Recomendations for block paving

I currently have a drive and front lawn. I am planning to take up the lawn and driveway and block pave the whole front. I also want to have the kerb dropped. Is there any regulations I have to meet concerning the block paving regarding the dropped kerb? I heard somewhere recently that the paving now has to be porous rather than direct water into a road drain.

Don't you also have to get permission from the highways agency forgot how much it costs or has all that changed?

I currently have a drive and front lawn. I am planning to take up the lawn and driveway and block pave the whole front. I also want to have the kerb dropped. Is there any regulations I have to meet concerning the block paving regarding the dropped kerb? I heard somewhere recently that the paving now has to be porous rather than direct water into a road drain.

You will need to apply for planning permission for the dropped kerb for definite.

The council will have a list of accredited contractors for you to get quotes from to carry out the work on the kerb.

Hope this helps.

Found the application form for the dropped kerb and a list of contractors. Can't see a problem there. Need to know if there is any criteria regarding water drainage off the driveway onto a public path or road. I have emailed the Council planning Dept for advice.

Found the application form for the dropped kerb and a list of contractors. Can't see a problem there. Need to know if there is any criteria regarding water drainage off the driveway onto a public path or road. I have emailed the Council planning Dept for advice.

Think you need to get planning permission or use a particular kind of block paving which allows the water to drain through to the ground underneath.

It turns out that the environment agency have picked up on the fact that all of the rainwater running off the thousands of houses who have converted their gardens to drives is now causing the drains to back up as they can't get rid of the rain water quick enough. Hence we are seeing more floods.

Think you need to get planning permission or use a particular kind of block paving which allows the water to drain through to the ground underneath.

It turns out that the environment agency have picked up on the fact that all of the rainwater running off the thousands of houses who have converted their gardens to drives is now causing the drains to back up as they can't get rid of the rain water quick enough. Hence we are seeing more floods.

Correct, i'm doing my drive at the moment, and if its over 5sqm (AFAIK), you have to have water running to a proper drain, or a soakaway 5m away from your house(if its non-permeable), your not allowed to let water run into the road either, and IIRC, I think you need PP for a drive of a certain size if you are using a non permeable surface.

Mine is about 20sqm so instead of block paving, I went for gravel which is what I wanted all along, but last time I enquired was told I couldn't, but after the floods it looks like they have changed the rules.

P.s you can get permeable block paving but its more £££

See below for the link to the environment agency's document regarding paving front gardens.

Guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/pavingfrontgardens.pdf

This should answer your questions about what surfaces you can have and how to get around planning if you want to lay an impermeable surface - by installing a soakaway or rain garden that the water runs into for example.

Good luck with it all. :)

Hi there.

Just wondered if anyone knew of anyone decent that could widen and repair my driveway? Digging out and walls will most probably need to be built either side then the drive will need tarmaccing.

Thanks

Carl

Happy to take a look and provide a quote. If you give me a ring tomorrow I may be able to come over tomorrow pm.

Hi. Any advice on who to use to block pave a drive?