The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

For anyone who is interested here is a preview of the US version of the film staring Daniel Craig.

I'm sceptical of US remakes of European films but this looks sufficiently dark and atmospheric.

First time I saw that trailer (a few weeks ago when I ran it before a staff show at work) I was blown away. It looks like a solid adaptation, but the remix of Immigrant Song (apparantly by Trent Reznor and Karen-O) is what really grabbed me. Reznor is doing the soundtrack for the film, and with David Fincher directing I have high hopes for this film.

In all honestly I will probably watch this for the hell of it so I can compare it to the swedish films.

Having seen the swedish films I may be a bit biased however in the swedish version Lisbeth Salandar (Noomi Rapace) fitted my expectations of the character from reading the books. From looks to attitude Noomi Rapace had it all and she pulled off the character extremely well. Mikeal Blomkvist (Micheal Nyqvist) was also well played and fitted his character, which Daniel Craig does look similar to Nyqvist I highly doubt he will have the same style and demeanor so this I feel will spoil it for me.

Looking at the past work of Rooney Mara she is an upcoming actress who is trying to make it big. I have come to this conclusion as she appears to have just begun being a named character in films over recent years. My only experience of her acting performance is in the 2010 Nightmare on Elm Street and I have to admit I would always reach for the older films over this any day. THey were much more entertaining and I feel held Freddy Kreugar (Robert Englund) in much higher regard.

I would recommend watching the swedish version of the films if you can put up with subtitles or dubbed films because it really does fit the portrayal of Stieg Larssons masterpiece so very well.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (originally titled Man som hatar kvinnor meaning Men who hate Women) is very much swedish film making, everything is much stronger and more graphic than any american stuff I've seen (especially recently) and it's very hard hitting. I think this adds to its accuracy in the books.

Like I say probably worth a watch to anybody who hasn't read/seen the swedish version but I would highly recommend watching the original;

Just a quick warning - very graphic rape/abuse scenes and graphic violence.

I watched an interview with Rooney Mara and she mentioned the new release of this film.

The US version probably won't be as "raw" as the Swedish style.

I'm assuming it won't be anywhere even close.

My warning was just for the swedish one because that really is extremely graphic.

The only issue I have with american remakes is that they very often aren't anywhere near as good.

It's like Rec and Rec2 (spanish) were remade by the americans to Quarantine and Quarantine 2 (havent seen the second yet) but quarantine was absolutely awful.