Burngreave - New Deal for Communities

I know from experience that the New Deal is the biggest waste of time ever, and whatever Government crackpot dreamt it up wants shooting! :rant:

Which, in keeping with most of your replies, has nothing to do with the original post.

Cheers for your valuable contribution.

Some changes have been made that are positive.

Some people just hear the work Burngreave and their racism slips out. I suffer from PTSD and agoraphobia, but I have no problem stopping off on my way home to go to the Elim supermarket on Spital Hill, the people who live and work around there are friendly, helpful and community minded. I feel safe and comfortable around there, my GP surgery is on Burngreave road and it is where my son trained for a couple of years.

I'm not saying it is a perfect place to live, but it is not Beruit, give it a chance.

The biggest problem facing Burngreave now is that huge Tesco which is being built on Savile street which is in danger of killing all the small local businesses, which are presently thriving.

The downside of the New Deal is that it gave the people who run Sorby house and the old vicarage the idea that they could charge city centre prices for the rooms and offices that they want to let, and many of them of financially off limits to local people wanting to start businesses and organise meetings etc. If the prices were more realistic, there would be even more people setting up business around there and the area would truly boom.

You have some good observations. The people who ran Sorby House were in fact the New Deal board themselves, though. the offices are massively underoccupied still.

Douglas, It is a crying shame and waste of a resource that the place is so overpriced and underused.

It would really increase community participation in the area even further if the prices were realistic and the terms for lease were better.