Burngreave - New Deal for Communities

Hi,

I am a student undertaking an MA Town & Regional Planning at the University of Sheffield. I am undertaking research for my dissertation regarding the New Deal for Communities scheme and in particular Burngreave, which was one of the 39 neighbourhoods where the scheme was implemented

I was wondering if any residents and even any former residents would be kind enough to offer their views and opinions of the area. I would also be interested to find out if residents have seen any notable change (e.g development, job creation, community involvement etc) since the New Deal was implemented, be that a positive or negative change.

Any opinions from non-residents would also be very much welcome.

Thanks

Biggest waste of money on the planet, they got millions while sheffields roads rotted - net result, they still keep shooting each other.

Hi,

I am a student undertaking an MA Town & Regional Planning at the University of Sheffield. I am undertaking research for my dissertation regarding the New Deal for Communities scheme and in particular Burngreave, which was one of the 39 neighbourhoods where the scheme was implemented

I was wondering if any residents and even any former residents would be kind enough to offer their views and opinions of the area. I would also be interested to find out if residents have seen any notable change (e.g development, job creation, community involvement etc) since the New Deal was implemented, be that a positive or negative change.

Any opinions from non-residents would also be very much welcome.

Thanks

There will be probably a number of unhelpful and offensive comments on this thread due to all the negative publicity around Burngreave New Deal. However, you could start by researching articles in the Burngreave Messenger, available on http://www.burngreavemessenger.org

Try going in to the area and knocking on a few doors. Not got a flak jacket for you though :D

WhY dont you contact a Sgt Craig Charlesworth from the police. Im sure he was on the new deal police team and still works in the area. He is well known in the area and well receptive to community issues.

0114 2202020 :):):)

or try 0114 2963913 ( office number )

Edited by Andover

There will be probably a number of unhelpful and offensive comments on this thread due to all the negative publicity around Burngreave New Deal. However, you could start by researching articles in the Burngreave Messenger, available on http://www.burngreavemessenger.org

Yeah, "research" in a rag funded by the Burngreave New Deal - that should give an unbiased and critical look at the whole money down the drain scheme!

Yeah, "research" in a rag funded by the Burngreave New Deal - that should give an unbiased and critical look at the whole money down the drain scheme!

Ah thank you. seriously, why not have a look?

Ah thank you. seriously, why not have a look?

I have, it's just adverts for Tesco and requests for money now taxpayers are finally not having to pay tens of millions to be given to anyone in the area who can put the word "community" before virtually any word.

Some changes have been made that are positive.

Some people just hear the work Burngreave and their racism slips out. I suffer from PTSD and agoraphobia, but I have no problem stopping off on my way home to go to the Elim supermarket on Spital Hill, the people who live and work around there are friendly, helpful and community minded. I feel safe and comfortable around there, my GP surgery is on Burngreave road and it is where my son trained for a couple of years.

I'm not saying it is a perfect place to live, but it is not Beruit, give it a chance.

The biggest problem facing Burngreave now is that huge Tesco which is being built on Savile street which is in danger of killing all the small local businesses, which are presently thriving.

The downside of the New Deal is that it gave the people who run Sorby house and the old vicarage the idea that they could charge city centre prices for the rooms and offices that they want to let, and many of them of financially off limits to local people wanting to start businesses and organise meetings etc. If the prices were more realistic, there would be even more people setting up business around there and the area would truly boom.

BBC Radio Sheffield had a panel discussion on 12/06 at around 7.30ish, radio presenter was Waheed Akhtar, see if you can get a copy of it. It was interesting as it also showed you the behind the scenes polotics.

Thanks for the responses, they're much appreciated.

Any responses are very much welcome and will all help inform my research

I know from experience that the New Deal is the biggest waste of time ever, and whatever Government crackpot dreamt it up wants shooting! :rant: