Broadband in stannington?

I'm moving to stannington end of july and need to get broadband installed! Been told lots of conflicting things about what is available and what speeds I can expect to acheive - all bad news so far. But confused, because I gather that the fibre optic network has reached stannington. I've been told by a BT engineer that BT own the hub and will have exclusive provision from it, but any research I have done points to digital region being responsible for it. They list 4 ISPs supplying the service that I've never heard of! Does anyone out there in Stannington know anything about all this get high speed broadband and who do you recommend to get it through?! :help:

I`m at stannington and yes the broadband is utter garbage.The cabinets are not BT owned and i got told my postcode was live but i saw an engineer at one of the cabinets(on Wood Lane)and he told me they were not live yet so i`d love to know if anyone has got a fibre connection yet.

Hi both,

Digital Region has a number of live cabinets in Stannington, and we have several users currently getting VDSL services from the ISP's who are signed up to the network.

Actual download speeds range from 30-40Mbps, and upload speeds from 10-16Mbps.

Please don't be put off by not knowing any of the ISP's...just because they are not household names like the big guys, it doesn't mean that they don't care about providing good customer service.

Any ISP cannot possibly be worse than AOL.I`m just getting out of a contract with them and will be signing up asap.

Any recommendations for a home user package or are they all basically the same?.

I can't praise O2 highly enough, but then down here in S3 I live near the exchange! The problem up in Stannington is that you're a long way from the exchange at Wadsley Bridge, so you won't be able to get anything like fast speeds, you'll be lucky to get 2 Mb IMO.

I can't praise O2 highly enough, but then down here in S3 I live near the exchange! The problem up in Stannington is that you're a long way from the exchange at Wadsley Bridge, so you won't be able to get anything like fast speeds, you'll be lucky to get 2 Mb IMO.

Hence Jeppers pointing out that Digital Region is available in parts of Stannington, meaning the distance to the exchange won't really make much difference.

You're still banging on about this despite being put right about it.

Broadband is transmitted via fibre optic cable and your distance from the exchange does not make any difference to the speed. The signal is transmitted via light which travels around 186 000 miles per second in a vaccuum, it will travel slightly slower in a fibre optic cable depending on the refractive index of the material but will still cover vast distances in a short time.

Hi I live on the far edge of Stannington going towards Dungworth. I have a very stable 40MBS connection provided by Origin Broadband through Digital Region.

I moved across from the only alternative service which has to go through the BT infrastructure and this can only yield about 1.5MBS in my area. BT and Virgin give no hints of installing an updated infrastructure, so there being no alternative to DR for a high speed connection.

By the way Origin Broadband give me the best service I have ever had over 20 years online. If you want more information on Digital Region from users try there forum at <http://www.drlforum.co.uk/>

Hi I live on the far edge of Stannington going towards Dungworth. I have a very stable 40MBS connection provided by Origin Broadband through Digital Region.

I moved across from the only alternative service which has to go through the BT infrastructure and this can only yield about 1.5MBS in my area. BT and Virgin give no hints of installing an updated infrastructure, so there being no alternative to DR for a high speed connection.

By the way Origin Broadband give me the best service I have ever had over 20 years online. If you want more information on Digital Region from users try there forum at <http://www.drlforum.co.uk/>

Origin Broadband = Digital Region, not ADSL which everyone else gets.

Origin Broadband = Digital Region, not ADSL which everyone else gets.

The OP mentioned going fibre-optic & Digital region & clearly is interested in the higher speeds.

It's already been mentioned that there are several users of DR in the area so no, not everyone else apart from Alec gets ADSL.

:|

Hi,

Stannington is live with Digital Region and we have customers experiencing the super fast speeds.

Drop us a call or an email and we can see if your connected and what speed your likely to get.

Kind Regards,

Origin

Just getting back to the original question.

Yes you have a choice between the BT (low bandwidth) and Digital Region (high bandwidth) infrastructures in Stannington.

Yes the ISPs on DR are not household names, but the quality of service 'I' get from Origin is second to non. However you can get a flavor of the others on the DR forum the URL for which I posted above.