Does anyone remember Dolphin Street?

Yep, will be same age as me, but he went to Woodburn Road Juniors.

They got re-located to Gleadless valley if I remember right. My Dad insisted on a decent garden which is why we ended up in Basegreen.

[ made the mistake of letting one of our IT guys loose on my laptop

which has trashed my wireless broadband connection so might be intermittently off line at times...]

He was in my class then at Woodbourn Road, after that I went to Beaver Hill, like I said, we lived on Cottingham Street, left there in 1966 and went to Woodhouse. If you speak to him ask him if he remembers Ann Whiteley

You can still see on Google earth where Dolphin Street was ...its just a row of bushes / trees now behind a factory unit. The road above Dolphin is still there.

Hello Derrick

I remember your name and that of your brother as your dad and mine used to go up to the allotments together. I also remember that your dad had very dark hair. In fact, I still have a couple of gardening books somewhere that were given to me as Christmas presents by your mum and dad. They have a written inscription along the lines of "Merry Christmas Susan from Jonathan and Derrick". My name then was Susan Watson and my dad was called Les. We lived on Cottingham Street until 1959. I wonder if either of you remember me?

Hi jackygells - we were at no 22 from 1951 to 62 - the Guys - Alf, Renee, Jonathan and me (Derrick)

Hello Derrick

I remember your name and that of your brother as your dad and mine used to go up to the allotments together. I also remember that your dad had very dark hair. In fact, I still have a couple of gardening books somewhere that were given to me as Christmas presents by your mum and dad. They have a written inscription along the lines of "Merry Christmas Susan from Jonathan and Derrick". My name then was Susan Watson and my dad was called Les. We lived on Cottingham Street until 1959. I wonder if either of you remember me?

Hi Sue,

Just picked up your reply (my registration on Sheffield Forum keeps dropping)

I sort of remember Les - did you ever go up to the allotments with him (or us)

However my Dad is 87 next weekend so we will be calling in to see him and I'll

ask if he remembers anything.

You will have left Cottingham Street when I was 6 - where did you end up ?

cheers,

Derrick

Hi Sue,

Just picked up your reply (my registration on Sheffield Forum keeps dropping)

I sort of remember Les - did you ever go up to the allotments with him (or us)

However my Dad is 87 next weekend so we will be calling in to see him and I'll

ask if he remembers anything.

You will have left Cottingham Street when I was 6 - where did you end up ?

cheers,

Derrick

Hi Derrick

I'm about to 'pm' you - if I can manage it!

Sue

Dear Ronty

Have you tried the Sheff memorial depositary on Carver Street it is a small church next to the new fire station. The person I spoke to was Mrs Robinson about the memorial from Holy Trinity Darnall it was a while ago and I dont know if she is still there. If she doesnt know she may point you in the right direction.

There is also the National Inventry of War memorials on http://www.ukniwm.org.uk they might be able to tell you. If you know of a list for Holy Trinity Darnall can you let me know.

Good hunting,

Sue

This site is VERY good for info on most if not all the war memorials in Sheffield.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=4235

Hope this helps.

Baldy.

I used to live at 23 Dolphin Street with my Dad worked for British Rail. My Sister and Brother were born there too.

Our house was the other side of Marriotts Farm, Many a time my mum would say she would put us over the wall to the geese.

Uncle Alf and Auntie Rennee Guy were close friends to my parents, also Auntie Jean Gamble.

Our next door neighbour was Mrs Archer to one side and Pete and Ivy Spencer.

I remember crossing the railway bridge to go to Church and School.

There was a corner shop which my dad used to have a jug of beer on a Saturday.

We all played and grow up together, Happy Days.

When the Gails of 1962 hit we all had to move away which I remember was so very sad but we did keep in touch with alot of families.

If anyone remembers Don Gordon my late father please do feel free to reply? My name is Ruby.

its where my grandparents lived it was situated where the woodburn road atheltics stadium now stands....my grandma told me it was that narrow she could open her front door and knock on the door of the house across the road without moving off her front step,can anyone confirm this or better still show me a photo of it.

thanks

hi

my parents lived in dolphin street, they were called rita and brian lonsdale, my grandparents beatrice and fred hector, my aunt and uncle norah and david fox and their family. we moved from there when i was about 3 so dont remember anything about it. did you know any of them?

My great grandmother's husband and son were called Jacques, and were killed in the war and we lived in Dolphin Street. along with most of my other relatives.

Hi just to let you know that the hectors were my family, i am the eldest of rita hector, who has sister norah, brothers jack and fred

to Dean 1,hello ,I;m new to this forum.I was reading the Dolphin St., thread for information for a mate of mine,when I saw that you wanted the names of the men killed in the Nunnuery pit accident of 1923,If you get in touch,I'll send you the names Would have PM'd you ,but don't know how.

Hi just to let you know that the hectors were my family, i am the eldest of rita hector, who has sister norah, brothers jack and fred

hi fred hector was my grandad died in 2008 he moved with his wife elsie used to be called barnes to frechville where most of the family still live around the area