Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Originally posted by Alanbro

We used to go to the youth club at the corner of Wordsworth Avenue and Remington Road. A travelling fair used to visit this site, which we enjoyed immensely.

I went to Ecclesfield Secondary Modern School at the time and they used to have a fair at the side of the school towards Wordsworth Avenue.

I remember going to the fair in my new 'teddy boy' petrol blue drapes and crepes. I thought I was Jack the Lad!

We moved to Colley Crescent when I was fifteen and I bought a motorbike when I was eighteen. It was a Matchless 250 with a Red and white petrol tank and it was quite heavy to handle.

No offence Alanbro but I think you may have been a little before my time - but I also went to a youth club on Wordsworth it was called The Tanner Hop, mid/late sixties -I also remember the Fair, it was on the spare ground just down from the Wordsworth Tavern and the one in Ecclesfield used to be at the side of the Ball Inn.

I notice you are from Rother Valley, I used to live over there when it was called Brookhouse, not far from the colliery....happy days.

I used to deliver newspapers on Milnrow Rd and Wordsworth Ave .This would be 1953.

Originally posted by twinky1

I always thought it was at the end of Colley Road, where the P.Office is.

Post code S5 includes Parson Cross - S35 includes Ecclesfield and I think anything past the post office (not behind it) is S35.

Unless anyone else knows different!!

Seems correct ! - I wonder if S5 is the most densely populated Sheffield postcode. It was all fields in 1937 - from the Five Arches to Ecclesfield, the full length of what now is Wordsworth Avenue.

The OLD Wordsworth Tavern (pre 1966)

What a dive.

I bet no one has a photo.

Originally posted by Unregistered

Seems correct ! - I wonder if S5 is the most densely populated Sheffield postcode. It was all fields in 1937 - from the Five Arches to Ecclesfield, the full length of what now is Wordsworth Avenue.

It may well be - it not only takes in the Five Arches to Ecclesfield it also includes Shiregreen and I think Firth Park.

As for The Tavern, I have no photo's but I do remember it well, it used to be my Dads local.

My friends and I used to come from the youth club and hang about the Tavern off licence - can you remember John,( he had Downs Syndrome) he used to help out on the counter?.

Was it 1966 when it was knocked down? I thought it was later.

To Twinky 1

Dean Marshall and the Deputies started life at the Tanner Hop as you call it. They went on to become Jigsaw.

Originally posted by Alanbro

To Twinky 1

Dean Marshall and the Deputies started life at the Tanner Hop as you call it. They went on to become Jigsaw.

Jigsaw seems to be a memory from my dim and distant past, canyou remember the other band members names?

What other name did the Tanner Hop have (if any) ?

As for the Wordsworth Tavern, I have no photo's but I do remember it well, it used to be my Dads local.

My friends and I used to come from the youth club and hang about the Tavern off licence - can you remember John, (he had Downs Syndrome) he used to help out on the counter?

Was it 1966 when it was knocked down? I thought it was later.

Yes I remember John - I think his mother worked there too.

You're right, the Wordsworth Tavern was knocked down later than 1966. I just know that it was definately still standing in that landmark year, due to the World Cup. It may have come down in 1968 but both pubs were standing alongside each other for a short period.

I only knew the Tanner Hop by that name although I never actually went. I seem to remember going to Youth Clubs at Monteney, Colley and Meynall Schools at various times, followed by that horrid ''in between period of limbo'' when you are ''too old'' for Youth Clubs and ''too young'' to get in a boozer with any confidence. We probably hung around Margetson Shops, bored stiff and being a nuisance - not much different from kids of today, although we did have The Ritz cinema on Saturday mornings!

Probably the first ''underage'' pub we got in was the Ball Inn at Ecclesfield. Old Arthur and Maud Smith never asked our age and it was a case of ''out of sight - out of mind'' in the back room. We then progressed to the Tankard (now the Stocks) run by Trevor who never spent a dime on the place but we loved the jukebox.

The Griffin was also on the go (now closed) with toilets plumbed in by numerous bits and pieces of plastic fittings that the Landlord had obviously nicked from the Public Works Department at the rear of Margetson shops, where he also worked!

In the early 70's the place to be was the Shiregreen Hotel with live bands on Friday and Saturdays. The place was just heaving with people. The greedy brewery ruined it by obtaining a late night extension. The neighbours were plagued by late night noise and got the licence removed - it was never the same again after that.

I'm sure the Tavern is still standing - pity the rest of the estate is not.

Originally posted by Internetowl

I'm sure the Tavern is still standing - pity the rest of the estate is not.

Maybe the Right To Buy council housing is to blame.

People bought all the decent houses - leaving all the rubbish housing behind to deteriorate even faster.

I lived at shiregreen in 66 onwards and remember quite a few characters from the cross area as we spent most of our time there.

there was a man who everybody ran away from called arnie

he was probably very sweet but because he was a bit different

the kids were scared of him. poor arnie.

Also well known large families -kerrigans, staniland's, crookes ,sutherlands, wilsons, were around at that time.

We also went to colley youth club-69 to 70 ish.

And we had a lot of friends who went to colley school.

- graham daggert, mick peacock,malc young, john brice- i think.

and someone nicknamed hoof.

anyone know these.

Also one of my relatives lived near tavern i think, he was called Alf and only had one leg.

Jigsaw seems to be a memory from my dim and distant past, canyou remember the other band members names?

What other name did the Tanner Hop have (if any) ?

I don't remember the youth club having any other name. I think they may have called it Colley Youth Club when I went there.

I was 16 in 1958, so it is probably a bit before your time.

Barry Marshall was the real name of Dean, but I don't remember any other names of the rest of the band.

How old would you be in 1958, twinky 1, if you don't mind me asking?