Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Hi Harleyman I'm afraid I don't remember anyone called Isaac, we lived at No25 opposite that corn field that used to be there. Our house was a semi the adjoining neighbours house 'Atkins' was actually on Milnrow Drive. the neighbours next door on Milnrow Rd in a 4 block were the Ellis' at 27, do you picture our house now?

I do remember a family being evicted up the drive, they couldn't get away with anything like that now (the council) what happened to these poor families if relatives or friends didn't take them in, I wonder.

Yes Joto know the houses you're talking about. Used to walk across that corn field to get the 110 bus which went up Sheffield Lane Top. Does the name Dewhurst ring a bell? There was a girl lived along there used to go to our school. Possibly her first name might have been Colleen but far from sure on that. Talking about your dad and the painting episode our dad used to get in a really foul mood when he had to do any painting in the house.

We had a burst pipe at about two in the morning one time. The builders never bothered to wrap them with insulation so when the weather was freezing it was "call the plumbers" time. Had one of our bedrooms flooded out and water running out on the landing. There were two fireplaces in our house, One in the living room and the other in a bedroom upstairs and that was it. Not even an electric wall heater. How did we ever live in those ice boxes? We must have all been as tough and as hard as nails

Yes the name Dewhurst does ring a bell, but that's all it does I'm afraid. My Dad actually liked painting and decorating, but just didn't like being told to do anything, especially by the council. His main interest was tinkering in the garage with his car, when he tried his hand at fixing electric stuff, you put the switch to off for on, and vice versa :hihi: And not to mention going in the attic to fix the aeriel on our roof, he came through the bedroom ceiling at least three times!

Do you remember whenever we had a hot summer we would get tiny red mites on the ceiling? or was that just our house :suspect:

In winter if we were sick Mam or Dad used to carry red hot coals on a shovel from the living room and place it in the bedroom fireplace. That's the only time we were treated to a fire in the bedroom. Yes I remember how cold it was, pot hot water bottles and all, also jack frost drawing lovely patterns on the inside of our bedroom window.

What was the name of your neighbor to the right as you looked out facing Wordsworth.

I seem to remember the daughter was married to an Irishman name of Mick ?,used to have a business renting out washing machines by the hour

The Son-in-Law was Mick O'Kane, a Londonderry man. He and Joyce ended up living at the other end of Milnrow Rd, near Margetson Rd. They had two kids, Kevin (be about 60 now) and Lynn (two years younger). Mick went in The Tavern most nights. His strong Londonderry accent never weakened - it was always difficult to tell a word he was saying. Lovely guy.

The two Frosts I remember were Keith and David and the Platt boy was named Barry.

Barry Platt married Christine Mills off Wordsworth (413?)

When he was doing his National Service she was speaking to him on the phone from our house.

Halfway through the conversation she turned my Dad and said "Barry's fainted, what shall I do?"

"Where is he?" My dad asked, thinking he could jump in the car and go and find him

"In a railway station in Moenchengladbach" was Christine's reply

My dad didn't go and get him

yes i did graham now lives up handsworth and brenda is in sheffield i remember the gill bros it was the house next door not 2 up as you look out of the front door next door was a irish man mick orkain

Two up from Baldass was the Lee family. Pete would have been born about 1947. They also had a daughter (can't think of the name) and a younger lad, Martin, born 1957.

Mrs Lee worked at the Chipoil on Margo for many a year

The most famous member of the family was the dog "Bengo". He was a kind of communal dog and would follow anybody around. If you didn't have your own dog (and we didn't) Bengo could be yours for a day, or at least until he got hungry

Hi again baldass. Next door to them lived the Turton family. I was pals with the son also.

Turtons were replaced by Whittakers in the late 50s.

Ian was a friend of mine, a year older than me. Suffered from a badly curved spine, and always wore a type of upper body cage to keep him erect. He played football, climbed trees and rode bikes just like all the other kids.

When he as 16 and had finished his GCSE's, he went into Northern General for surgery to try and fix it, and died during the operation

One of the very saddest days of my childhood

The Son-in-Law was Mick O'Kane, a Londonderry man. He and Joyce ended up living at the other end of Milnrow Rd, near Margetson Rd. They had two kids, Kevin (be about 60 now) and Lynn (two years younger). Mick went in The Tavern most nights. His strong Londonderry accent never weakened - it was always difficult to tell a word he was saying. Lovely guy.

Thanks Bushbaby for filling me in on Mick O'kane.

You were correct about mills living at 413.

When I used to do the shopping for my mother i would also go for Mrs Mills.

I still remember their Co-op number. I use it as one of my many passwords

I still remember their Co-op number. I use it as one of my many passwords

Ours was 31010

Two up from Baldass was the Lee family. Pete would have been born about 1947. They also had a daughter (can't think of the name) and a younger lad, Martin, born 1957.

Mrs Lee worked at the Chipoil on Margo for many a year

The most famous member of the family was the dog "Bengo". He was a kind of communal dog and would follow anybody around. If you didn't have your own dog (and we didn't) Bengo could be yours for a day, or at least until he got hungry

hi bushbaby

the name of the lee daughter was ann last i herd of them they all live in nottingham an can you remember bengos trick on sundays he would wate untill the sunday joint was done and left out to rest people in them days would and could leave the back door open and bengo would nip in and nick the joint of beef :banana:

hi bushbaby

can you remember bengos trick on sundays he would wate untill the sunday joint was done and left out to rest people in them days would and could leave the back door open and bengo would nip in and nick the joint of beef :banana:

Yeah I'd forgotten that. He once did it to Mrs Cork. She went barmy!!

he also did it with Mrs baldwin but it was a big leg of lamb

hi bushbaby

tcan you remember bengos trick on sundays he would wate untill the sunday joint was done and left out to rest people in them days would and could leave the back door open and bengo would nip in and nick the joint of beef :banana:

Bengo if I remember rightly was blessed with a rather noticeable scrotum and my future father in law hated him with a remarkable ferocity. whether this was jealousy I am not sure, but catching Bengo in the back garden he went to wallop him with a broom handle but forgot about the clothes line which halted his downward whacking and nearly broke his wrist! there were some great football games on the spare land on sunday mornings.