New food business- new or retro classic van? Please help me!!

I am wanting to start a new mobile catering business.

I love the idea of an old classic van.

Trouble is they come as standard with 1950s reliability (same as any vans that age)

No safety whatsoever, rubbish heating system, very slow (I don't care about a van being quick but we're talking 55 mph max on motorways) and never far away from rusting quickly.

But they have such bags of charm!!

A new van has:

Plentiful supplies of spares, a possible guarantee, no rust (VW T5 transporters at least!!), generally reliable, torquey with a nice amount of power, good creatures comforts as standards (nice to have chucked in for free) and fairly safe.

No charm though, zero image, zero "standing out".

No for a business image is everything, but so is reliability.

Which do I go for?

Edited by Sony

Retro one! It will make you happy and I would prefer to be a customer of a retro van. Go for Mystery Machine from Scooby or VW from 70s!

Good Luck!

whats the difference in fuel consumption? thats will have a big impact on your overheads.

do you need refrigerating equipment? in which case is reliability of the electrics/engine an issue to consider?

totally agree about the aesthetics, it does go a long way...but cost if going to be really importnant in the long run

x

Why not buy a new van and sell retro food?

whats the difference in fuel consumption? thats will have a big impact on your overheads.

do you need refrigerating equipment? in which case is reliability of the electrics/engine an issue to consider?

totally agree about the aesthetics, it does go a long way...but cost if going to be really importnant in the long run

x

Evidently the old van is going to be drinking a hell of a lot more than a modern diesel van. I will need fridge & freezers.

Some say (including the guy who would convert either for me) that the old van will cope no problem.

I, however, am not so sure...

I love classic and retro vehicles but for an everyday business van I'd say go new, otherwise it will cost you a fortune in fuel, repairs, and lost business while it's being fixed! You can make a new van stand out by getting it vinyl wrapped with some good designs, and you could also consider having a new van for everyday use and a retro one for special occasions.

Why not buy a new van and sell retro food?

if he buys the retro van the food will be retro by the time he gets there

i like andys idea :)

if you get a reputation for being unreliable you can wave good bye to the business...then the costs of fuel/repairs will pale in comparison.

x

ps. there a place that does vinyl wrapping next to attercliffe police station is thats an idea that floats your boat

Buying 2 vans and converting them both would cost me an arm and a leg!

Buying 2 vans and converting them both would cost me an arm and a leg!

go for the reliable one then...and save up for the retro one to use when the business is established and booming :)

it will allow you to build a solid business base and then have something huge to shout about to attract even more custom when its the right time.

x

go for the reliable one then...and save up for the retro one to use when the business is established and booming :)

it will allow you to build a solid business base and then have something huge to shout about to attract even more custom when its the right time.

x

It's totally the right thing to do, I just can't help but feel a bit peed off though as the business would do so well with the retro van.

To tell the you the truth, Sheffield City Council won't allow a new van where I'd want to be- but they would the retro one...