Ideas to entertain a depressed, injured and housebound cat.

My boy Harry (you may remember him from punching a hole through the conservatory roof and beating up the neighbours dogs), came home late Friday night in a very bad way after an encounter with what we think is some razor wire.

He's had to have his top lip and part of his cheek reattached and is now confined to barracks with a buster collar on and he's not happy about it.

After two days of constant cuddling being enough, he's bored, itchy and frankly depressed.

I'm looking for ways to keep him busy and entertained without him hurting himself further. Seeing the normally hyperactive and frankly demonic little man moping so badly is heart breaking.

So please, any suggestions on how to keep him busy will be greatly apreciated.

Cat nip treats? Will help him chill after some initial hyperness. Mine also love chasing after some decorative twigs I've got or playing with screwed up tinfoil balls on the wooden floors - it's whether he can mange that with the collar on. Could you take the collar off for a bit and keep a close eye on him? Personally I find them way OTT and I would be depressed if I had to wear one. Not all cats mess with their wounds, and your little fellas sounds like it may be too sore for him to touch anyway. Bless him

Edited by smudge74

We got him some, but I was wary of giving him any incase he went on one of his crazy rampaging round the house, attacking the other cats adventures. I'm worried one of the others will smack him in the face to be honest. I might try him on one or two, just enough to relax him though.

I'd give it a go, cats are usually pretty self limiting if they are unwell or in pain. He'll know his limits :)

He's sleeping them off now :)

Oh no! Poor Harry!

As hard as it is to let him go through it, moping is actually what he needs to do at the moment. It's part of the purpose of putting them in a lampshade- they hate it but it makes them hold still and limits the damage that they cause themselves. There's an alternative to lampshades which is less restrictive, but they wouldn't prevent Harry from scratching his face, so I'm afraid that there's little choice but to make him stay in it as a single scratch kick could reopen stuff that's meant to be healing.

Please give him a fuss from me and Molly Moo :(

Fuss given :)

I wouldn't dream of taking the collar off, no matter how much it's driving him up the wall. I hate to see him pacing and so fed up though. He was born to be a wild, feral (with cuddles and a litter tray and a big comfy bed, but try telling him that's not feral) creature and right now it's like looking at a caged lion.

I don't think it helps that Billy won't come near him and has started growling and spitting when he see's him too.

On a plus note, we know where the razor wire is and we're in the process of getting the people that have it to get it removed.

Hopefully no more kitties will have to suffer what he's going through because of it.