Sign in to follow this  

What happens if you forget money at petrol station???

Originally posted by viking

Easiest thing is to remove your number plates before you set off (Just in case), fill up with petrol, then just drive off. :thumbsup:

We did this but got arrested accross the road where we'd parked up to put the plates back on :(

I know a couple of people who have done this and they have filled out a big form and been billed shortly after as they had some ID. This was a BP on the motorway however, and single ladies.

And she was only drinking a pint ;)

Originally posted by medusa666

Occasionally, as happened to me in Bradford recently, the staff refuse to take any proof of details, or any items of value, and insist that you leave the car and leave your car keys with them, and walk to find a cashpoint, and you can have them back when you return with the money.

It mattered not that I am disabled. It mattered not that I could show them a current bank statement showing over a grand in the bank account and was prepared to leave handbag with ID, phone etc, or that I offered to leave a £300 watch as surety for £40 worth of petrol. As soon as the stupid software turned down my card (wrongly) they told me that they were calling the police unless I gave them my keys and went on foot to find cash.

Boy did I shout at the people at the bank!

There's always a sign posted next to the pumps advising you to make sure you have the means to pay before filling up. That disclaimer is probably the means by which forecourt staff appear to be able to insist on cash payment?

Originally posted by redrobbo

There's always a sign posted next to the pumps advising you to make sure you have the means to pay before filling up. That disclaimer is probably the means by which forecourt staff appear to be able to insist on cash payment?

Although livid at the time I do understand that they have the right to payment for the petrol. I don't understand why they wouldn't accept surety (in excess of the amount owed) and licence as ID and allow me to find a cashpoint in the car, or allow me to return to my car for my blue badge to prove that I really am disabled. They also refused to accept that there could be a fault with the card transaction, and refused to try it again.

I had previously checked that they took my card and I knew that there was PLENTY of money in the account- it's not like I went in there to deliberately not pay, with my face and number plates on CCTV, and offering them my licence so they knew who to come looking for if I didn't come back.

I'm hardly a high risk candidate to do a runner (hah! run- couldn't run away if my life depended on it), and as a result I'll vote with my wheels and buy petrol when I need to buy locally from another (and cheaper, although a little further away) garage.

I wonder how many people would find themselves suddenly unable to pay if their normally accepted card was randomly refused?

You have my every sympathy medusa666. I can't say this has happened to me, but if it did, I'd sure take my custom to another petrol station after being treated the way you were!

:rant:

Or you could just offer to give them the fuel back. Syphon the correct volumne out of your tank and on to their forecourt if they're not going to provide you with a container.

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

We did this but got arrested accross the road where we'd parked up to put the plates back on :(

you thicko:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I wonder how many people would find themselves suddenly unable to pay if their normally accepted card was randomly refused?

I carry a spare card.

I often get people coming into the bank ranting that we've declined a transaction. When I check on the declines log, there's no record of it at all. That means it never reached the bank. Often "declined" transactions occur because shop staff don't know how to use their PDQ terminal properly, or because the network or their merchant provider is busy.

If you have a transaction declined that shouldn't be, call your bank and ask why!

It mattered not that I am disabled.

So, what did you do to get the money if you're disabled? Did you have to get someone to take you to the cash machine? And what happens if the cash machine is 5 miles away?

Perhaps you would have been better off letting them call the police then you would have got a free lift to cash machine.

:D

Originally posted by buxomhussy

So, what did you do to get the money if you're disabled? Did you have to get someone to take you to the cash machine? And what happens if the cash machine is 5 miles away?

Perhaps you would have been better off letting them call the police then you would have got a free lift to cash machine.

It took me the best part of an hour to get the half mile to the cashpoint and back, and was followed by rather a lot of pain. I can walk, but not very far these days without severe pain. In retrospect maybe I should have just burst into tears (that was what I felt like doing) and let them call the police. I find it really hard to believe that they would have bundled me up in the van.

And in answer to Andy, since dealing with losing my career to illness, my credit hasn't been good enough to have credit cards, so it was the debit card or nothing.

And in answer to Andy, since dealing with losing my career to illness, my credit hasn't been good enough to have credit cards, so it was the debit card or nothing.

Fair point. Is it also a cheque guarantee card? If so, carry your chequebook as a backup.