Meynell rd.school

Hi again Redted, Albert Quixall as you know went on to Manchester United and finished his proffesional career at Oldham and he went into the scrap business when he retired and was still living in that area the last I heard, his brother George has lived locally. I remember Dougie doing the football at the youth club after you had reminded me, he went on to become the landlord of The Matilda pub for a while, I used to go occassionally and it was good on match days as he would see me come in and a pint was being passed to me without much queuing unlike the others. Finally George Brown due his failing eye sight, George had to resort to wearing glasses and had to finish in the professional game and sadly went down the crime road before a premature death.

I went to meynell in late 70's, mr parkinson, miss carol (with the lisp) and mr plant was the headmaster.
I went from 1991 to 1999 and Mr Plant was the headmaster then when I was. Mrs Carroll the headteacher now and Mrs Mcksweeney the dept head. Mr Howard Marsh the piano teacher used to get me to sing in the hall :roll:. Then there was Mr Brashaw, and another Mr John Marsh and Mr Shaw.

hi Jacko,I knew Georgie Brown very well,in fact I was engaged to his daughter many years ago.I remember in the early 80s he'd just come out of 1 of her majestys' institutions & while he was inside his brother & his wife had moved into his parents house rendering him homeless,so we put him up for week or so.He was what you would call a 'likeable rogue'.He once told me while he was doing a stint 1 time he read Jhonny Haynes'autobiography & he actually gives George a mention,remarking on how good he was & wondering how his life had panned out,well we all know that score.Like you say Jacko,what a waste.

left in63 mr fairhurst williams fleming bunting salt knowles halliday mrs robinson and headmaster mr hemmings

I too left in '63. Bunting was my class teacher but had Mr Williams for maths and science. We used the Chaucer bottom field for Hockey and tennis before the new school was built. Meynell secondary closed the year after we left but i did go back to visit Bunting and Williams when they were at Chaucer (how sad is that!)

Yes I used to play hockey on Chaucer Field, was in Mr Buntings class and also Mr Samuel Redfus Williams for maths - he was great. One of the older teachers played hockey for England in the 40's and he gave me a pair of hockey boots - brown fabric - I think it was Mr Bramhall. I left in 1963 went onto Granville College with Margaret Quixall, Albert's sister and Felicity Dawn Revill. Would I remember you Swampy48!!!!!

Yes I used to play hockey on Chaucer Field, was in Mr Buntings class and also Mr Samuel Redfus Williams for maths - he was great. One of the older teachers played hockey for England in the 40's and he gave me a pair of hockey boots - brown fabric - I think it was Mr Bramhall. I left in 1963 went onto Granville College with Margaret Quixall, Albert's sister and Felicity Dawn Revill. Would I remember you Swampy48!!!!!

Hi Sue. Hope you are keeping well. Yes, it's Kath, we caught up a couple of years ago on here I think (or maybe it was friends reunited and you pointed me to this forum??). Not been on the forum for a while so I've just had a marathon catchup of all that's been going on.

Yes I was there between 1964 and 1969 when I left and went to Chaucer School.

I remember Mrs Beaumont, Miss Inman as teachers

Some of the pupils I remember

Douglas Savoury, John Barlow, Betty Miles,

Cardio414 you may remember my Mum - Betty Hibbert and my brother Nigel Hibbert. Dougie Savoury lived next door to us off Browning Road.

went to meynell rd school from 1952 to 1956 ,remember most of the teachers you mention.mr flemming I think married, miss Russell. can't be sure 'I have an old photo of our class , but I don't know how to put it on here .Twins mick and terry berdsmore ,bob abbot, bruce grubb,lots more .

Fred Flemming married June Madrell in 1955. I really liked him but he could be very strict. Remember one his favourite saying 'speak up girl, in sentences!!!! He used to do the gardening lessons.

I know Paul & David Murphy from this school

Cardio414 you may remember my Mum - Betty Hibbert and my brother Nigel Hibbert. Dougie Savoury lived next door to us off Browning Road.

Buggy Dougie.....lovely bloke,deserved better from his ex wife.