Can Anyone Identify This Movie?

Possibly just a one-off ghost story : the Beeb used to do some brilliant ones, usually screened around Christmas time.

I remember two in particular : one called (iirc) "The Stone Tapes", where an old house had "stored/recorded" events from the past, and some present-day electronic gear had enabled a replay....cue murder, ghosts, footsteps in the corridor, etc.

The other concerned a couple who had crashed their car in a white-out.

They managed to struggle on foot to a remote Victorian vicarage (?), where they were confronted by various ghostly children and the like.....

The twist came at the end - where else?! - when the snowstorm lifted the next morning, and the couple returned to the car......only to see their own dead bodies in the wreck....

Great stuff!

Did you ever find out what this short film was called. I am having the same problem and i think you are talking about the same film but no-one seems to have heard of it or watched it when they werea child. It was set in 1970's/80's i remember there was a lot of low lying fog i watched it early 90's. I am pretty sure it was called out of the darkness or something but i cant find anything? If you found out can you let me know it is driving me crazy.

It was two boys who went wandering as they can hear the sound after moving to a new house but one boy goes missing,I remember also the cowbell round the boys neck and it was something to do with the plague and near the end the thick fog comes they see ghostly villagers with fire lights chanting? Someone ealse must remember this!!?

It wasn't one of the "tales of the unexpected" was it?

No it definately had the work dark or darkness in the title, it's driving me crazy!!

It was two boys who went wandering as they can hear the sound after moving to a new house but one boy goes missing,I remember also the cowbell round the boys neck and it was something to do with the plague and near the end the thick fog comes they see ghostly villagers with fire lights chanting? Someone ealse must remember this!!?

Hey sorry for my late reply. We are DEFINITELY talking about the same movie here. I will try your suggestion of a possible title. At least I now know it does exist :)