Spelling on the Forum

Perfection or seeking perfection ruins people,s lives.

I think you're reasonably safe.

Can people not spell, or use the correct term these days?

Or is it just not considered an important part of the English language anymore?

lose or loose

there, their or they're

should've, not 'should of'

your or you're

I'm sure there are many more ... :rolleyes:

Here we go.!!

I am driven nuts by the much used phrase 'tarnished with the same brush'.

The saying is 'tarred with with same brush', tarnish means to rust, which you would not achieve with a brush. I believe such mistakes are known as 'eggcorns' (acorns). Other examples being 'a bowl in a china shop' and 'its a doggy dog world' - these two make me howl with laughter.

Another example, the legendary escapegoat :hihi:

Just found this by googling the word eggcorn, brilliant! http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

Eats shoots and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

Most bookshops will stock it.

Hey Austin, Is it true Dr Evil's father invented the question mark?

Bad spelling is one of my pet hates especially on signs, public notices etc. and if I see any I can't help but point it out. For example, every morning on my way to work I could see a lovely enamel sign for a business on City Road. It was for spare parts, including 'obselete' parts. I managed to get the phone number of the business from the sign and rang to tell them that the correct spelling is 'obsolete'. The person who answered said that it was the American version of the word. I couldn't help but laugh, but I noticed a while later that the sign had been amended.

Edited by Yorkiescot

Another example, the legendary escapegoat :hihi:

Just found this by googling the word eggcorn, brilliant! http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

Is half of three quarters of nowt is still bugger all OK?

Edited by crookesey

It's just one of those things that goes with time i think. As computers and phones are used to communicate more people shoten words because they know people understand them and it follows suit after that.

Not all are the same as some genuinely do have some sort of learning difficulties and/or didn't attend School much/at all. So on that note... cya ina bit im ov afk bbl lol...

Your attend school comment made me smile i had 100% attendance but that did not stop the teacher hitting you on top of the head when you struggled with spelling and yelling that it is spelt as it is said which of course is nonsense and still causes me spelling trouble to this day.

On an informal forum like this, the odd typo or spelling mistake could be ignored.

I'm gritting my teeth as I type this, as seeing spelling mistakes or incorrect word use grates on me, and jumps out of any post I read! However, I can recognise there are more important things in life.

What I find most annoying are long posts with poor spelling, no punctuation and no paragraphs. A well constructed post is so much easier to read!

Some very talented and successful people are dyslexic. My grandfather who was a very intelligent man, had been beaten by his school teacher in order to correct his left handed writing crime. His spelling was fine but his handwriting, using his right hand was poor.

hiya i remember my mum once telling me when she was starting to write at her school there were a few school mates of hers around the age of seven who would be using their left hands to write she said the teacher said they had to all use their right hands, this was in the early 1920s. her brother went to the same school and he had the best written hand i have ever seen, in fact it got him an office job in the 1950s ,the case being he worked on the railway as a trackman and when he started putting the timesheets in for the jobs done, the boss asked if he would like to work in the office, just to write any letters that may be needed along with other work.

I don't have a problem with the odd typo. It's the people who type huge blocks of text with no punctuation or those who put three dots between every sentence but don't use capitals, that drive me to despair.

Spelling mistakes are completely forgivable.

For me, plain lazy use of the English language is not.

Text speak for instance, or people too lazy to read back what they have just written to glance over for simple mistakes and to make sure what they have written makes sense.

Completely agree salmonbones, we all make spelling mistakes, typos and lapse on grammar, but some posters seem to bask in their inability to conjugate a sentence or communicate their message effectively-what's the point contributing if what you have to say has to be read a dozen times to be understood.

There also seems to be a growing caucus who champion this new anti hero-lambasting those who mention someone's lazy spelling.

Where will it all end? We'll be reduced to grunting like our Neanderthal forebears I tell thee :hihi:

Completely agree salmonbones, we all make spelling mistakes, typos and lapse on grammar, but some posters seem to bask in their inability to conjugate a sentence or communicate their message effectively-what's the point contributing if what you have to say has to be read a dozen times to be understood.

There also seems to be a growing caucus who champion this new anti hero-lambasting those who mention someone's lazy spelling.

Where will it all end? We'll be reduced to grunting like our Neanderthal forebears I tell thee :hihi:

You really amuse me BF! (in a nice way) :D:hihi: