Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

it`s about time befor they fall down

It's where Jinks used to live, so I'm surprised they haven't already!!

jinks wow! the last time i saw him was in a pub at the top of droppingwell lane

with his girlfriend and guess what her father owned the pub ,:partyhat:

bring back the old cross and the good people that used to live there it will never be the same again like [ sam the tramp ] [tabhunter] [stan @ ron] [oat cake man] bring back the RAG MAN always remember his call of-ric of-ric! of-ric

There used to be another van called Marigold.

Fletchers Bakeries were bought out by Northern Foods in 1999. Nowadays they mainly produce bakery products that you see with Tesco and Sainsbury wrappers. They operate a fleet of 30 articulated trucks from Claywheels Lane and employ about 600 local people, many from Parson Cross.

Gunstones Bakery at Dronfield and Binghams Cooked Meats at Crookes are now sister companies in the same Northern Foods group.

Yes, I remember Alfs, and Marigolds.... Living on Holgate, I was often sent on an errand, by my Mum, across the field when we heard them on Deerlands. I must say that both were easy to run after and catch up, if you just missed them, but you had to be quick to catch the Fletchers vans, they zoomed around. Can anyone remember the bread man, Horis, in the Ford Transit van, I think there were several different ones, but I seem to remember the white one most. I think he lived on Yew Lane.....

Can anyone remember going to the ' Dick Clinic ' on Broughton Road at Owlerton to have White Ointment rubbed into your hair that killed the head lice?

After catching the bus on Penistone Road, from the smell of the ointment, everyone on the 110 or 49 Bus knew where you had been. But because you knew that all the head lice had been killed, you were actually proud, because you knew that it wasn't you how carried the Dicks around school!!

Can anyone remember the bread man, Horis, in the Ford Transit van, I think there were several different ones, but I seem to remember the white one most. I think he lived on Yew Lane.....

Yes, Horrace Ratcliffe flogged Mothers Pride bread from a white Ford Transit for several years around the 1960's. Actually, he was a licenced money lender too. He later had a business at Burdall's Buildings (now Morrisons Hillsborough) that made concrete ornaments.

He moved from his bungalow on Yew Lane to a large house on The Wheel at Ecclesfield. Sadly he died several years ago.

Yes, Horrace Ratcliffe flogged Mothers Pride bread from a white Ford Transit for several years around the 1960's. Actually, he was a licenced money lender too. He moved from his bungalow on Yew Lane to a large house on The Wheel at Ecclesfield. QUOTE]

I recall that he had four very lovely daughters. The one my age was called Sheree (apolgies if spelt wrong)

His "Bungalow" on Yew Lane was a beautiful building, quite luxurious with a small pool, and was named "Shereelee Samrina" incorporating the names of his four girls.

He was a bit of a cowboy though, in the nicest of ways

It's amazing what daft things you remember isn't it?

jinks wow! the last time i saw him was in a pub at the top of droppingwell lane

Last time I saw him Dave was on page 6 of The Star, after getting charged with a minor offence in Carlisle.

I think he lives at Greno now, somewhere near Main Rd

Him and Wriggo used to argue every Saturday night, about which restaraunt to go to, Indian or Chinese? After a heated arguement they would settle on one, go in, and then they would both order a "Mixed Grill"

Last time I saw him Dave was on page 6 of The Star, after getting charged with a minor offence in Carlisle.

I think he lives at Greno now, somewhere near Main Rd

Him and Wriggo used to argue every Saturday night, about which restaraunt to go to, Indian or Chinese? After a heated arguement they would settle on one, go in, and then they would both order a "Mixed Grill"

horrace ratcliffe can you remember the five by four carpet he had on his head THE WIG :headbang:

horrace ratcliffe can you remember the five by four carpet he had on his head THE WIG :headbang:

Yeah, it looked like Three Shredded Wheat!!

I visited 77 Holgate Crescent today to take photographs of where I spent my teen age years. I noted that my old home has been bought and space for two cars are in front garden.

My old school ' Colley Sec Mod ' is now gone. What's going to be built their now? and which school do the children now go to?

Monteney then either Chaucer or Yewlands I think.

and which school do the children now go to?

I think the sad truth is that there are now many fewer kids around, and they therfore need fewer schools, although it's always sad to see your own school gone (although with my school, I would happily have driven the big crane with a conker on it, if I'd had half a chance!!)

Growin' up in the fifities and sixties Albert, many families, as you will recall, had 7, 8 or even nine kids,(one family near us had so many kids they'd lost count, and you could never get them all to stand still long enough to count 'em) whereas today, 2 or 3 is the norm, and there are more couples staying childless

In 1964, Parson Cross had 10,000 houses and 40,000 people. I'd be interested to see what the figure is today