Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Never lived in Parsons Cross but what an estate! Do you all realise that the estate has had 23,117 views and 410 replies? Statistically, this implies that 23,117 former residents own PCs and 410 of them are still interested in the estate to reply! It beats the tunnels under Sheffield by a few thousand! Good on yer, Parsons Cross! However, schools and education beat it by almost 100 per cent! Pity most of those former schoolkids never learned how to write English!

You can not blame the former pupils for not learning how to write English.

In my formative years from the age of 8 to 11. I attended Three different schools and was not taught to link words up until I was 12 years old. I sat my Eleven Plus unable to write only print the answers.

At 14 years I left school. It was from then on my education really started.

You can not blame the pupil if the instructor is not able to do the job.

I Have Lived On The Cross Since 1950 Had To Go To Grenoside School ,mr Roper Was The Class Teacher,mr Parrot Headmaster He Lived On The Wheel,went On To Junior School In Ecclesfield,from There To Colley,we Used To Have A Gala Day At Grenoside In The Park.i Can Remember A Boy Called Patrick Dooley Being Hit By The Seat Of A Swing,we All Thought He Was Playing The Fool But To Our Horror He Was Dead,he Lived On Margetson Drive,then About 1955 Or 1956.when I Was A Pupil At Colley In January It Was Snowing The Ground Was Already Covered In Snow We Were In Gang Of About 7,when We Decided Tho Have A Swing On The Big Gates Thet Lead Dowm To The Back Of The Gym 3of Us Were On The Gate And John Was Stood Up Against The Brick Pillow That Supported The Gate.allof A Udden The Wall Started To Move We All Ran Petrified We Broken The Wall,we Went Back When We Realised John Was Not With Us,he Was Under The Wall As Young As We Were We Knew He Was Dead.,we Went Down To The Gym Evening Class In Progress,the P,e Teacher Mr Wright Sat Us Down Sent For Ambulance And Police,gave Us A Drink Of Some Foul Blue Liquid And Then Sent Us Home To Walk.no Lifts,how Times Have Changed No Counselling Nothing We Just Had To Get On With Life Went To School Next Day,i,am Glad Things Are More Sympathetic Now To People Who Witness Sad Events

I Have Lived On The Cross Since 1950 Had To Go To Grenoside School ,mr Roper Was The Class Teacher,mr Parrot Headmaster He Lived On The Wheel,went On To Junior School In Ecclesfield,from There To Colley,we Used To Have A Gala Day At Grenoside In The Park.i Can Remember A Boy Called Patrick Dooley Being Hit By The Seat Of A Swing,we All Thought He Was Playing The Fool But To Our Horror He Was Dead,he Lived On Margetson Drive,then About 1955 Or 1956.when I Was A Pupil At Colley In January It Was Snowing The Ground Was Already Covered In Snow We Were In Gang Of About 7,when We Decided Tho Have A Swing On The Big Gates Thet Lead Dowm To The Back Of The Gym 3of Us Were On The Gate And John Was Stood Up Against The Brick Pillow That Supported The Gate.allof A Udden The Wall Started To Move We All Ran Petrified We Broken The Wall,we Went Back When We Realised John Was Not With Us,he Was Under The Wall As Young As We Were We Knew He Was Dead.,we Went Down To The Gym Evening Class In Progress,the P,e Teacher Mr Wright Sat Us Down Sent For Ambulance And Police,gave Us A Drink Of Some Foul Blue Liquid And Then Sent Us Home To Walk.no Lifts,how Times Have Changed No Counselling Nothing We Just Had To Get On With Life Went To School Next Day,i,am Glad Things Are More Sympathetic Now To People Who Witness Sad Events

thanks for story polyann

although i grew up in the seventies, i can remember similar events like this and how it was dealt with so differently back then

I,we Used To Have A Gala Day At Grenoside In The Park.

Pollyann, this is from an earlier post I did about those gala days, though mine were in the 60s

I was recently reminded of an annual event which had long since faded to the dark recesses of my mind.

From the ages of about 8 to 10, I was a member of our school’s (Tommy More’s) country dancing team.

In the early spring we would start rehearsing. We would traipse into the school hall every Tuesday morning, the girls a little more eagerly than the boys, and line up so that “Miss” could size us off, a bit like they do in the army. We would form into two rows, the girls in front, the boys standing gingerly behind. Whichever girl stood directly in front of you, was your partner, at least for that session. This was a traumatic moment. If it was the right girl you were walking on clouds for the next few hours, smiling like a goon. The wrong girl and – Oh dear, you were the subject of your mates’ mickey taking for the rest of that day and beyond.

For the initial sessions, the school’s music teacher played the piano as accompaniment, clanking away an a slightly out of tune Kemble, but closer to the day the school would get copies of the tunes on vinyl, and we danced along as these were played through the tinny horned speaker, “Nipper” conspicuous by his absence.

I can’t remember the titles of actual dances but they all had very rustic names like “Tumbledown Jig” and “Gypsy Promenade”, and consisted of moves like “Dip-Dive”, “Figure 8” and “Up and Double-Back”, terms which even now send a shudder down my spine. “Gay Gordon” of course didn’t have the connotations then that it does now, or we’d have never gotten through it.

