Career in the Ambulance Service

I would really like to work for South Yorkshire Ambulance service possibly as an ambulance driver.

Could anyone give me any directions where I need to start?

I have already done the course at hillsborough and I have held a driving licence for 6 years

Hey sunshine,

Things have changed with the ambulance service over the last year. You now have to go to university to become a paramedic and unfortunately they don't have just ambulance drivers anymore. You have to be fully trained.

Sheffield Hallam run a 2 year Paramedic course. You must have 5 GCSE's including maths and english and then there are other requirements too. A levels/ a previous degree/ HE Diploma, They're just off the top on my head though.

Finally, you need to have a full driving licence and have passed an advanced driving course.

You also have to pass a physical and have some volunteer hours under your belt with somewhere like Red Cross or St John's ambulance.

That's just some basic information, feel free to PM me if you need more info or have a look here

http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/625/

Dx

Edited by selphie

Good choice. Friend of mine started off as an Ambulance driver about ten years back and now they have trained him up to be a paramedic, he left school with no qualifications. This was in Liverpool though.

I would really like to work for South Yorkshire Ambulance service possibly as an ambulance driver.

Could anyone give me any directions where I need to start?

Sorry to inform you but you won't get a job with the above service, basically because they have not existed for the last 4/5 years. They joined with Yorkshire Ambulance Service wich now covers all of the Yorkshire region.

At the moment there are a lot of drivers wondering what is going to happen with their jobs due to the cutbacks in the service..

Im afraid due to the Government cuts Yorkshire ambulance service aren't recruiting at the mo, in fact not many services are - have a look at the EMAS website too and they are in the same boat. I also have it on VERY VERY good authority (my best mate is a serving member of YAS) that due to pension reforms which are currently in the news that the ambulance service as a whole is getting shafted and that working conditions are no where near as good as they used to be.

Hey sunshine,

Things have changed with the ambulance service over the last year. You now have to go to university to become a paramedic true

and unfortunately they don't have just ambulance drivers anymore. true-ish

You have to be fully trained. not true-ish

Sheffield Hallam run a 2 year Paramedic course. You must have 5 GCSE's including maths and english and then there are other requirements too. A levels/ a previous degree/ HE Diploma, They're just off the top on my head though. http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/625/entry/

Finally, you need to have a full driving licence and have passed an advanced driving course. you need class c1 on your license, the service train to ihcd d1/d2

You also have to pass a physical and have some volunteer hours under your belt with somewhere like Red Cross or St John's ambulance. Both not true

That's just some basic information, feel free to PM me if you need more info or have a look here

http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/625/

Dx

Hope that clears some of that up:)

I suggest the OP does a bit of research on the NHS careers website/ YAS site and decide if they want to work in PTS or A&E ambulances, or A&R (hint, i wouldnt bother going for PTS)

Edited by ratter71
forgot comms

Just to say that the bit about getting some experience before applying for paramedic training is true. I know a couple of guys who were rejected for that reason (and it says so on the website...).

Just to say that the bit about getting some experience before applying for paramedic training is true. I know a couple of guys who were rejected for that reason (and it says so on the website...).

Volunteer hours with SJA, BRCS or similar are not a requirement. Who rejected your mates, SHU or YAS? Also the OP has not specified paramedic training and given the opening post i doubt that is where they are headed

I would say take a Public services course !