Can leopard geckos eat dead mealworms?

Hi people.

I've just been offered 2 leopard geckos but before I say yes I want to check something about the food. I've read up that they eat mealworms but do they have to be alive? Just asking as my supplier can only get me dead.

Thanks for that! When you mentioned 2 geckos I immediately thought 'gecko gecko' and it reminded me of Siouxie and the Banshees (and the Creatures). Not listened to them for ages ... gonna listen to them now! (Sorry ... can't help you with the mealworm conundrum) :)

Edited by Alcoblog

There are loads of shops that sell live meal worms, can't you just go get some live food?

Hi people.

I've just been offered 2 leopard geckos but before I say yes I want to check something about the food. I've read up that they eat mealworms but do they have to be alive? Just asking as my supplier can only get me dead.

Mine only went for them if they saw them moving.

They might though if hungry enough.

I've got a Leopard Gecko and I think they mainly go for food that's moving. You can get mealies from any rep. store and they can last for quite some time so if getting to a store is a hastle get a couple of packs.

Also, they need to be alive so that you can gut load them on carrots and potatoes. This increases the nutritional value of the live food and gives the Gecko the nutrients it otherwise would not get.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try and help.

Edited by lee79
Additional info.

As said the basic answer is no they cant eat dead mealworms there would be no nutritional value in them and as said the mealwoms would need gut loading before feeding to leopard geckos, and leopard geckos only tend to show interest in food that is moving.

depending on what area you live you can get live food from the following places (there may be more places so feel free to chip in if anyone knows anywhere else):

Snakes and Adders - Intake (just before the embassy club as if you were heading towards birley/frechville from manor top. next to The Ball pub)

The Lizard Lounge - Hillsborough (down the tram route that i believe is the malin bridge way)

Sheffield Exotics & also The Snake Shop - both in Attercliffe (on that main shopping road that takes you towards the ice rink)

Blue Lizard Reptiles - Dinnington (shopping precinct near the rotherham/dinnington college)

They all sell live food and some do stuff like 3 boxes for £5 offers

Leopard Geckos will be very fussy on what they eat - not the type of live food just that they like the thrill of the chase. They have the capability (or stupidity which ever way you want to look at it) to stare at their food for a ridiculously long amount of time and not bother if it does not move. My two will often go for the tweezers i am feeding the worms with because the worms have played dead in a desperate attempt to stay alive (or become less mobile due to nearing the end of their life span) and my tweezers became the next available moving target.

I know they eat dead cockroaches. Seen them do it but that may have not been leopard geckos but some other gecko species. The one in my house killed a small rat as well. Should have heard the screams.

As said the basic answer is no they cant eat dead mealworms there would be no nutritional value in them and as said the mealwoms would need gut loading before feeding to leopard geckos, and leopard geckos only tend to show interest in food that is moving.

100% correct !

Dead mealworms are hollow and are of no use to your lizard. The best thing is to feed them crickets that have been left with a segment of orange in the cricket container so they are full of vit c and dust them with calcium powder. The powder is a must as the gecko dosent use a uv bulb and needs the calcium to digest the food and maintain healthy bones. Mealworms and wax worms should be treat like a treat otherwise your lizard will get FAT.

100% correct !

Dead mealworms are hollow and are of no use to your lizard. The best thing is to feed them crickets that have been left with a segment of orange in the cricket container so they are full of vit c and dust them with calcium powder. The powder is a must as the gecko dosent use a uv bulb and needs the calcium to digest the food and maintain healthy bones. Mealworms and wax worms should be treat like a treat otherwise your lizard will get FAT.

Its not only the calcium thats important its the calciums with added D3 as D3 is what they would get from the sun or a UV bulb, D3 helps their body to utilize the calcium and belly heat from a heat mat is what helps them digest their food. Not too sure on Orange i feed my live food on green vegetables i believe that the citrus from a fruit such as an orange is not good for reptiles, and mealworms are fine to use as a staple diet, along with crickets, locusts, roaches and various other insects cant remember them all, it is only Waxworms that are very fatty and leos can easily become addicted to them and refuse other food.

Uv isnt really required for geckos with them being nocturnal in the wild gut loaded food and dusting the crickets or locust 3 times a week is sufficient for them to live a be healthy.

Uv isnt really required for geckos with them being nocturnal in the wild gut loaded food and dusting the crickets or locust 3 times a week is sufficient for them to live a be healthy.

It is true that many have kept leos without UV for years without any problems (including myself) and even when they do have a UV bulb they still require D3 supplement either way, although recent studies are now indicating that a UV light can be beneficial for leos (But not essential) and that even though they are nocturnal if provided with a UV bulb they can and will utilize it and become more active and have been known to use it to bask under at times. Although do not attempt to use a UV bulb with albino morphs of leo as the UV light can damage their eyes.