These rehearsals would continue over a few weeks, and eventually we would get the hang of the moves, manage to stifle the ever present giggles, and eventually present some semblance of organised dance. One or two show offs (ahem!) would even try adding stylish swirls of their own, but these were quickly stamped on by “Miss”, not a great believer in individuality.

Then, one fine spring Saturday, we would head up to Greno, joined by teams from all the other “Ecclesfield and District” schools, Mansell, Monteney, Ecco, and all the kids with big foreheads from Lound. We would be dressed in white shirts, red ties, grey trousers (short, of course!) and white pumps. The girls wore white frocks and had red ribbons in their hair. The Village Green, behind the old chapel, was laid out so that the various troupes could line up in formation, with ropes dividing one section from the next. This was necessary as the “Morris Dancers” were also present, doing their usual stick-bashing and bottle-top waggling, and one school had a gymnastic display – riveting!

Having rehearsed to records, it always came as a big shock to find that the music on the day was being played live by a live brass band, and so the tempos were a bit different from those in our heads. We soon however got used to this, and at the opening “DA-DAAH!” from the band, we would bow to our partners and skip off to our proscribed routines, with “Miss’s” barked orders (“Up and Double Back!”, “Skip down the Aisle!” “Step and Hop, Step and HOP!!!”) Frittering through our tiny minds at a deadly pace.

I seem to remember the actual performance as being very enjoyable, heaving a collective sigh of relief when it was over. The applause from the locals was always jolly and enthusiastic, and we all bowed energetically, milking it for all we were worth. Some parents would be there (my own Mom usually showed up) but most kids were orphans for the day.

After performing, we were each given a voucher for a free Ice-Cream from the local Monfredi’s van, the mainstay of any summer outdoor event, and if we added an extra penny we got a “99”, covered in lovely gooey raspberry syrup. And of course, it didn’t matter if some spilt on your shirt, ‘cause the ordeal was now over.

I know it seems a bit "Heartbeat", but I can’t help think that in this current climate of knives and shootings, a short spell of “Country Dancing “would help smooth things over.

AAahh, them were the days…….

Was this, ' P,e Teacher Mr Wright Sat Us Down Sent For Ambulance ' the one who usually came to school on a motorise bicycle?

yes that was him if i remember he had blonde hair it was wavy.he used to give us talks about places we were going on school trips.i think we once went to Edingbrough can you believe going all that way on the train just for the day?

John Lambert was the name of the kid killed at Colley School, would have been a great footballer. Lived on Wheata Drive. I was in the same class as his sister Wendy.

yes that was him if i remember he had blonde hair it was wavy.he used to give us talks about places we were going on school trips.i think we once went to Edingbrough can you believe going all that way on the train just for the day?

My attendance at Colley Sec Modern School started in January 1950 or 51 after being transferred after Four months attending Burgoine School, Walkley.

My teacher in my first year was Mr Ken Thompson. Mr H Birch was the Head he was later joined by Alf Shaw with Mrs Bucannon as his deputies later. (After the Easter Holidays probably).

I was in the first 'A' Stream class that went all the way through the School.

Because my English Writing, Reading & Spelling was semi-illiterate Mrs Bucannon was always treatening to transfer me to the 'C or D' Stream but because my exam results in Maths, Technical Drawing and Science always, through out my school days, gave me a distinction pass rate of over 75%,

I always left Harry Birch in a tis-wass when deciding what to do. Usually I got Four Strokes of the cane for not trying harder!!! (That is true)

What was never realised, was that I was very hard of hearing, so listening to reading ryme and drama etc,. I' wasn't the least bit interested, simply because I could not hear it. I've often thought this was taken as my display of arrogance? My last Exam results from Colley were. Maths 97.5%. Tech Drawing 85%. Science 80%. Engilsh 25%. Spelling 15%.

As I've grown old I often wondered what the oppinion of anyone in the teaching proffession would be to this situation. I've also frequently wondered what people who be-little others because of their reading and writing abilities ever ask themselves, 'Why can't people read and write better'.

Years ago my son got a clip around the ear from his teacher for "gazing out of the window"He was quite upset because,he told me "Honest Mum"I was only thinking what to write down on my paper"

I've frequently wondered what people who be-little others because of their reading and writing abilities ever ask themselves, 'Why can't people read and write better'.

I often ask that - although I would never be-little them.

I am astonished at the high number of illiterate kids said to be leaving school in this day and age.

I never came across any of my former school friends who could not read or write.

Where are the Parents in all this?

Don't they read to them anymore - or is the Cartoon Channel on TV the new child minder?

I see it as my duty as a parent to get all of my children up to a decent reading standard before they reach Primary School - some kids at that age have never actually held a reading book - thats a big shame.

Years ago my son got a clip around the ear from his teacher for "gazing out of the window" He was quite upset because, he told me "Honest Mum" I was only thinking what to write down on my paper"

Nowadays Teacher would end up in Court.

A good occasional whacking (a cane on the hand) certainly kept me on the straight and narrow because I deserved it.

When I think back, we used to run riot with ''soft'' teachers.

I'd hate to be a Teacher these days.