any ideas how/where i can get this done????

I have a mate who can do it with video I will have to ask him if he can do it with 8mm, but if you look in the yellow pages there are people that can do it, at a price obviously.

I have a mate who can do it with video I will have to ask him if he can do it with 8mm, but if you look in the yellow pages there are people that can do it, at a price obviously.

the price is immaterial mate,they are all i have left of my childhood,real moving pictures of me with hair,my parents young and vibrant,the parson cross estate and the people on it in happier,more innocent times.....we all have each others pms,so we have no excuse for not doing this meet up,or 1 day we will be posting to hear if anyone has heard of"old so & so,s sad demise",then saying"we never did do that meet up" lets get it arranged lads,we can do it. just 1 question, blokes only,or other halfs as well??? the wifes from killamarsh,and doesn,t believe half of what i told her about past "happenings" on the cross.