Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

People off Tunwell often said that they lived in Ecclesfield...Little bit of snobbery I guess

Did Martin wear glasses?

Yep that sounds like him - I remember him as a bright kid. Today he'd be called a geek I reckon.

I don't remember Janet, but I did know Tracey Senior. Her older brother Steve (we called him "Senna") was one of my closest friends as a young child. Last I heard he was living near The Ritz

pete howe is alive & still kicking

Great news indeed!! Certainly one of the most colourful people I ever knew, and a truly gifted guitarist in the days when they were very rare.

His mum and dad were great. Always had a smile and and a tanner. They had a cat with odd coloured eyes. We used to rake a shortcut through their garden to Elaine Brown's house on Deerlands Close when they lived on Wordsworth.

anyway bushbaby ows wriggo,deso,steve(tak)siddall,jinks,monty,tetsy,baba,manx,tommy glaves ? i woz with u on your 40th or 30th or even 20th ,birthday bash in the beagle i know it was,nt your 10th joe would,nt let us in.guess who mate ?

People off Tunwell often said that they lived in Ecclesfield...Little bit of snobbery I guess

You are right B Baby, I did have ,and still have an upward mobile attitude, besides we shopped at Ecclesfield, played footy in Ecclesfield park, and married a lass from the grammer school. Still I do remember that my adress was Parsons Cross and if I were to forget, the wife reminds me.!!

I've just remembered a trick our window cleaner used to do in the 50s. I grew up on Milnrow road Parson Cross, when the window cleaner filled his bucket he would entertain us. This is what he did, he'd swing the full bucket in a complete circle several times, and never spilled a drop. Needless to say one day I decided to try it, I actually succeeded. Then one day the buckets wire handle jammed, yes you guessed it I got drenched!

Does anyone remember this window cleaner, and did he do this trick for you?

anyway bushbaby .guess who mate ?

It was definitely my 40th. I'd just got back from serving in the Gulf War (the first one, which we actually won)

The landlord that night was Pella (Tony Pellegrina) who sadly died a couple of years ago

That was a great night. A fantastic reunion for me on two fronts. All my family were there and most of my childhood buddies came along too. It was the most Stantons ever seen in one place. We supped some ale that Night. Pella even laid on some free sarnies.The one person missing was Bungi. I did invite him but he wasn't able to make it.

Anyway Charley999, I've not gorra clue who you are????

I used to live on Fulmere Crescent at the little roundabout end. Our near neighbours around that end were the Stantons, Sykes, Hughes, Bessons, Satathwaites, some last names I forget but it was a happy street. We used to play football on the big island on Fulmere Crescent just about every day. Sometimes I remember there were about 20 a side. In fact there used to be a kid a lot older than me who lived around the big island called Albert Holmes who played regularly for Chesterfield for a number of years.Then there were the Jacksons Richard and Tommy (who sadly is no longer with us) Paul and Kev Cross ,Steve Salt, Ronnie, Steve,Keith Sykes, not forgetting one of my best pals who lived on Chaucer Jeff Kurley.Sorry if I`ve missed others out but my memory isn`t what it used to be.

I have good memories of Bonfire Night around the crescent. it was always a competition between the Glaves and Stantons as to who had the biggest bonfire. We daren`t build it too early for fear of sabotage by the others and then when we did build it, usually about 1 day before the big night we fired rockets at one anothers fire to try and set it alight.All the near neighbours came on the night bearing food and toffee apples and of course a Standard Fireworks box of, in my opinion, unbeatable fireworks (tongue in cheek). My mother always made a massive slab of Parkin and a huge tin of Bonfire Toffee for the kids. I remember one year my younger brother lighting a Jumping Jack and throwing it in the kitchen which was full of women . He was only about 9 at the time. After a few years we gave up the rivalry and went to the Stantons fire cos they always seemed to have more wood than us and they had a brick air raid shelter at the bottom of their garden which was good to hide in.

Oh Happy Days indeed

For many years dad suffered from a duodenal ulcer and once a week he used to give me money and send me to Kaddish's on Margetson Road to buy a tin of something that was called Slippery Elm which was I believe a food supplement for those with his condition. That was an errand I loathed and dreaded because every time I asked for the product it would come out of my mouth as Slippery Elum which reduced the two girls behind the counter to hysterics.

Sounds silly now but to an eleven year old this was something to seriously worry and grieve about.

...And his brother Derek was World Leg Cricket Champion. He was once "in" for a whole week!!

I just noticed this post and yes I am that world champion.I think that record still stands heh heh. What a great thread this is by the way its bringing bucketfulls of memories back for me. I just wish I had Bushbaby`s memory on things past though.

One thing I do remember is walking from our house through Mrs Wilcox`s (think that was her name)garden and straight into Bushbaby`s house because their door was always open to everybody and I always got a warm welcome from his family.

One thing I do remember is walking from our house through Mrs Wilcox`s (think that was her name) garden

It was Mrs Wilcockson

Believe it or not she was Jinks' gran!