Does anyone remember the Queens Rd Bowling Alley?

Hello 19CAW, I remember Wayne Rennick he lived on Norfolk Park so did Killer.There was Frank Senior,John Chappel, Johnny Jeffcock,Alan Kearney,David Marsh(Boggy) Richard Welch,Kenny Tompkins,and loads more.I worked there when Spider was there and I think Carol who worked on the desk,I think she lived on Norfolk Park too.The man who polished and cleaned the lanes was called Lol,and do you remember Pete Oldfield?and the Gartons worked at the bowling alley as well.

In the sixties we used to lunch and bowl, I think it cost 4/6. My friend and I spent many happy hours at the bowling alley.

Because of my memories of the bowling alley, some years ago I actually went out and bought a 1967 Williams "Apollo" pinball machine. Same as one of those that was in the arcade there.

It cost me an arm and a leg and never worked for more than 10 mins at a time, in other words exactly the same as the one in there.

Only problem was I couldn't ask for my sixpence back as I could there.

Oh The music. We used to play the same stuff over and over. Sitting On The Dock of the Bay.....Heard it Through The Grapvine....I could go on and on. Maybe the music was the biggest part of it. It was just such a good place just to hang around in. (for free) I mean one coffee meant an all day stay, and if you could run to a plate of chips....well! Best music and chips.

Ron I am not sure I remember all those names, maybe it was a tad before my time, or Ive just forgotten. Keep em coming and maybe it will all come back.

I was in a team that opened it from Christ Church Youth Club we called ourselves The Choppers!!

I remember killer and boggy I used to knock about with Roggert, after allnighters at the Mojo we allways ended up at bowling alley!

I used to bowl in one of the leagues there and one night a week it was free bowling down an empty lane.

There was a pinball machine that we burnt a hole through to the replay counter and we then just clicked how many games we wanted to play!!

Loved to see all scooters there, also did aspirin and coke work or was it in our minds after french blues or black bombers!!

Hello Alan P ..you seem to remember everyone. I remember all the mods in their great outfits, I even have a fishtail parker, ok so maybe im too old to wear it, but hey no point living if we let the terror at the end take hold. The party is not over yet. I have remembered the guy who did the lanes when

i was there...Philip Brightmore. He used to keep pressing the juke box over and over and over again, same stuff all day. Perfect. Was there really a time in my life that I actually knew what was the number 1 in the charts. Do they still have charts?

I could tell you a tale or two about the days we spent down at the bowling alley,what brilliant days they were.I was a bit of a lad in those days and Les Phillips offered me a job there but I had to work weekends I didn't last long I was missing going to the all nighters and he wasn't pleased that I would let all my mates in free on a sunday morning who had been to the Mojo. feederfil I remember Roggert, and aspirin and coke didn't work either.One friend I haven't seen for a long time is Paul Perozzi must get down the moor to say hello to him.

Think the manager after Les was called Derick, he was the one that had the snuff... Think Roy was the under manager. Erm ...trying to put names to the

staff behind the food counter. We did have lots of fun.

I also went to the MoJo....long before those days though, to get to the all nighters I would say that I was staying at a friends house. We used to go

to a pub near the mojo and drink Barley Wine with lime in. It was very very

horrid, but very cheap.

Used to go with a crowd from work (Pauldens then, now Debenhams)

If I remember rightly it was a shilling a game on Tuesdays early evening.

And I think there were times when all the lights were switched off except the alley lights creating an amazing effect.

Good times long gone.

spider was in the pitts repairing the machines he was a bit of a lad

Pete Oldfield was there in my time good at balls but not much else he did not stay long

Edited by Ron King
add

I can see Les Phillips now, he seemed old but everyone did who was older

than 21 seemed old.

Yes...remember spider. He had glasses and wore a leather jacket.