Windows error recovery

Hi folks... I've tried to find some of the older threads that might help me with my problem but to no avail unfortunately .

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 pre-installed with Vista ..... bought new December 2007 ....and had no major problems with it until a few weeks ago when it started to run very , very slowly . I was advised (perhaps badly) to save everything and take the laptop back to the factory settings. I did this 2 weeks ago, reinstalled all the neccessary bits and bobs and it was working perfectly for over a week ....until one night when i noticed a message that Windows had updates ready to install . I looked at the updates and because it was an important update ... SP1 ... I clicked ok and sat back and waited . An hour and a half later the update finished with a message that some of the update could not install and would try again after restart . So I click OK ...and the laptop shuts down ...but won't restart !

I now have a black screen with the message '' Windows Error Recovery ''... Windows failed to start ......A recent hardware or software change might be the cause . ......and I have 2 options to choose from '' Launch Startup Repair(recommened).... or Start Windows Normally . Neither of these options will let me progress any further ...just counts down the 30 seconds and I'm back to where I started . The same happens when I hit F8 and try to go back to last known good config or even try to enter in safe mode

I did make a back up cd when I bought the laptop ...but , for the life of me and three days of searching , now that I actually need it I can't find the damned thing . I googled to try and find a solution and downloaded Windows Vista 32 bit Recovery Disc .....and even that doesn't work .

Any other ideas folks ....bearing in mind I'm not a technically minded person whatsoever .

PS. If it looks like it's in serious need of a visit to the repair shop .... how much would you guess it's likely to cost me ...approx ? Cheers!!

I'd consider sticking windows 7 on it. It solves a lot of the Vista issues.

As it does operate (albeit slowly at times) I'd be inclined to think this is a software issue rather than hardware.

I'd consider sticking windows 7 on it. It solves a lot of the Vista issues.

As it does operate (albeit slowly at times) I'd be inclined to think this is a software issue rather than hardware.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier .... no sooner had I posted my question ...the electricity company were here to change my meter (yes, that had stopped working too :roll:) so I had to switch everything off and then had to rush off out .

Thanks for the advice . ...it's something I'll seriously consider. Cheers :thumbsup:

It solves a lot of the Vista issues.

So does installing XP:hihi:

You have one more option, when you start your PC, shut it down from mains, then start it and you should, hopefully, get to screen where it should say that computer had a problem and not been shut down properly, you would have an option to LAUNCH REPAIR or start your windows normally. Use LAUNCH REPAIR and let it fix the problem. If it doesn't work first time, try at least 3 times, it should get to the point, where it will offer you to RESTORE your system.. try and let us know it worked for you, thanks.[/quote

I've tried this method too..let my battery run out of life and used the mains for power before battery started to charge ...and still get the same screen ..over and over again :(

Thanks for the suggestion anyhow :)

Thanks MoZaLaN .... technical jargon is a language I can't seem to master ...but never mind lol. Thanks for your input re the approx cost of a shop repair ...much appreciated !!

UPDATE

My laptop is back up and running .... yay !!

I finally managed to get into the repair options and go back to the factory settings. :clap:

It was something sooooooo simple ......and yes , go ahead, you have my utmost permission to laugh your little cotton socks off (or other preferences)at my beetroot red face ...when I tell you that I was just nodding off to sleep the other night when I realised the basic error I was making .... I was forgetting to hit the ALT key as well as F10 !!!!!!!!! :blush:

Ah well.... kept me out of mischief for a few days ....but I'm sure glad I didn't have to take it into the shop to be embarrassed ...phew !!

PS..... I do have a query though.

Do you think I would be better installing SP1 from a disc instead ...just in case the same thing happens again ?

i can't see how installing from a disc would make any difference myself.

I might give it a go anyhow ...rather than wait for the windows update to mess up again .:suspect: