Strike action on the 30th, which schools are affected?

Surely with the amount of supply teachers that are used to cover the sickness that the permanent staff suffer, it would be easy to keep the schools open?

The permanent staff could strike for months if they wish - just bring the agency people in, no schools would need to shut.

It is a little silly when people compare the strikes of 2011 to 1926, people in public service can have 6 months of sick on full pay, as well as 6 months on half pay - back in 1926, people did not have any sick pay.

People back in 1926, often died before reaching retirement age and so pensions were not needed, holidays were a rarity in those days, so the current strikers of 2011 look like the 4 year old children who spit the dummy out because there mummys won't brest feed them on demand.

Sack all the strikers, bring in the agency staff and give them a proper contract. There is simply no excuse to strike in this day and age.

It was the same in winter, an inch of snow and the teachers were off. Did they care about the parents that lost a days pay, as they were sat at home keeping warm at home with a cup of coffee, oe going shopping? they did not give a monkeys about the parents who lost pay and struggled finacially due to them throwing the towel at the first sign of snow.

We cannot any longer be held to randson by selfish, pampered public sector workers - if they don't like what they have, then get out there and find something better in the land of the public sector.

And we get the same old arguement about the snow and teachers having time off, teachers do not decide if the schools close it is the Head and the SMT who have to consider H & S issues. The next time that happens don't blame the teachers, blame the compensation culture of this country, Head teachers and the SMT's are afraid of the schools being sued because of someone slipping on snow.

I recieved a text from Myers Grove Secondary, school will be open and operating as normal for years 7-9 years 10 are on work placements and Y11 have left already :D

Yewlands Tech, y9 only are off all rest of school are to attend??? Apparently x and Mansel have certain classes which are off too!! Aaaarrggghhh

And we get the same old arguement about the snow and teachers having time off, teachers do not decide if the schools close it is the Head and the SMT who have to consider H & S issues. The next time that happens don't blame the teachers, blame the compensation culture of this country, Head teachers and the SMT's are afraid of the schools being sued because of someone slipping on snow.

But there is the fact that teachers who live a little further out also 'can't get to work', leaving them short staffed.

EDIT: Mundella primary = No snow days EVER. Teachers all live in walking distance of work, and they walk there, along with most of their pupils. Nobody is scared of people slipping and being sued.

Edited by Leah-Lacie

Yewlands Tech, y9 only are off all rest of school are to attend??? Apparently x and Mansel have certain classes which are off too!! Aaaarrggghhh

When we got the letter saying my daughters class was to still attend (not the case now) my OH said it wasn't fair, and she would be taking the day off anyway. Quite right I think.

And I thought that we were a set of tax draining, unproductive, coffee swilling, skivers.

Can clarify this is un true :hihi: I've been working in a secondary school recently and OMG!! Teachers deserve more pay and perks, including annual stress management courses, but maybe a few less holidays ;) x

Edited by Andy
Fixed quotes

When we got the letter saying my daughters class was to still attend (not the case now) my OH said it wasn't fair, and she would be taking the day off anyway. Quite right I think.

I've one in Y9 and luckily my Y1 is off too cos ructions otherwise lol x But could deffo do without either being off specially as it 6 weeks hols soon :mad: x

I take back everything I have said about teachers throwing in the towel when it snows. You have presented a brilliant argument and are absolutely spot on.

I guess we reap what we sow. We wanted the compensation culture in this country, and now we have got the compensation culture in this country. This comes with the fear of being sued.

As someone who moans about my car insurance rocketting, its easy to see why.

So accept my apologies, I'm completely in the wrong when i comment on teachers not attending when it snows.

I have well and truely been beaten on this particular argument

Handsworth Grange - the Head will try her hardest to keep the school open

I am on a course on that thursday so I am going to have to miss it because of no childcare but hey ho a extra day with my kids woohoo fun all round. Big bottle of pop and polo mints here we come lol.

Unfair that the school was trying it's best to give your child the best education they can? My child is glad that his is one of two classes at school on thursday as he values his education. When he was five he actually cried because I took him out of school for an afternoon for a one off family event.

Every child has the right to an education (which every school and teacher try to give) and every worker has the right to decent working conditions and if they think this is not the case and negotiations don't work, they have the right to strike to get people to listen to their opinion.