Sugarfree icecream and cake

Hi,

I was shocked recently when it came to my notice though we have high diabetic population...we just cater to minority of them with sugar free chocolates which are limited from Thorntons, Sainsburys, Tesco, Hotel Chocolat..

But wht abt icecream and cakes...never found anyone doing sugarfree..

If anyone knws it will be helpful...

Thanks

You can buy diabetic cakes and biscuits in the supermarkets - If you ask at any of the big ones, they sometimes even have a separate section... Plus, if you go to the sweet stall in castle market, traditional sweets are made sugar free for diabetics too :) Only one problem, they are also laxative!

Thanks Lady Star...

I have asked in Tesco, Sainsburys and other supermarkets...none have sugarfree icecreams and cakes...what they do is only chocolates

I will try out castle market

Those diabetic cakes raise blood sugars aswell, anything with carbs does.

I've seen diabetic ice cream somewhere but i can't remember exactly where it was. Most health food shops stock diabetic friendly snacks.

Are you type 1 or type 2?

Our dietician strongly advises against 'diabetic food' as they can have all sorts of complications such as raising blood sugar because of the carb content, diahroea, vomiting, stomach cramps, constipation.

Everything in moderation is a rule we live by, as long as the insulin dose is right and it's not every day then a little piece of cake should be alright.

As for ice cream, my son adores frozen yoghurt, more than ice cream actually x

I noticed Tesco at Infirmary Road were selling diabetic ice cream.

I'm diabetic and all the professionals and Diabetes UK advise against using so-called "diabetic" foods for the reasons given above. Small amounts of sweets or cakes, etc, eaten occasionally as "treats" are likely to do little damage compared to the so-called "diabetic" versions taken regularly on the (mis)understanding that they're OK.

The ideal diet for a someone with diabetes is the same diet that we should all aim to eat.

Thanks Lady Star...

I have asked in Tesco, Sainsburys and other supermarkets...none have sugarfree icecreams and cakes...what they do is only chocolates

I will try out castle market

Archer rd sainsburys def do them as I have been in with a diabetic pal and seen him buy them! They had a separate section, near the rest of the cakes and what not...

The ideal diet for a someone with diabetes is the same diet that we should all aim to eat.

Not strictly true - diabetics have quite specific needs when it comes to sugars, the rest of us can handle something that has some sugar in whereas it's best that they don't for their immediate health...

as someone who has had diabetes for 25+ years, you really do hear alot of crap about what 'diabetics' can and cant have, eat or drink.

a normal healthy diet the same as anyone else is recommended by NHS dietician, Diabetes Uk and many other support groups/medical authorities.

what is important is that anyone who has any type of diabetes listens to their care team and tweaks their own diet according to their care teams recommendations, based on their medications, lifestyle etc.

some diabetics can eat and drink what the hell they like - i can, i have done a DAPHNE course and tweak my insulin accordingly. yet the next person along with diabetes may not have the same diet as me as it is INDIVIDUAL to them.

Sugar free cakes and biscuits are not needed by any diabetic -the SORBITOL many of them contain as a sweetner is a laxative and its that which gives you the trots, sickness and wind! be warned!

if on doubt on what to eat - ask your care team, get a referral via them/GP to a dietician and go for it.

xgx

Its not for me, i prefere the real thing